Portable Storage Device Recommendations

Old June 28th 04, 01:41 PM
Andrew Morris

Default Portable Storage Device Recommendations

Hello,

I'm currently in the market for a Portable Storage Device, to be able to
copy photos from CF Flash to disk, whilst on holidays....

Currently looking at the Vosonic, like at
http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp2060.html....

has anyone first hand experience of such a device they wish to share, or
another brand to recommend?

Cheers,

Andrew

Old June 28th 04, 04:05 PM
Frank ess

Andrew Morris wrote:
Hello,

I'm currently in the market for a Portable Storage Device, to be able
to copy photos from CF Flash to disk, whilst on holidays....

Currently looking at the Vosonic, like at
http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp2060.html....

has anyone first hand experience of such a device they wish to share,
or another brand to recommend?

Cheers,

Andrew

These write to CD, read DVD, battery or ac convertor operated:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/RDS/RDS.HTM

Review of the same item with a different name:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...onics_mfr.html

I've had one for a few weeks. It works. My only wishes a it should be
a little smaller and lighter; should fit in the very nice bag (supplied)
without removing the external battery. Barring that, no complaints. I
got mine from Addonics, two days turnaround from online order to front
doorstep. Right at $300 with an extra battery.

Old June 28th 04, 06:51 PM
;o\)-max-

"Andrew Morris"
Hello,

I'm currently in the market for a Portable Storage Device, to be able to
copy photos from CF Flash to disk, whilst on holidays....

Currently looking at the Vosonic, like at
http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp2060.html....

has anyone first hand experience of such a device they wish to share, or
another brand to recommend?

Cheers,

Andrew

I love mine, I think it is one of the cheapest out there
and it does the job - don't waste money on fancy no
use extra features.. When a battery driven portable
storage device with dvd burner comes out, I will
probably get that, I've tried the CD version it works,
but they don't hold enough images if you are shooting
RAW, you'll be logging too many CD's on a trip. ;o)-max-

Old June 28th 04, 06:53 PM
Robertwgross

Andrew wrote:
I'm currently in the market for a Portable Storage Device, to be able to
copy photos from CF Flash to disk, whilst on holidays....
Currently looking at the Vosonic, like at
http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp2060.html....
has anyone first hand experience of such a device they wish to share, or
another brand to recommend?

Vosonics had their original product, the VP2030, and then they shifted to a
later product, the VP2060. They dumped the VP2030 units without any hard disk
drive inside, so the empty VP2030 was being sold cheaply. I bought an empty one
and a laptop-style hard disk drive for a total of $140, and it works good.
Vosonics products seem to show up with different brand labels on them.

---Bob Gross---
Old June 28th 04, 07:02 PM
;o\)-max-

"Robertwgross" skrev i en meddelelse
Andrew wrote:
I'm currently in the market for a Portable Storage Device, to be able to
copy photos from CF Flash to disk, whilst on holidays....
Currently looking at the Vosonic, like at
http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp2060.html....
has anyone first hand experience of such a device they wish to share, or
another brand to recommend?

Vosonics had their original product, the VP2030, and then they shifted to a
later product, the VP2060. They dumped the VP2030 units without any hard disk
drive inside, so the empty VP2030 was being sold cheaply. I bought an empty one
and a laptop-style hard disk drive for a total of $140, and it works good.
Vosonics products seem to show up with different brand labels on them.

---Bob Gross---

The VP2030 is with USB 1,1 - transferring files can be very slow,
I would spend a few $ more for the 2060, they sell without harddisc
too, if you prefer that.. ;o)-max-

Old June 28th 04, 07:42 PM
bagal

I posted this to another thread earlier today x 2

I hope it helps

snipped

hmmm here am I sat at the computer thngy tuned into r.p.d and my newest
digital photo mag is coincidently open at "DynaMO 640 Photo"

Does it fit the bill? What is the bill?

OK - try www.fel.fujitsu.com 640 MB disks - it looks battery operated

will it work? I dunno?

Does all of this make sense?

das B

u...

Old June 28th 04, 10:29 PM
Tom Scales

Andrew wrote:
[...]

Except the VP2060 is NOT USB2. It is USB2-compatible. I was SHOCKED when
mine performed barely better than USB1.1 speeds and they finally admitted it
wasn't HISPEED USB2.

Tom

Old June 29th 04, 01:24 AM
Michael Meissner

"Andrew Morris" writes:

Hello,

I'm currently in the market for a Portable Storage Device, to be able to
copy photos from CF Flash to disk, whilst on holidays....

Currently looking at the Vosonic, like at
http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp2060.html....

has anyone first hand experience of such a device they wish to share, or
another brand to recommend?

I have the 2060 (aka x-drive II), and unfortunately it copies from the media
card to the disk at about 1/2 the speed of other units, including the Image
Bank I had before. Also, the battery isn't the longest lasting.

--
Michael Meissner
email: