Camera Shake

Old September 28th 04, 04:12 PM
rda

Default Camera Shake

Hi guys, I am currently having a huge problem with camera shake.
I am using a canon 300D/DRebel with Kenko 300 pro 3x teleconverter on a
75-300mm lens.
I am trying to capture some lunar photos with more detail then the 75-300
was able to give me on its own (although I did get some good shots).
The image looks nice and sharp in the viewfinder (suggesting that the
problem is not with the 3x converter), but the final photos are always a
little blurry even when using high ISO settings and relatively short shutter
times.
The camera is mounted on a manfrotto tripod & I am using mirror lock up
(hacked firmware on the camera allows this).
Is 900mm just to long to expect sharp photos or is there anything else I
could try?

Thanks

--
RDA
300D

Old September 28th 04, 04:18 PM
Phil Wheeler

The 75-300 is reported to be soft on the long end; many XX-300 lenses
are that way (I have two that are, one that is not). The Kenko may add
more softness.

On a tripod, what "shake" can happen, unless you are next to RR tracks?

You may also have some focus errors -- not trivial to focus accurately
on the Moon.

First thing I would do is back off to 200 or 250 mm on the zoom and see
if photos get sharper. If so, I would say it is the lens. If not, I
would consider trying a bracket of (manual) focus.

Phil

Old September 28th 04, 04:48 PM
Juergen Nickelsen

"rda" writes:

[...] the final photos are always a little blurry even when using
high ISO settings and relatively short shutter times. The camera
is mounted on a manfrotto tripod & I am using mirror lock up
(hacked firmware on the camera allows this).

The "speed" of the moon (or the stars) due to the earth rotation is
easily underestimated -- the relative motion of the moon is about
half its diameter in a minute[1], so even 10 s exposure time will
introduce noticable blur with a 900mm lens.

[1] I just did a rough calculation by myself, please correct me if
it is wrong:

--
Any time things appear to be going better, you have overlooked
something.
Old September 28th 04, 04:51 PM
Ian Stirling

rda wrote:
Hi guys, I am currently having a huge problem with camera shake.
I am using a canon 300D/DRebel with Kenko 300 pro 3x teleconverter on a
75-300mm lens.
I am trying to capture some lunar photos with more detail then the 75-300
was able to give me on its own (although I did get some good shots).

Point it at something smaller.
Venus or Sirius.
This will give you a better idea if it might be shake (which I doubt).
As they are more likely to show shapes other than a round dot if it
does shake a bit.

Old September 28th 04, 05:20 PM
Phil Wheeler

Juergen Nickelsen wrote:
"rda" writes:

[...] the final photos are always a little blurry even when using
high ISO settings and relatively short shutter times. The camera
is mounted on a manfrotto tripod & I am using mirror lock up
(hacked firmware on the camera allows this).

The "speed" of the moon (or the stars) due to the earth rotation is
easily underestimated -- the relative motion of the moon is about
half its diameter in a minute[1], so even 10 s exposure time

Moon is far too bright for 10 sec exposure.

Old September 28th 04, 07:41 PM
Joseph Meehan

rda wrote:
Hi guys, I am currently having a huge problem with camera shake.
I am using a canon 300D/DRebel with Kenko 300 pro 3x teleconverter on a
75-300mm lens.
I am trying to capture some lunar photos with more detail then the 75-300
was able to give me on its own (although I did get some good shots).
The image looks nice and sharp in the viewfinder (suggesting that the
problem is not with the 3x converter),

It may suggest that, but it is far from serious evidence.

Try taking some daytime images with your setup and see what you get.

Most of my ideas other than the lens issue have been addressed by other
writers.

but the final photos are always a
little blurry even when using high ISO settings and relatively short
shutter
times.
The camera is mounted on a manfrotto tripod & I am using mirror lock up
(hacked firmware on the camera allows this).
Is 900mm just to long to expect sharp photos or is there anything else I
could try?

Thanks

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old September 28th 04, 08:00 PM
rda

Thanksfor all your comments, I will try some focus bracketing as well as
some daylight shots with the 300 + 3x converter setup.
I will let you know if anything improves.

Thanks

--
RDA
http://www.photosnapper.com/modules/...500&ppuser=343

Old September 28th 04, 11:49 PM
Ken Oaf

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:12:32 GMT, "rda" wrote:

Hi guys, I am currently having a huge problem with camera shake.
I am using a canon 300D/DRebel with Kenko 300 pro 3x teleconverter on a
75-300mm lens.
I am trying to capture some lunar photos with more detail then the 75-300
was able to give me on its own (although I did get some good shots).
The image looks nice and sharp in the viewfinder (suggesting that the
problem is not with the 3x converter), but the final photos are always a
little blurry even when using high ISO settings and relatively short shutter
times.
The camera is mounted on a manfrotto tripod & I am using mirror lock up
(hacked firmware on the camera allows this).
Is 900mm just to long to expect sharp photos or is there anything else I
could try?

Use the self timer to activate the shutter.