The Race for The FF MILC is ON!

Old January 20th 18, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default The Race for The FF MILC is ON!

We've heard 'bout the Nikon Z FF mount 16mm flange! Could be a
winner... But now Canon seem to be entering the game with a FF EOS M!!!
18mm flange but the concept is proven!!!

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-sends-invites-to-dealers-for-major-mirrorless-presentation-next-month/

http://tinyurl.com/yblyluqp

What is "Flange"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance
--
teleportation kills

Old January 20th 18, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 20, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

We've heard 'bout the Nikon Z FF mount 16mm flange! Could be a
winner... But now Canon seem to be entering the game with a FF EOS M!!!
18mm flange but the concept is proven!!!

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-sen...ajor-mirrorles
s-presentation-next-month/

http://tinyurl.com/yblyluqp

I was happy enough with an APS-C DSLR, and I am happy enough with an APS-C
MILC. If I ever find myself desiring a larger sensor I might as well go to
MF.

What is "Flange"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

Some of us have already figured out what flange distance is.

Savageduck

Old January 21st 18, 06:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-01-20 19:12:28 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Jan 20, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

We've heard 'bout the Nikon Z FF mount 16mm flange! Could be a
winner... But now Canon seem to be entering the game with a FF EOS M!!!
18mm flange but the concept is proven!!!

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-sen...ajor-mirrorles
s-presentation-next-month/

http://tinyurl.com/yblyluqp

I was happy enough with an APS-C DSLR, and I am happy enough with an APS-C
MILC. If I ever find myself desiring a larger sensor I might as well go to
MF.

MF as in medium format ain't no more sinze the new sensor is nowhere
near 6x4.5cm but that said a Fuji GFX cost at least twice the dough of
an Sony equivalence. 6k vs 3k GBP for the back only...

https://www.parkcameras.com/search/go?w=fujifilm+gfx

https://www.parkcameras.com/search/go?w=sony+a7riii

What is "Flange"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

Some of us have already figured out what flange distance is.

Good for you!
--
teleportation kills

Old January 21st 18, 08:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 20, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-01-20 19:12:28 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Jan 20, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-sen...r-major-mirror
les
s-presentation-next-month/

http://tinyurl.com/yblyluqp

I was happy enough with an APS-C DSLR, and I am happy enough with an APS-C
MILC. If I ever find myself desiring a larger sensor I might as well go to
MF.

MF as in medium format ain't no more sinze the new sensor is nowhere
near 6x4.5cm but that said a Fuji GFX cost at least twice the dough of
an Sony equivalence. 6k vs 3k GBP for the back only...

https://www.parkcameras.com/search/go?w=fujifilm+gfx

https://www.parkcameras.com/search/go?w=sony+a7riii

Those are two very different cameras when it comes to sensor size among other
things. The Sony a7R III has a FF 35.9mm x 24mm 42.2MP sensor. The Fujifilm
GFX50S has an MF 43.8mm x 32.9mm 51.4MP sensor. That Sony could hardly be
called an equivalence, it isn't.

If you are looking for a camera to compare the GFX50S with, you need to look
to the Hasselblad X1D-50c. That camera has an MF 43.8mm x 32.9mm 50MP sensor.
those two cameras are equivalents worthy of comparison.

....and if you compare prices of those two:

Fujifilm GFX50S (body): $6499.95

Hasselblad X1D-50c (body): $7995.00

Old January 21st 18, 10:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-01-21 07:26:02 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Jan 20, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-01-20 19:12:28 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Jan 20, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

[...]

The factor in sensor size, and that is that that make medium format
captures their special beetween these cameras are 1.7 and not the
classical 2.8...

If you are looking for a camera to compare the GFX50S with, you need to look
to the Hasselblad X1D-50c. That camera has an MF 43.8mm x 32.9mm 50MP sensor.
those two cameras are equivalents worthy of comparison.

...and if you compare prices of those two:

Fujifilm GFX50S (body): $6499.95

Hasselblad X1D-50c (body): $7995.00

Yes, the Fuji seem to have an introductory price I lieu of their
comeback to the "pseudo MF" market. Fuji and Hassy have shared tech
before and I wouldn't be surprised if this is a new example of that
cooperation.

Old January 21st 18, 11:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Headon

On 2018-01-20 19:12:28 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Jan 20, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I started reading this thread thinking it was about MILFs!

--
Mike Headon
R69S R850R

---

Old January 21st 18, 11:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 20/01/2018 16:30, android wrote:
We've heard 'bout the Nikon Z FF mount 16mm flange! Could be a winner...
But now Canon seem to be entering the game with a FF EOS M!!! 18mm
flange but the concept is proven!!!

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-sends-invites-to-dealers-for-major-mirrorless-presentation-next-month/

http://tinyurl.com/yblyluqp

What is "Flange"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

Personally, I don't see sufficient advantage in full-frame MILC if new
lenses are required. Is the size and weight reduction a significant
gain? What else?

For my own needs MFT is quite adequate, and I could never go back to FF.

--
Cheers,
David
Old January 21st 18, 12:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-01-20 19:12:28 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Jan 20, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

[...]

What's ever on your mind...
--
teleportation kills

Old January 21st 18, 12:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-01-21 10:51:17 +0000, David Taylor said:

On 20/01/2018 16:30, android wrote:
We've heard 'bout the Nikon Z FF mount 16mm flange! Could be a
winner... But now Canon seem to be entering the game with a FF EOS M!!!
18mm flange but the concept is proven!!!

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-sends-invites-to-dealers-for-major-mirrorless-presentation-next-month/

http://tinyurl.com/yblyluqp

What is "Flange"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

Personally, I don't see sufficient advantage in full-frame MILC if new
lenses are required. Is the size and weight reduction a significant
gain? What else?

The size and weight can be reduced and and image quality improved
since the nodal point can be moved closer to the sensor giving the
enginers more options in the lens design.

Old January 21st 18, 12:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 21/01/2018 11:08, android wrote:
[]
The size and weight can be reducedĀ* and and image quality improved since
the nodal point can be moved closer to the sensor giving the enginers
more options in the lens design.

Yes, wide-angle lenses could be better (although likely not cheaper!)
with FF MILC, I agree. But otherwise I see very little gain.

Had Nikon/Canon offered FF/APS-C several years back it /might/ have been
different, but I feel they've missed the boat, now. Unless many
professionals are demanding MILC, that is.

--
Cheers,
David