Photo's Of Lightning

Old July 21st 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature
Norm

Default Photo's Of Lightning

Greg,

In Tucson we have frequent thunderstorms and we are frequently reminded that
if you can hear thunder there is a chance of lightning striking near you.
Most people don't pay much attention to that warning but you're
right--lightning can strike from a blue sky. I suppose that is the source of
the saying, "from out of the blue" or "a bolt from the blue"

A professor of Atmospheric Science from the U. of Arizona said a good rule
of thumb is that if the front of the storm is more than 45 degrees above the
horizon it is wise to seek shelter.

Back to the original request for how-to information---it's a good idea to
have extra batteries for your camera if it has an electronic shutter. The
long exposures eat up batteries pretty fast.

Norm
Old July 21st 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature
Greg Campbell

Norm wrote:

Greg,

In Tucson we have frequent thunderstorms and we are frequently reminded that
if you can hear thunder there is a chance of lightning striking near you.
Most people don't pay much attention to that warning but you're
right--lightning can strike from a blue sky. I suppose that is the source of
the saying, "from out of the blue" or "a bolt from the blue"

A professor of Atmospheric Science from the U. of Arizona said a good rule
of thumb is that if the front of the storm is more than 45 degrees above the
horizon it is wise to seek shelter.

Back to the original request for how-to information---it's a good idea to
have extra batteries for your camera if it has an electronic shutter. The
long exposures eat up batteries pretty fast.

Norm

You're in Tucson too? Cool! I've been chasing along Hwy 83 for the
last few weeks. One of this year's goals is (twilight) lighting over
the Mustang range, east of Sonoita. There are several excellent vantage
points in the La Cienegas reserve. Even if the lightning is a bust, the
stormcloud sunsets are well worth the 30 minute drive. Gorgeous
scenery. Damn, I love the 'monsoon' season!

I've had one too-close call. While standing outside my house watching a
moderately distant storm, I turned to speak to the neighbor...
FLASHBOOM!!! When there is NO delay between the light and sound (close
lightning sometimes has a curious 'pop' component), you know you're
doing something dumb... I never determined where that bolt hit; I think
it plowed into an open area a few hundred yards away.

If you can hear the 'crack' of the lightning, just be thankful you are
still standing!
http://wx5tvs.com/chasephotos/2005/2...uleshoe.tx.wmv

Which UA professor? Does he have an on-line site?

FWIW, I'm still shooting that ancient 'film' stuff, using manual focus
cameras to boot. My A1 eats batteries quite quickly, but my T-90 (like
many newer cameras) uses a permanent magnet to hold the shutter open,
cutting long exposure power draw significantly. If shopping for a
lightning/night time camera, it's a worthy feature to seek.

-Greg
Old July 21st 06, 08:41 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature
Al Denelsbeck

"Sioux" wrote in news:1153207725.803629.29400@
75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I am a fairly decent photographer and just do it for a hobby, but one
thing I have not figured out is capturing lightning. I have a Kodak
EasyShare Z730 if that will help.

Plenty of good advice from the others, so I'll throw in my 2
pfennigs...

With your Kodak, you're a little limited in your options - you
can't simply lock the shutter open and wait, and you can't use the
electronic release options like lightning detectors. So that means
increasing your odds.

You'll pretty much want to shoot at night, or at least late dusk,
so you can leave the shutter open as long as possible and not blow the
image out pure white. Set the ISO as low as it goes, which will allow for
longer shutter times and finer detail, less chance of the dark areas
going completely grainy/noisy.

Aperture doesn't matter too much for lightning, as long as you're
focused at infinity, but if there's still light in the sky using a
smaller aperture will give you better options.

Someting I've found over the years, is that lightning actually
follows a loose pattern of timing. Count off between good strokes, figure
the timing, and open your shutter about five seconds before the next one
is "due". Not completely accurate, but it will increase your chances of
getting a decent strike. My experience has been that bright strokes and
small or inter-cloud ones have a faint tendency to alternate.

Vantage point in key. Flat areas work best, since you can see the
storm advancing a long ways off, but shooting from a hill or at the head
of a valley can help. Bear in mind the decrease in safety that altitude
brings, and that strokes can occur well in advance of the apparent front.
Also be aware that a significant warning sign is feeling the hairs on
your neck stand up. If that occurs, you are in immediate and serious
danger, and throw yourself to the ground, in a ditch, down the hill,
whatever, as fast as you can.

Once the rain starts, your chances of getting anything just about
vanish - the haze that surrounds you will obscure the lightning. In some
conditions, you can shoot the receding storm as well, which is a lot
safer.

Wider angles (shorter focal lengths) increase the chances of
catching nice strokes, but also minimize them in the frame - it's a
tricky balance point. I have found that 35mm focal length (equivalent)
seems to work best, but have successfully shot receding storms with a
105mm.

Shooting from the window of a high rise also works, and gives you
altitude, safety, and often a great vantage point. Again, once the rain
starts you're probably out of luck, since the water running down the
glass will also obscure your shots.

Really want good shots? Go to Florida. In summer, there's
practically a storm every afternoon or evening, and it's flat enough to
see them advancing. The coasts allow you to shoot a long ways off. Just
be aware that storms move fast in Florida, and be prepared to get soaked.

Good luck!

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old July 21st 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature
J. Clarke

Greg Campbell wrote:

Norm wrote:

[...]

FWIW, when I was in college my advisor told me about his weekend golf
outing--he and another professor, a retired Marine general, were out
playing golf when it started to rain. The decided that by the time the got
off the course they'd be soaked anyway so they may as well finish the game.
About that time lightning blew a big tree down the course a bit to flinders
and they decided that maybe standing around out in the open swinging
lightning rods around was not an optimal survival strategy.

http://wx5tvs.com/chasephotos/2005/2...uleshoe.tx.wmv

Which UA professor? Does he have an on-line site?

FWIW, I'm still shooting that ancient 'film' stuff, using manual focus
cameras to boot. My A1 eats batteries quite quickly, but my T-90 (like
many newer cameras) uses a permanent magnet to hold the shutter open,
cutting long exposure power draw significantly. If shopping for a
lightning/night time camera, it's a worthy feature to seek.

-Greg

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old July 21st 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature
Norm

Al,

Lots of good advice. But, I'd like to amplify on the bit about if you feel
the hair stand up on the back of your neck. This is caused by the positive
ions flowing up and possibly creating a connection with the negative ions
searching downward from the clouds. So, yes, you indeed, are in danger but
the best course of action is to immediately squat with your feet close
together. You want to have as little contact with the ground as possible.
Put your hands over your ears and close your eyes. If you are prone on the
ground you present a larger area for the positive ions to possibly connect
with the downward searching negative ions.

It is also a good idea to make sure anyone accompanying you is aware of the
safety precautions and that all present should know CPR. There won't be much
time to discuss options if some one gets hit.

Norm
Old July 22nd 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

Norm wrote:
Yes, cars are safer but it is not because of rubber tires as you seemed to
imply when you said something about cars with their rubber tires. Sorry if I
misunderstood your message.

The technical explanation is the car acts like a Faraday cage.
If the car is a conductor, the electricity flows around the metal
exterior of the car, helping to keep you safe. Key is to
not be touching the outside, and bigger key: metal exterior.
Those plastic body cars do not qualify as a Faraday cage,
but maybe might provide some protection.

Roger
Old July 22nd 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature
Norm

Good point Roger
Old July 23rd 06, 08:56 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature
Petri Lopia

On 2006-07-18, Sioux wrote:
I am a fairly decent photographer and just do it for a hobby, but one
thing I have not figured out is capturing lightning. I have a Kodak
EasyShare Z730 if that will help.

Get steady tripod and and learn how to use your cameras manual settings
and use long exposure time. If sky is too bright you can use ND filters.

Here is some of my lightning photos:
http://www.petrilopia.net/
and
http://www.pbase.com/whig/lightnings

Hopefully somebody will wrote some feedback/comment about
those photos too =)

--
Petri Lopia :: lid
StormChasing/Myrskynbongaus etc. Lightnings/Salamoita yms.
Old August 11th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature
Bandicoot

"Norm" wrote in message
Since this topic is one of potentially life-threatening consequences, I'd
like to correct a popular misconception. The protection afforded by being
in a car has little or nothing to do with rubber tires. The mass of the

metal
frame of the auto conducts the electrical charge to and from ground,
by-passing the occupant. This often (maybe always?) blows the rubber
tires.

The car acts as a Faraday cage. I've been in a car struck by lightning and
the tires were fine (as were my dad and me). The radio never worked again
though.

Peter