polishing up panoramic (panotools/ptgui) pictures?

Old January 10th 05, 01:16 AM

Default polishing up panoramic (panotools/ptgui) pictures?

Hi, I have been playing around with panotools and ptgui trying to make
some good panoramic pictures and have run into a few problems that may
or may not be fixable. I have a picture (well a few but the following
is the best example) where the different pictures used to put it
together are of slightly different light and/or focus, I posted it
(having used enblend and w/o) so you can see what I mean:
http://www.geocities.com/gaikokujin_.../vangvieng.jpg

and another picture is (to me) almost perfect except for one part where
some ripples in the water are really obvious (this isn't the whole
panoramic but I didn't see the need to post the whole thing):
http://www.geocities.com/gaikokujin_...res/mekong.jpg

I am using photoshop CS (and have gimp too) and was hoping some people
out there might have some suggestions on how I could salvage/repair
these pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

-Gaiko

Old January 10th 05, 01:47 AM
jjs

Sorry I can't offer a specific remedy, but I can give a tip: when doing
multiple panoramic exposures, lock the exposure and focus. Auto-anything can
really mess up the outcome.

Old January 10th 05, 01:59 AM
Peadge

You may be able to open each picture separately and apply auto Levels,
Contrast and Color (Image Adjustments) and then reassemble them.
Currently, the differences are quite pronounced. Or you may be able to do
the same thing to the panorama, but with lightly feathered selections.
Adjusting them first, prior to assembly would be a good idea. But Like JJ
said, you should've shot everything with the exact same settings in the
first place.

Peadge :-)

oups.com...

Old January 10th 05, 02:00 AM
paul

Clone tool for the water?

The first one, I hope is still in separate layers. You can use the dodge
& burn tools with low opacity & a big soft brush. The smudge tool is
good for blending simple skys sometimes.

Old January 10th 05, 02:15 AM
Ron Hunter

[...]

I have had some success with processing each picture to get an average
brightness/contrast, and then putting them back into the panorama. As
for the problem with the ripples, I see no workable solution. You might
try a slight blur over the conflicting area to minimize the effect.

Old January 10th 05, 02:21 AM
Peadge

Oh, for the ripple problem, which I forgot to address earlier, you may be
able to make a heavily feathered selection of some other ripples and copy
and paste it into a new layer on top. Then use your eraser tool with a large
soft brush and the opacity turned down to about 40% or so to erase the edges
to get it to blend even more. Or you may add your own ripples to it using
the Distort Filter.

Peadge :-)

"Peadge" wrote in message
You may be able to open each picture separately and apply auto Levels,
Contrast and Color (Image Adjustments) and then reassemble them.
Currently, the differences are quite pronounced. Or you may be able to do
the same thing to the panorama, but with lightly feathered selections.
Adjusting them first, prior to assembly would be a good idea. But Like JJ
said, you should've shot everything with the exact same settings in the
first place.

Peadge :-)

oups.com...