XTi or D30?

Old March 21st 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Summer Wind[_2_]

Default XTi or D30?

"Kinon O'Cann" wrote in message

"Summer Wind" wrote in message
. ..
"Dave S" wrote in message
I think I'm ready to try a DSLR.

Hold out until 2008, which will be the year of the inexpensive,
full-frame, 12+MP DSLR.

Hold out? For what? Bad idea. If you want to shoot pix, just get anything
and start NOW.

NOW is the worst time to buy a DSLR in terms of bang for the buck. Next
year, 5D class cameras will be selling for nearly the same price as today's
30D. If I absolutely had to buy now, I'd get a used 5D for a few hundred
more than the price of a new 30D.

SW

Old March 21st 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ink

"Dave S" wrote in message
I think I'm ready to try a DSLR.

Hold out until 2008, which will be the year of the inexpensive,
full-frame, 12+MP DSLR.

Hold out? For what? Bad idea. If you want to shoot pix, just get anything
and start NOW.

NOW is the worst time to buy a DSLR in terms of bang for the buck. Next
year, 5D class cameras will be selling for nearly the same price as
today's 30D. If I absolutely had to buy now, I'd get a used 5D for a few
hundred more than the price of a new 30D.

I tend to agree with Kinon - if you want to hold out, it's just like with
computers - yeah, you can get a model twice as capable for half the price,
probably, next year, but then you'll be waiting forever.

Get a good one you can afford and that fits in your hand, some nice glass
and then - have fun!

Cheers,
ink

Old March 21st 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Gilbert

Summer Wind wrote

If I absolutely had to buy now, I'd get a used 5D for a few hundred more
than the price of a new 30D.

Or even a recon 5D.

Chris

Old March 21st 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Summer Wind[_2_]

"ink" wrote in message

I tend to agree with Kinon - if you want to hold out, it's just like with
computers - yeah, you can get a model twice as capable for half the price,
probably, next year, but then you'll be waiting forever.

Get a good one you can afford and that fits in your hand, some nice glass
and then - have fun!

That philosophy makes sense unless a major price/performance milestone is
just months away, and it is in the DSLR world. Why buy a 30D now when a
full-frame 12+MP version will be released in 2008? The 5D sensor will soon
become the standard in all of Canon's DSLRs with the exception of the EOS 1D
class. You have to buy whatever is available at the moment if you have an
urgent need, but if I were buying a hobby DSLR, I'd wait until next year.

SW

Old March 21st 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug McDonald

J. Clarke wrote:

Also, the 30D has a shutter rated for 100000 actuations, I think the
XTi is the same as the 350D at 50000 actuations. So the 30D price
needs to be halved in any comparison you are doing.

I have the 350D and the 30D. The only advantage of the 350D is its
small size. I have hardly used the 350D since buying the 30D.

At this point in time, I suspect that the other advantage of the XTi
is the money in the wallet that can go, next year or two, to
the ALMOST affordable, far-sub-$7000 full frame Canon DSLR that
the OP really wants/needs for sports.

A spot meter is unnecessary for indoor sports shots, in fact,
a meter is unnecessary if the camera has a histogram: set and forget
the exposure. Spend the money on a lens that will do the job on the
full frame camera ... it will be 1.6 times more tele on the Xti if
you use all the pixels on the 1DMkIV or 5DMkIII or 50DMkII full frame
body two years from now.

Doug McDonald

Old March 21st 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ink

"Summer Wind" wrote...

"ink" wrote in message

I tend to agree with Kinon - if you want to hold out, it's just like with
computers - yeah, you can get a model twice as capable for half the
price, probably, next year, but then you'll be waiting forever.

Get a good one you can afford and that fits in your hand, some nice glass
and then - have fun!

That philosophy makes sense unless a major price/performance milestone is
just months away, and it is in the DSLR world. Why buy a 30D now when a
full-frame 12+MP version will be released in 2008? The 5D sensor will
soon become the standard in all of Canon's DSLRs with the exception of the
EOS 1D class. You have to buy whatever is available at the moment if you
have an urgent need, but if I were buying a hobby DSLR, I'd wait until
next year.

My point is - will that hypothetical camera allow the OP to take better
pictures? I doubt it. We should concentrate less on the technical specs of a
camera (though I admit, they're important) and more on whether we take good
pictures with our equipment.

Cheers,
ink

Old March 21st 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Summer Wind wrote:
"Dave S" wrote in message
I think I'm ready to try a DSLR.

Hold out until 2008, which will be the year of the inexpensive, full-frame,
12+MP DSLR.

Cough cough ... bull**** ;-)

Really, with advice like that, nobody would ever buy a digital camera as there
would always be something "better" on the horizon.

I have finally embraced the fact that APS-C is where I will likely be spending
my time for the next several years.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old March 21st 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Summer Wind wrote:

That philosophy makes sense unless a major price/performance milestone is
just months away, and it is in the DSLR world. Why buy a 30D now when a
full-frame 12+MP version will be released in 2008? The 5D sensor will soon
become the standard in all of Canon's DSLRs with the exception of the EOS 1D
class. You have to buy whatever is available at the moment if you have an
urgent need, but if I were buying a hobby DSLR, I'd wait until next year.

I beg to differ. There is a huge market for small profile DSLR, and
currently, the Nikon D40 is filling the niche wonderfully! I think the rebel
line will continue to be APS-C for the forseeable future, and I suspect the
x0D line will as well. Mass market is where the money is, and the mass market
isn't looking for full-frame 35mm sensors.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old March 21st 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Summer Wind[_2_]

"ink" wrote in message

My point is - will that hypothetical camera allow the OP to take better
pictures? I doubt it. We should concentrate less on the technical specs of
a camera (though I admit, they're important) and more on whether we take
good pictures with our equipment.

It's agreed that you can take an outstanding photograph with a 6.1MP camera,
or whatever. Gear doesn't give a photographer talent. I don't know if the
OP is another Annie Leibovitz or a hack. My point is that you will get a
lot more gear for your money if you wait until 2008 to buy a DSLR. It won't
be just the usual new model releases with more features. Prosumer DSLRs
will move to a new level next year with full-frame sensors and much more
storage for the same money as today's models. There's nothing wrong with
buying now, but your money will buy you into a new class of prosumer DSLRs
if you wait a little longer.

SW

Old March 21st 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Summer Wind[_2_]

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in message
.. .
Summer Wind wrote:

... Mass market is where the money is, and the mass market
isn't looking for full-frame 35mm sensors.

The mass market buys whatever the camera manufacturers produce at a certain
price level. Canon will lead the way with full-frame sensors in all it's
DSLRs within a short period of time, and Nikon will follow.

SW