SARS CoV-2 research you can help with

Old April 15th 20, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

Default SARS CoV-2 research you can help with

Assign that idle processor to a great cause. More processors = faster
progress.

https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/

= = = = == = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Project 16406
Disease Type: covid-19

This is a project simulating the Nucleoprotein RNA binding domain of
SARS-CoV-2. The nucleoprotein is involved in genome packaging, binding
the genetic material of the virus, RNA, and "packages" it to remain
stable as the virus assembles. This packaging also allows the RNA to
avoid our immune response that would normally chew up this viral RNA.

Nucleoprotein contains 2 folded domains, the RNA binding domain and the
"dimerization" domain, with a "floppy" disordered linker connecting
them. In projects p16427 and p16429 we are simulating the dimerization
domain, and in this project we are simulating the other folded domain of
the protein, involved in directly binding the RNA. Alternate
configurations of this protein are being simulated in p16400, p16401,
and p16404. Some of these configurations are being used to understand
the behavior of the linker, and others are useful for identifying
cryptic pockets for drug design efforts!

Our hope is that by simulating both domains, we can build a more
complete picture of the viral behavior by modeling the floppy linker
between them, and have a better understanding of how this virus works to
evade the host-immune response, and potential therapeutic strategies.

This project is managed by at Washington University in St. Louis.
Sukrit Singh is a Biophysics PhD student in Greg Bowman's lab at
Washington University in St. Louis.
Old April 15th 20, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-04-15 14:27, RichA wrote:
According to this, it hasn't begun yet?

Please be patient if you experience idle time as we face the COVID-19 pandemic together! We are working like mad to start simulations of COVID-19 proteins.

It's running on my machine presently. Right now they don't have enough
"work packages".

I started it, and the first package began an hour or so later. About
44% through the first one presently. I expect there will be a time
delay between this package and the next.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjz821gshu...-16406-769.png
Old April 15th 20, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-04-15 14:27, RichA wrote:
According to this, it hasn't begun yet?

Please be patient if you experience idle time as we face the COVID-19 pandemic together! We are working like mad to start simulations of COVID-19 proteins.

It's running on my machine presently. Right now they don't have enough
"work packages".

I started it, and the first package began an hour or so later. About
44% through the first one presently. I expect there will be a time
delay between this package and the next.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjz821gshu...-16406-769.png

I installed it and transferred one cancer work unit. It said initially it would complete it in 24hrs, now it's down to 10.

I selected "Any disease" and got SARS Cov-2.

Old April 16th 20, 02:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
geoff

On 2020-04-15 14:27, RichA wrote:
Â*Â* According to this, it hasn't begun yet?

Please be patient if you experience idle time as we face the
COVID-19 pandemic together! We are working like mad to start
simulations of COVID-19 proteins.

It's running on my machine presently.Â* Right now they don't have enough
"work packages".

I started it, and the first package began an hour or so later.Â* About
44% through the first one presently.Â* I expect there will be a time
delay between this package and the next.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjz821gshu...-16406-769.png

I installed it and transferred one cancer work unit.Â* It said
initially it would complete it in 24hrs, now it's down to 10.

I selected "Any disease" and got SARS Cov-2.

Something a little inconcise going on there, as most other places.

SARS CoV-2 is the *virus* that causes the *disease* COVID-19.

geoff
Old April 16th 20, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-04-15 14:27, RichA wrote:
Â*Â* According to this, it hasn't begun yet?

Please be patient if you experience idle time as we face the
COVID-19 pandemic together! We are working like mad to start
simulations of COVID-19 proteins.

It's running on my machine presently.Â* Right now they don't have enough
"work packages".

I started it, and the first package began an hour or so later.Â* About
44% through the first one presently.Â* I expect there will be a time
delay between this package and the next.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjz821gshu...-16406-769.png

I installed it and transferred one cancer work unit.Â* It said
initially it would complete it in 24hrs, now it's down to 10.

I selected "Any disease" and got SARS Cov-2.

Something a little inconcise going on there, as most other places.

SARS CoV-2 is the *virus* that causes the *disease* COVID-19.

I suppose even the researchers bandy the words about a little loosely
(and I don't know precisely what RichA posted - there may be an error in
that).

Look to my first post on the subject for the statement from the St Louis
University doing the job. It's clearly SARS CoV-2 proteins.

The protein folding jobs I've processed to date have all been labeled
SARS CoV-2. See the image I linked to a few posts up as an example.

So other than that minor error you spotted, all is well and concise.