IrfanView resizing quirk

Old September 7th 16, 10:28 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default IrfanView resizing quirk

In article , PAS wrote:

I have an intel SSD but an AMD CPU!!

so what?

many computers have an intel cpu and amd gpu.

yes, but my combination is unusual.very few people buy AMD CPUs
because they're supposed to be crap, overheat easily etc. I'd say that
95% of all PCs including laptops have intel CPUs the rest
AMD.Actually, any *decent* CPU from both manufacturers is a very good
choice, much more critical, important and overlooked is the mobo and
PSU. Better get a decent mobo and an AMD CPU than an intel CPU and a
crappy mobo. And at least an 80+bronze PSU, as it's *very* critical
for the health of your components. (I am talking about traditional
PCs;not tablets, laptops et al.).When I say decent I mean at least an
A6 from AMD or an i3 from intel;pentium, celeron, sempron, athlon is a
no-no.

Very few people buy AMD processors? In the latest qtr of 2016, 20% of
computers sold had AMD processors, down from 30% in 2013. Your estimate
of 95% is way off.

in other words, intel is 80% overall and growing, up from 70% just
three years ago.

for laptops, it's nearly all intel.

and that's about to change
Old September 7th 16, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , android
wrote:

I have an intel SSD but an AMD CPU!!

so what?

many computers have an intel cpu and amd gpu.

yes, but my combination is unusual.very few people buy AMD CPUs because
they're supposed to be crap, overheat easily etc. I'd say that 95% of
all PCs including laptops have intel CPUs the rest AMD.Actually, any
*decent* CPU from both manufacturers is a very good choice, much more
critical, important and overlooked is the mobo and PSU. Better get a
decent mobo and an AMD CPU than an intel CPU and a crappy mobo. And at
least an 80+bronze PSU, as it's *very* critical for the health of your
components. (I am talking about traditional PCs;not tablets, laptops et
al.).When I say decent I mean at least an A6 from AMD or an i3 from
intel;pentium, celeron, sempron, athlon is a no-no.

It's interesting to se nospam taking such an interest in Windows. Something must have
happened...

i didn't say anything about windows.
Old September 7th 16, 10:28 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
wrote:

I have an intel SSD but an AMD CPU!!

so what?

many computers have an intel cpu and amd gpu.

yes, but my combination is unusual.very few people buy AMD CPUs because
they're supposed to be crap, overheat easily etc.

that's correct. they mostly are compared to intel.

I'd say that 95% of
all PCs including laptops have intel CPUs the rest AMD.Actually, any
*decent* CPU from both manufacturers is a very good choice, much more
critical, important and overlooked is the mobo and PSU. Better get a
decent mobo and an AMD CPU than an intel CPU and a crappy mobo.

it's not either/or.

it's quite possible to get an intel cpu *and* a good mobo.

And at
least an 80+bronze PSU, as it's *very* critical for the health of your
components. (I am talking about traditional PCs;not tablets, laptops et
al.).When I say decent I mean at least an A6 from AMD or an i3 from
intel;pentium, celeron, sempron, athlon is a no-no.

i3?? who bothers with an i3 except for low end crap?
Old September 8th 16, 02:42 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 9/7/2016 5:28 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PAS wrote:

[...]

But it's not 95% and that was my point. Don't count AMD out. At one
time, their Athlon processor outperformed anything Intel made. It can
happen again.

Old September 8th 16, 04:06 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PAS wrote:

[...]

so it's 80%. big deal. it's still the vast majority, and for laptops,
which has long outsold desktops, it probably is around 95%.

Don't count AMD out.

i'm not, but they're definitely the minority and by *your* numbers,
their share is *shrinking*.

At one
time, their Athlon processor outperformed anything Intel made.

and sucked down power like no tomorrow.

that doesn't work very well in laptops or mobile.

It can
happen again.

yep, with arm.
Old September 8th 16, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Diesel

PAS Thu, 08 Sep
2016 13:42:54 GMT in alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

But it's not 95% and that was my point. Don't count AMD out. At
one time, their Athlon processor outperformed anything Intel made.
It can happen again.

Outperformed.. depends on your POV. It used a lot more power than other
cpus of the genre, and, they had a tendency to fail from overheating
because AMD went cheap and didn't include CPU self preservation
technologies.

--
MID:
zip file but then not be able to unzip it so I can watch it. That
Old September 8th 16, 10:47 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 21:36:21 -0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

PAS Thu, 08 Sep
2016 13:42:54 GMT in alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

But it's not 95% and that was my point. Don't count AMD out. At
one time, their Athlon processor outperformed anything Intel made.
It can happen again.

Outperformed.. depends on your POV. It used a lot more power than other
cpus of the genre,

Dusty, were your specials pulling 10,000 yottaflops? Advise.

and, they had a tendency to fail from overheating
because AMD went cheap and didn't include CPU self preservation
technologies.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

--
p-0.0-h the cat

Devil incarnate, Linux user#666, ******* hacker, Resident evil, Monkey Boy,

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896

Old September 9th 16, 03:10 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 9/8/2016 5:36 PM, Diesel wrote:
PAS Thu, 08 Sep
2016 13:42:54 GMT in alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

But it's not 95% and that was my point. Don't count AMD out. At
one time, their Athlon processor outperformed anything Intel made.
It can happen again.

Outperformed.. depends on your POV. It used a lot more power than other
cpus of the genre, and, they had a tendency to fail from overheating
because AMD went cheap and didn't include CPU self preservation
technologies.

When the first Athlon was released, it was faster than the Pentium III
running business software and even faster in gaming. Bottom line is
that the performance of the Athlon was superior to the Pentium III.
Yes, there was a tendency for failure from overheating if the CPU fan
failed but as long as the fan didn't fail, there wasn't a problem.
Old September 9th 16, 03:17 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 9/8/2016 8:46 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
wrote:

I have an intel SSD but an AMD CPU!!
so what?

many computers have an intel cpu and amd gpu.

yes, but my combination is unusual.very few people buy AMD CPUs because
they're supposed to be crap, overheat easily etc. I'd say that 95% of
all PCs including laptops have intel CPUs the rest AMD.Actually, any
*decent* CPU from both manufacturers is a very good choice, much more
critical, important and overlooked is the mobo and PSU. Better get a
decent mobo and an AMD CPU than an intel CPU and a crappy mobo. And at
least an 80+bronze PSU, as it's *very* critical for the health of your
components. (I am talking about traditional PCs;not tablets, laptops et
al.).When I say decent I mean at least an A6 from AMD or an i3 from
intel;pentium, celeron, sempron, athlon is a no-no.

So where does a Raspberry Pi fit into this spectrum?

My objection to AMD CPUs is not that "they're supposed to be crap", it's
that generally speaking when I throw any kind of software at a system
that's all Intel it generally works without much hassle. The same is
not true if it has a non-Intel CPU or non-Intel chipset.

An i3 may be enough or too much or too little depending on your needs.
For some applications an Atom is fine. For others an I7 is way light.

As for an "80+ bronze" power supply, I would prefer a power supply that
is known to work reliably to one that has some pretty label on it
claiming how wonderful it is.

What software are you referring too? I've been using AMD chips in all
of the desktops I've had over the years (with the exception of the first
one I owned which came with a Cyrix CPU - remember those?). I've built
systems with AMD CPUs and boards with Via, nVidia, and AMD chipsets and
never experienced any issues running software. I'm talking about the
"typical" for me software such as WordPerfect, Office, Photoshop, and
some others - no games.
Old September 10th 16, 02:29 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Shadow

Default [OT] IrfanView resizing quirk

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 03:52:46 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

What software are you referring too? I've been using AMD chips in all
of the desktops I've had over the years (with the exception of the first
one I owned which came with a Cyrix CPU - remember those?). I've built
systems with AMD CPUs and boards with Via, nVidia, and AMD chipsets and
never experienced any issues running software. I'm talking about the
"typical" for me software such as WordPerfect, Office, Photoshop, and
some others - no games.

So what's the oldest AMD machine you have that runs
Windows 10 reliably?

I don't think Win 10 runs on ANYTHING "reliably". But I have
a machine running Win98 on a K6-2 450 at the sitio (ranch). That's
reliable. Well, at least it does not spy on me....
OT up, the subject line has been ignored too long.
[]'s

--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012