Canon 20D underexposing

Old January 23rd 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Canon 20D underexposing

"Dave W" wrote in message
My son has recently acquired a canon 20D from an American supplier (mailed
to England). The camera consistently over-exposes by around 4 stops when
used in shutter priority or aperture priority. If he takes a shot in full
auto and then repeats that aperture in aperture priority, the shutter

speed
is slowed by around 4 stops. Likewise in shutter priority, if he repeats

the
speed, the aperture opens by around 4 stops or gives under-exposure
warnings.

Hi Dave,

Your subject line says underexposing, but then you say in the post that it's
over exposing. Either way it sounds like, someone else already posted this,
that exposure compensation has been inadventently set. It's set by the big
dial on the back of the camera and I sometimes bump it by accident when
shooting in shutter or aperture priority modes.

If shooting indoors at low ISO there may not be "enough" aperture for the
selected shutter speed. Are the photos coming out too /bright/ or too
/dark/?

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com/gallery

Old January 23rd 06, 09:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Beach Bum" wrote in message
snip
Hi Dave,

Your subject line says underexposing, but then you say in the post that
it's
over exposing. Either way it sounds like, someone else already posted
this,
that exposure compensation has been inadventently set. It's set by the
big
dial on the back of the camera and I sometimes bump it by accident when
shooting in shutter or aperture priority modes.

If shooting indoors at low ISO there may not be "enough" aperture for the
selected shutter speed. Are the photos coming out too /bright/ or too
/dark/?

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com/gallery

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your reply, and to all the other respondents. I hadn't spotted
that mistake in my posting until you pointed it out, DOH!
I should have said that in full auto, the pictures were sensibly exposed
with parameters of shutter and aperture as you might expect. This was on
Saturday, a sunny day on the coast cliffs of Dorset. As said, in Aperture
priority and Shutter priority the camera tried to overexpose them hugely.
The recorded images where we let the camera do it's thing, were burnt out in
the lighter parts.
Where full auto set F 1:14 - 1/400th (bright winter sunshine), if we set F
1:14 in aperture priority, the camera set 1/25th of a sec! Isn't that 4
stops?
This isn't just a one-off, we have known about the fault since getting the
camera a couple of weeks ago, so accidental button presses can be
discounted.
I think I'm resigned to the fact that it is a fault and needs fixing by a
professional, probably Canon UK.

Dave W.

Old January 23rd 06, 10:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Beach Bum" wrote in message
"Dave W" wrote in message
[...]

I would recommend that before you take the camera to a Canon Service Centre,
you reset the camera to its default settings:

1. This is done by going to 'Clear Settings' near the bottom of the yellow
menu, and executing that function.

2. Also you may have inadvertently set the ISO speed setting differently for
the fully automatic or BASIC modes, than the CREATIVE modes in which you
would use the Av or Tv settings.

Mike Lees

Old January 23rd 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Mike Lees" wrote in message

I would recommend that before you take the camera to a Canon Service
Centre, you reset the camera to its default settings:

1. This is done by going to 'Clear Settings' near the bottom of the yellow
menu, and executing that function.

2. Also you may have inadvertently set the ISO speed setting differently
for the fully automatic or BASIC modes, than the CREATIVE modes in which
you would use the Av or Tv settings.

Mike Lees

Thanks Mike, I'll try that.

Dave W.

Old January 24th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Dave W" wrote in message
"Beach Bum" wrote in message

I think I'm resigned to the fact that it is a fault and needs fixing by a
professional, probably Canon UK.

Sounds like it might be. I hate sending cameras back for repair. Hope they
send it back to you soon.

Cheers,