Cleaning salt spots from lens

Old March 20th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Smith[_3_]

Default Cleaning salt spots from lens

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 19, 7:17 pm, "John Smith" wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message

ups.com...

For that matter is salt water was really that bad for coated lenses my
glasses would be trash
by now since they get far more exposure to salt spray then my lenses
do.

Scott

Do you know what brand Anti/Reflect coating you have on your eyeglasses?
I've had a lot of trouble with mine going south in as little as six
months,
and that's using lens tissue made expressly for that purpose.
I'd sure like to find something more durable.

I am not sure who did the coating, but I have real glass lenses in
them.
Plastic is very hard to coat and the coating tends to fall off. Are
you
glasses made from glass or plastic?

Scott
Made from glass...cost me a fortune and have been a big disappointment...

DP

Old March 20th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

Rich wrote:
On Mar 19, 10:20 am, Dave S Dave S wrote:
Hello

I have noticed some salt spotting on my camera lens after a trip to
the seaside. Someone suggested I clean it with a lenspen but I have
thoughts that salt spots are likely to be crystalline therefore
abrasive, so would it be better to clean the lens with water and a
soft cloth ?

On the other hand I have read that it is better not to clean a camera
lens too often except that some contaminants like finger prints are
acidic and can damage the lens coatings.

Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.

Thanks

Dave

NEVER clean ANY lens with a dry tissue.

Never do it the way most people do it. If you roll up a lens tissue and
tear it in half you have two really nice clean lens brushes to brush off
dust.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old March 20th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ockham's Razor

In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

Rich wrote:
[...]

This is why many people use a UV or clear filter on lenses. Unscrew the
filter and rinse under running water, dry with a soft cotton cloth and
screw it back on.

carrying a cross."
Sinclair Lewis