Does anyone make ...

Old September 9th 10, 04:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Doug McDonald[_4_]

Default Does anyone make ...

On 9/6/2010 12:04 AM, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
In omediainc,
Donn wrote:

So when I looked at Kodak large format in the '80s, it was "Vericolor" -
I think Vericolor II ISO 100 tungsten balance, and Vericolor III
ISO 160 daylight balance. That was it, as far as I knew. The color
rendition of these films was somewhat conservative, which I have
always thought of as a trait of professional emulsions in general.

The 160 speed professional film lasted for many years almost unchanged.
Its tungsten counterpart was replaced by VPL, which was tweaked for better
performance with very long exosures. VPL had color balance somewhat closer
to that of the amateur films, and more contrast, but not as much as
Vericolor Commercial film (VCS) which at some point was replaced by VHC,
a higher-contrast film with more saturated color meant for fashion work.
Also briefly available in 4x5 (as well as roll sizes) was the 400-speed
VPH, a faster daylight balanced film with color rendition more like that
of VPL. VPH was eventualy replaced by Pro 400MC which was initially only
available in roll sizes but was available in 4x5 and 8x10 for a few months
before it in turn was cancelled and replaced.

VPS and its 160-speed predecessors were always meant for portraiture and
other low-contrast work and were balanced primarily to offer pleasing
renditions of skin tones. As nobody in the world has green skin this
did indeed lead to unusual green reproduction when these films were
(inappropriately!) used for certain other types of photography under
uncontrolled lighting conditions. Pretty nifty results could be had in
nasty weather, though, with storm clouds and the like. Very ominous,
if also somewhat unreal.

The last set of adjustments to Kodak's product lines replaced all the
traditional daylight-balanced professional films with "Portra NC" and
"Portra VC" films. The "VC" films had considerably more contrast and color
saturation, but the 160-speed "NC" film remains markedly similar to the
old Vericolor III and VPS and the 400-speed "NC" film remains not too
different from VPH! Grain is better in all the new films and the color
rendition of the 160 speed NC with subjects that aren't white people is
a little less quirky. All these films are available in sheet sizes unless
Kodak has cancelled them in the last year or so; I tend to buy in bulk
and it lasts me a while.

I have not used large format in years, but thank you for your
discussion in detail. It agrees precisely with what I was originally
stating. You cite in detail the "portrait oriented color" that I
hated so much. And also the later "commercial" films that were better
in green rendition, but not as accurate for foliage as the
then-current 35mm films.

Doug McDonald
Old September 18th 10, 10:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
[email protected]

On 9/9/2010 11:23 AM, Doug McDonald wrote:

I have not used large format in years, but thank you for your
discussion in detail. It agrees precisely with what I was originally
stating.

Actually what you originally stated was:

There is an answer to that: becasue even to this day, 4x5 films
are simply inferior to 35mm ones (unless you like Velvia).

I suppose now you have forgotten the "Even to this day" statement that
is why we questioned your statement to start with. Obviously at some
point in the past you can find a time when your statement could apply
but clearly this blanket statement you made is false. I know I've never
experienced what you talked about in the last 20 years of shooting LF.
Their 100 speed color films have always worked fine for landscape work
and I guess I never even considered trying to use low contrast portrait
films for landscapes...

Stephe