Has your HP printer rejected its 3rd party ink lately?

Old September 20th 16, 05:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Default Has your HP printer rejected its 3rd party ink lately?

Bill W wrote:
On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 16:22:27 -0400, Mort wrote:

Savageduck wrote:

If one uses 6 carts and the other only 4, how can they be of the "same
type"?

Hi Duck,

No, no, no. The used printer that I bought is "the same type" and uses
6 inks. The new models use only 4 inks. Also, the new models use
different cartridges,and I would have to throw out several hundred
dollars worth of old-type cartridges if I bought a new printer.

Thanks for your comment.

I hope that the new fire is quickly extinguished.

Mort Linder

Try this link:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-...2977995/page/3

There are instructions for a reset, and for a semi-full reset around
the 2d or 3d pages. That seems to have worked for some people.

Hi. Thanks a lot for this info. I will get my problem printer out of the
storage facility, and try to fix it using your reference.

Mort Linder
Old September 20th 16, 05:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

nospam wrote:
why would a used printer cost more than a new one, if they're the same
type?

This model, Photosmart 8250, is out of production. I needed it to go
with my large store of ink cartridges for this model. It is supply and
demand.

Mort Linder
Old September 20th 16, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 2016-09-19 19:03:01 +0000, Mort said:

RichA wrote:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37408173

Hi,

What happened to me is worse. I bought a brand new but
discontinued H-P printer for photos. It is supposed to come with
special "starter" ink cartridges,allegedly to to get the machine
ready for use. However, mine came with standard original new H-P
cartridges. I got an error message that the printer will not work
with the genuine H-P cartridges, but must first be started with
H-P starter cartrides. I then contacted H-P, who said that they do
not stock these starters, and do not make them any more.

I thus have a brand new printer that does not work, I am out time
and money,and H-P obviously does not care at all about my plight. I
finally had to buy a used printer of the same type, at a high
price, because I had a stock of many expensive new ink cartridges
already. In addition, this old printer uses 6 inks, while their
newer models use only 4, with inferior color rendition.

If one uses 6 carts and the other only 4, how can they be of the
"same type"?

I am disgusted with H-P again.(A few years ago, they switched from
excellent Swiss photo paper to terrible German paper, with the same
part #s.)

Mort Linder

After my experience with Canon photo printers I have moved into the
Epson camp and I have been quite happy with the performance of the
two I use.

I don't print any photos, my printers are for general use and mostly
used by my wife. My wife rarely needs color prints so I have her
using a Brother laser printer. She tends to print a lot and a laser
is more cost-effective. I use an Epson all-in-one. I've been using
Epson printers for many, many years and the primary reason is the
availability of inexpensive 3rd party inks.

My high quality photo prints on high quality papers (these days I have
settled on Red River Papers), up to 13"x19" I do at home on my Epson
R2880, which is fine for my needs. When I need a larger print, or
special mount, I farm the task out to either MPix, or BayPhoto.

For my general printing and occasional quick photo print I also use an
Epson "All-in-one" (XP-610). I don't use 3rd party inks and it has
proven to be economical and trouble free. If I had to buy a new
general purpose printer today it would be one of the new Epson
"EcoTank" printers.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Landing/ecotank-super-tank-printers.do?

If I have a need to replace my Epson WorkForce, I would buy an Ecotank
model. The cost for the printer is "real cost" because Epson is not
making money on a customer buying the consumables (ink). The cost to
refill the tanks is very inexpensive.

Old September 20th 16, 07:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PH[_2_]

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 14:02:58 -0400, PAS wrote:

For my general printing and occasional quick photo print I also use an
Epson "All-in-one" (XP-610). I don't use 3rd party inks and it has
proven to be economical and trouble free. If I had to buy a new
general purpose printer today it would be one of the new Epson
"EcoTank" printers.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Landing/ecotank-super-tank-printers.do?

If I have a need to replace my Epson WorkForce, I would buy an Ecotank
model. The cost for the printer is "real cost" because Epson is not
making money on a customer buying the consumables (ink). The cost to
refill the tanks is very inexpensive.

I use a continuous ink system from City Ink Express with my Epson
XP-760;

http://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/

--
Faster, cheaper, quieter than HS2
and built in 5 years;

Old September 21st 16, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

On 9/20/2016 1:33 PM, PH wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 14:02:58 -0400, PAS wrote:

For my general printing and occasional quick photo print I also use an
Epson "All-in-one" (XP-610). I don't use 3rd party inks and it has
proven to be economical and trouble free. If I had to buy a new
general purpose printer today it would be one of the new Epson
"EcoTank" printers.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Landing/ecotank-super-tank-printers.do?

If I have a need to replace my Epson WorkForce, I would buy an Ecotank
model. The cost for the printer is "real cost" because Epson is not
making money on a customer buying the consumables (ink). The cost to
refill the tanks is very inexpensive.

I use a continuous ink system from City Ink Express with my Epson
XP-760;

http://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/

My Hewlett-Packard "Photosmart D7100" printer died on me (after nearly
nine years of use), last January (2016). Hence, I replaced it with a
Brother "MFC-J5720DW" all-in-one model, later in the month.

John

Old September 22nd 16, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Bill W wrote:
I was curious too, so I Googled it. They are actually "setup"
cartridges, not starter. They come only with new printers, or with
replacement printheads, and they must be used the first time, and
cannot be used after the first time. I wonder if Mort's printer came
with both, and he overlooked the difference, or if he installed setup
cartridges after they had already been used.

The allegedly new printer came with a set of ink cartridges that
provoked an on-screen message that they are NOT starter cartridges,and
that the printer will not function with those inserted cartridges.

There apparently is a hidden menu in that model printer, which can be
used to overcome this problem. I cannot find that hidden menu. It is
frustrating.

Mort Linder
Old September 22nd 16, 11:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mort wrote:

I was curious too, so I Googled it. They are actually "setup"
cartridges, not starter. They come only with new printers, or with
replacement printheads, and they must be used the first time, and
cannot be used after the first time. I wonder if Mort's printer came
with both, and he overlooked the difference, or if he installed setup
cartridges after they had already been used.

The allegedly new printer came with a set of ink cartridges that
provoked an on-screen message that they are NOT starter cartridges,and
that the printer will not function with those inserted cartridges.

return it as defective.

There apparently is a hidden menu in that model printer, which can be
used to overcome this problem. I cannot find that hidden menu. It is
frustrating.

a web search should find out how to access the secret menus.

although it's much easier to return it.
Old September 23rd 16, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 18:47:52 -0400, Mort wrote:

Bill W wrote:
I was curious too, so I Googled it. They are actually "setup"
cartridges, not starter. They come only with new printers, or with
replacement printheads, and they must be used the first time, and
cannot be used after the first time. I wonder if Mort's printer came
with both, and he overlooked the difference, or if he installed setup
cartridges after they had already been used.

The allegedly new printer came with a set of ink cartridges that
provoked an on-screen message that they are NOT starter cartridges,and
that the printer will not function with those inserted cartridges.

There apparently is a hidden menu in that model printer, which can be
used to overcome this problem. I cannot find that hidden menu. It is
frustrating.

Mort Linder

There's instructions to get there in that link I gave you. It's
somewhere within the first few pages.

Chinks, it poured, you rejected, yet Wally never finitely dined in front of the rain, Refined Pothead. Annika1980 Digital Photography 0 May 5th 06 05:52 AM
Chinks, it poured, you rejected, yet Wally never finitely dined in front of the rain, Refined Pothead. Annika1980 35mm Photo Equipment 0 May 5th 06 05:52 AM
party barry Digital ZLR Cameras 2 June 27th 05 08:27 PM
[SI] My rejected mandates TAFKAB 35mm Photo Equipment 13 February 17th 05 12:56 PM
[SI] Rejected Erotica Shot Anders Svensson 35mm Photo Equipment 169 November 18th 04 01:15 AM