Circular Polarizer and lens flare

Old October 3rd 04, 06:15 AM
Quest0029

Default Circular Polarizer and lens flare

Would a circular polarizer be useful in
reducing lens flare problems with older
uncoated lenses?
Thanks
Old October 3rd 04, 07:01 AM
Jeremy

"Quest0029" wrote in message

Would a circular polarizer be useful in
reducing lens flare problems with older
uncoated lenses?

No. It might actually contribute to lens flare, because it adds yet another
air-to-glass surface.

Uncoated (I should say "Non-Multi-Coated" Lenses, because virtually all
lenses are at least single-coated) lenses can give maximum performance when
fitted with an appropriate lens hood, to block off-axis light. You should
also avoid shooting directly into bright light whenever possible.

Flare tends to be a problem on lenses with many elements, due to the light
bouncing off more air-to-glass surfaces. You did not say what kind of lens
you were using. Even with a lens hood, you are going to see less contrasty
images on zoom lenses, which typically have many more elements than normal
or prime lenses.

Old October 3rd 04, 12:19 PM
Joseph Meehan

Quest0029 wrote:
Would a circular polarizer be useful in
reducing lens flare problems with older
uncoated lenses?
Thanks

No. A non-circular might, although I would not count on it.

Remember that a circular polarizer re-scrambles the light so the light
that passes through it is no longer polarized.

Also note that the filter will add an additional piece of glass and that
means more chance for flare and it adds that glass further out in a spot
more likely not to be shaded by the lens construction.

Of course there is also the slight shading done by the filter ring that
could shade part of the original lens.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old October 3rd 04, 04:53 PM
Alan Browne

Quest0029 wrote:

Would a circular polarizer be useful in
reducing lens flare problems with older
uncoated lenses?

Most flare comes from direct light sources, whereas a polarizer is effective
with reflected light (from surfaces or particles in the atmosphere) with the
lens axis at 90 deg to the light rays, so the reduction of flare would be
minimal...

possibly it might make more flare artificats too when in direct light, as you're
adding more glass surfaces... and in my case at least, my polarizer can't be
used with a lens hood, so really not a good idea to let direct light get at the
polarizer ... (but, I have to add that, esp. wide angle, I sometimes include
direct light (sun) in the scene and make the flare part of the composition)

Cheers,
Alan

--
"There is no such thing as inaccuracy in a photograph.
All photographs are accurate. None of them is the truth."
Old October 5th 04, 03:26 PM
BandHPhoto

lens flare problems

A lens hood (shade) is THE BEST solution for flare.
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Old October 5th 04, 04:10 PM
Jeremy

"BandHPhoto" wrote in message
lens flare problems

A lens hood (shade) is THE BEST solution for flare.
- --

A hood certainly is the best solution for blocking the effects of off-axis
light, because it keeps those rays from ever entering the lens at all. But
what about shooting situations where the lens is pointed directly at a
bright light source? A typical example would be one where there is a great
deal of backlighting. A hood can't block light coming in from straight
ahead.

Multicoating has the potential to make a real difference in such situations.
Especially when lenses are being used that have many elements, such as wide
angles or zoom lenses, multicoating can reduce the effects of glare
considerably.

Even with multicoating, the image is not always immune from effects of
bright light. My SMC Takumar 24mm f/3.5 has always exhibited unacceptable
results when pointed toward bright light sources. And, with a wide angle of
view, it is difficult to point the lens away from bright lights all the
time. I wonder how bad the problem would be if that lens had no
multicoating?

I think that a 4-pronged approach will give best results:

1: Use a lens hood at all times. It can never hurt.

2: Use a multi-coated lens if possible.

3: Try to avoid backlighting situations if possible.

4: Keep lens surfaces clean of grease or fingerprints.

Old October 5th 04, 06:21 PM
Alan Browne

BandHPhoto wrote:

lens flare problems

A lens hood (shade) is THE BEST solution for flare.

Except the perfect shade does not exist. Always carry a blocker ( a grey card
come in handy as does a small umbrella ).

Cheers,
Alan