ON THE GRIDIRON WITH THE 20D !!!

Old October 2nd 04, 04:45 AM
Annika1980

Default ON THE GRIDIRON WITH THE 20D !!!

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/34504445

Old October 2nd 04, 02:30 PM
Alan Browne

Annika1980 wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/34504445

Good potential there with the stadium lights providing light... did
you consider shooting that slower (same ISO, smaller aperture) with rear-curtain
sync?

Could be cool ...more blur fill, frozen ball carrier.

I like the ball carriers pose here...

Cheers,
Alan

Old October 2nd 04, 03:23 PM
Annika1980

From: Alan Browne

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/34504445

Good potential there with the stadium lights providing light... did
you consider shooting that slower (same ISO, smaller aperture) with
rear-curtain
sync?

No, I confess that after the ball was snapped I didn't really have a lot of
time to think about it.

I've tried shooting using the flash as the primary light, but the results are
much less pleasing without some ambient light. You end up with the foreground
players nicely exposed amongst a sea of black. Of course, if I did this I'd use
much lower ISOs.

Old October 2nd 04, 03:38 PM
Alan Browne

From: Alan Browne

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/34504445

Good potential there with the stadium lights providing light... did
you consider shooting that slower (same ISO, smaller aperture) with
rear-curtain
sync?

No, I confess that after the ball was snapped I didn't really have a lot of
time to think about it.

I've tried shooting using the flash as the primary light, but the results are
much less pleasing without some ambient light. You end up with the foreground
players nicely exposed amongst a sea of black. Of course, if I did this I'd use
much lower ISOs.

But that's the point ... with the high ISO's and a long shutter you can fill in
the BG while using the flash to freeze the action ... + motion blur. I think
it's cool ... get tired of frozen players. Think about it before the play, of
course...

--
"There is no such thing as inaccuracy in a photograph.
All photographs are accurate. None of them is the truth."
Old October 2nd 04, 06:37 PM
Dallas

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:23:08 +0000, Annika1980 had this to say:

From: Alan Browne

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/34504445

Good potential there with the stadium lights providing light... did you
consider shooting that slower (same ISO, smaller aperture) with
rear-curtain
sync?

No, I confess that after the ball was snapped I didn't really have a lot
of time to think about it.

I've tried shooting using the flash as the primary light, but the results
are much less pleasing without some ambient light. You end up with the
foreground players nicely exposed amongst a sea of black. Of course, if I
did this I'd use much lower ISOs.

You're lucky that player didn't come over and smack you upside the head
for using flash at a sporting event. What happened to the noiseless
1600ISO? Why flash?

--
DD™
"And that's all I got to say about that" ~ FG

Old October 2nd 04, 09:04 PM
Mark M

From: Dallas

You're lucky that player didn't come over and smack you upside the head
for using flash at a sporting event. What happened to the noiseless
1600ISO? Why flash?

You really don't understand a lot about this stuff, do ya?

Maybe this little tutorial will help splain it to you. Here are two

consecutive
frames, one with flash, and one without.

http://members.aol.com/annika1980/dumbdallas.jpg

Ya...He gets confused easily.

But... Dallas is right about blasting a flash in their face during a play.
This is not the best idea because it REALLY nails the eyes of those trying
to concentrate on the ball, or even those pursuing the runner.

This is why you don't see flashes blasting away on the sidelines of NFL
games...
I would wager they are forbidden.

Old October 2nd 04, 09:58 PM
Alan Browne

From: Dallas

You're lucky that player didn't come over and smack you upside the head
for using flash at a sporting event. What happened to the noiseless
1600ISO? Why flash?

You really don't understand a lot about this stuff, do ya?

Maybe this little tutorial will help splain it to you. Here are two

consecutive

frames, one with flash, and one without.

http://members.aol.com/annika1980/dumbdallas.jpg

Ya...He gets confused easily.

But... Dallas is right about blasting a flash in their face during a play.
This is not the best idea because it REALLY nails the eyes of those trying
to concentrate on the ball, or even those pursuing the runner.

This is why you don't see flashes blasting away on the sidelines of NFL
games...
I would wager they are forbidden.

In most sports it hardly makes a differenence unless the player is looking at
the flash when it fires... sideline flash shots won't bother anyone. Sports
like basketball and hockey have pretty big flashes installed (albeit above
looking down).

I would wager that the game lighting level is so good (television cameras want
high contrast too) that they are not needed and are useless for most intents
when the play is 25, 50 yards or more away... esp. with digital cameras
rendering magazine quality images at ISO 800.

I photographed volleyball last year with two studio flashes helping out, both at
play level ... no problems, no complaints.

Cheers,
Alan