How to hold the camera steady

Old September 10th 16, 02:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

Default How to hold the camera steady

Believe it or not, I do have a digital camera. It's a Vivitar, 7Mp,
about the size of a cigarette pack, with a screen about 1.5" square.

For the purpose(s) I need it, it does a fine job. But I grew up on 35mm
SLR's, held right up against my face. This camera needs to be about
10-12" away (just guessing-never measured!) to see the screen. I have
trouble holding it steady.

Option one: What's the best way to hold this camera? I'm considering
some type of handle/grip screwed into the tripod socket.

Option two: If I were to replace this camera, are there any inexpensive
_eyelevel_ _viewfinder_ cameras, similar in shape and feel to a 35mm
SLR, available? I don't need interchangeable lenses, but I do need a
close-up option: sufficient to fill the frame with a 8.5x11" page. This
camera would only be used for my "second job", which requires a small,
unobtrusive camera (manual or no flash) and does not need extreme light
sensitivity or top-of-the-line resolution- facebook quality is enough.

Thanks!
--
Ken Hart

Old September 10th 16, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

Believe it or not, I do have a digital camera. It's a Vivitar, 7Mp,
about the size of a cigarette pack, with a screen about 1.5" square.

that would explain your comments regarding digital photography.

For the purpose(s) I need it, it does a fine job. But I grew up on 35mm
SLR's, held right up against my face. This camera needs to be about
10-12" away (just guessing-never measured!) to see the screen. I have
trouble holding it steady.

Option one: What's the best way to hold this camera? I'm considering
some type of handle/grip screwed into the tripod socket.

any handle grip would work, optionally stabilized, but that would
overkill for a low end camera.

Option two: If I were to replace this camera, are there any inexpensive
_eyelevel_ _viewfinder_ cameras, similar in shape and feel to a 35mm
SLR, available? I don't need interchangeable lenses, but I do need a
close-up option: sufficient to fill the frame with a 8.5x11" page. This
camera would only be used for my "second job", which requires a small,
unobtrusive camera (manual or no flash) and does not need extreme light
sensitivity or top-of-the-line resolution- facebook quality is enough.

there are a *lot* of such cameras, often called bridge cameras.

they will almost always have a built in flash but that can easily be
disabled. however, not all will have a fully manual mode, but you may
find that isn't actually needed.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras
Old September 10th 16, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-09-10 01:53:42 +0000, Ken Hart said:

[...]

To find a digital compact with an eye-level OVF is going to be a tough
task these days. If that is what you insist on I would suggest looking
for a used Canon G11, G12, D15, or G16 they should be affordable now,
and are quite good performers.
Here some suggestions for older cameras to look at in addition to the
Canons mentioned:
Canon A1400
Nikon P7000
Nikon P7100
Fujifilm X10
Fujifilm X20

Regardless of being older cameras they should be available via Amazon
and/or eBay.

Why are you discounting interchangeable lens cameras and/or fixed focal
length cameras?

There are some very good M4/3 and APS-C mirrorless from all of the
manufacturers, some with OVF and some with EVF.

Savageduck

Old September 10th 16, 03:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-09-10 01:53:42 +0000, Ken Hart said:

Believe it or not, I do have a digital camera. It's a Vivitar, 7Mp,
about the size of a cigarette pack, with a screen about 1.5" square.

For the purpose(s) I need it, it does a fine job. But I grew up on 35mm
SLR's, held right up against my face. This camera needs to be about
10-12" away (just guessing-never measured!) to see the screen. I have
trouble holding it steady.

Option one: What's the best way to hold this camera? I'm considering
some type of handle/grip screwed into the tripod socket.

There are two solutions I can think of, and both are a variation on the
same theme:
1: If your camera has a eck strap, or fittings to accomodate a neck
strap make sure you have one attached. Then with the strap adjusted and
around your neck so that you can see the LCD screen when held/pushed
away from your face, you should have enough tension to provide some
stability.
2: If the camera does not have a strap, or strap rings, use the tripod
socket you add a strap or loop with which you can use the same
technique to gain some stability.

Old September 10th 16, 05:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 09/09/2016 10:44 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2016-09-10 01:53:42 +0000, Ken Hart said:

[...]

Thank you for that list. I will begin researching them.

Why are you discounting interchangeable lens cameras and/or fixed focal
length cameras?

I am discounting them because I don't intend to give up my "old" film
based Canon FX system, and I don't need much flexibility for my intended
use.
(I do contract "audits", and the photos are used for documenting chain
store displays and conditions. Sometimes, the photos must be taken
covertly.)

Old September 10th 16, 05:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 09/09/2016 10:52 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2016-09-10 01:53:42 +0000, Ken Hart said:

[...]

It does not have neck strap fittings, but I know what you are saying. I
had forgotten about that very old technique!

Old September 10th 16, 05:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 09/09/2016 11:04 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 09 Sep 2016 22:53:43 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 21:53:42 -0400, Ken Hart
wrote:

[...]

If the purpose of your question is to determine a way to hold the
camera steady, and your current camera is sufficient camera-wise,
consider a simple copy stand like this at $30:

http://tinyurl.com/gryj2qg or

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RPS-RS-CS...op-Copy-Stand/

41514933?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1316&ad id=
22222222227029301382&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=58029090 191&wl4=
pla-64093626487&wl5=9011747&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl1 0
=112549887&wl11=online&wl12=41514933&wl13=&veh=sem

You'd have to determine if the camera will take in a full 8.5" x 11"
page when placed 5.25" above the sheet, though.

It's also available from B&H at about the same price with free
shipping.

http://tinyurl.com/gnnnmww

Here's one that looks better for under $30 including shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ball-Hea...nd-For-Camera-

DSLR-Macro-Photography-Product-Shoot-/370860390243

Thank you!

Document copying is a small part of my use. Typically, I will shoot
10-20 photos of the business environment (merchandising displays, ADA
compliance, signage, etc) that I am auditing, and one or two documents
as proof that I was there.
However, the item on eBay looks promising. Not the stand, but the riser,
to use as a handle.

--
Ken Hart

Old September 10th 16, 06:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Ken Hart says...

Option one: What's the best way to hold this camera? I'm considering
some type of handle/grip screwed into the tripod socket.

I get the best results when holding the camera about 20-30 cm from the
eyes. My guess is that the arms act as shock absorbers, contributing to
stabilise the camera.

Also, if you are looking at the LCD screen, you see immediately if the
frame is moving (when looking through a viewfinder you might not notice
that).
--
Alfred Molon

Old September 10th 16, 08:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

If you are photographing a stationary object under poor light, try using
the self-timer. I did this for good pix inside a church in Istanbul with
exposures in the range of 1/8th and 1/4 second, using H.S. Ektachrome
with nice results. Using the self-timer eliminates the shutter release
jolt and lets you hold the camera firmly with 2 hands.

Good luck,

Mort Linder

Old September 10th 16, 10:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Ken Hart:
Option one: What's the best way to hold this camera? I'm considering
some type of handle/grip screwed into the tripod socket.

A tripod screwed into the tripod socket.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm