camera makes funny noise and doesn't take pics

Old January 10th 05, 12:47 AM

Default camera makes funny noise and doesn't take pics

Hi,

I have a Vivitar 3615 ($150 point and shoot, 2.1 mp) which is about 2
years old. I dropped it a few months ago which I thought would take it
out of action but once I readjusted the battery contacts it has worked
fine, Up until now. The most recent events for it we I had iPhoto
erase the pictures in it after I downloaded them and then recharged the
batteries. Once I put the recharged batteries in it made a funny noise
right after being turned on and after I take a picture. All pictures
come out as nothing but black. The LCD viewer doesn't work anymore now.

Has iPhoto ever screwed up other people's cameras? This was the first
time I let it erase the camera's contents.

I've reformatted the memory card, reset the factory defaults, taken the
batteries out and put them back in. Nothing has helped.

Has my camera bit the dust? I am writing to Vivitar to see what they
say but don't expect repairing a camera to be economical anyway. I'm
hoping there is something I can do to perhaps give this camera one more
life...

Thanks.

John L

Old January 10th 05, 02:13 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article . com,
wrote:

Has my camera bit the dust? I am writing to Vivitar to see what they
say but don't expect repairing a camera to be economical anyway. I'm
hoping there is something I can do to perhaps give this camera one more
life...

Toss it and get something that doesn't have the name Vivitar on it.

Old January 10th 05, 04:25 PM
Christopher Muto

if your rechargeable batteries are two years old like your camera they are
likely the source of your problem. many cameras demonstrate odd behavior
with batteries that are not fully charged. if new batteries do not solve
the problem then it is worth looking at current camera prices before you
even consider a repair of the old or even paying for an estimate of a
repair. basic p&s digital cameras can be had for as little as $100, and lots
of very capable ones go for under $200.

ups.com...

Old January 11th 05, 12:05 PM
stewy

[...]

First. Erasing photographs in iPhoto is a bad idea. The program will delete
them but close off part of the media's memory to new photos - what you
should do is either delete using the camera or re-format the media to regain
the full capacity.

Second. By the sound of it you've done something evil to the innards -
digital cameras are not renowned for being rugged. Try and see if repair is
an option - usually it isn't unless the camera is within guarantee. All
manufacturers would like to to write off non-working cameras and buy a new
one. Most digitals don't hold their value - I bought a Sony S-70 in 2001 for
£375, by 2004 the second-hand resale value had dropped to just £30. Try
looking on ebay for a working replacement or perhaps a bigger megapixel
camera.