One for RichA

Old May 10th 07, 07:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

Default One for RichA

Enjoy your metal body, how much resale value now?

http://www.sportsshooter.com/port_po...96&i_id=586715

Old May 10th 07, 07:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rudy Lacchin

"Pete D" wrote in message
Enjoy your metal body, how much resale value now?
http://www.sportsshooter.com/port_po...96&i_id=586715

Wow - how heavy is that lens?!

R.

Old May 10th 07, 07:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

Pete D wrote:
Enjoy your metal body, how much resale value now?

http://www.sportsshooter.com/port_po...96&i_id=586715

See? The metal lens mount isn't even broken!

Wow. That's a painful photo. -Even worse than mine:
A D30 is one thing...but a 1 series is a bit more painful, not to mention
the lens elements were likely toast as well.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old May 10th 07, 08:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

Rudy Lacchin wrote:
"Pete D" wrote in message
Enjoy your metal body, how much resale value now?
http://www.sportsshooter.com/port_po...96&i_id=586715

Wow - how heavy is that lens?!

R.

Heavy enough so that much less damage would have been done if it had a
cheap replaceable plastic mount.
Old May 10th 07, 11:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Kilpatrick

Pete D wrote:
Enjoy your metal body, how much resale value now?

http://www.sportsshooter.com/port_po...96&i_id=586715

That pic has made me feel MUCH better about my toy Sony A100. At least
there's a one-piece metal frame inside connecting the lensmount to the
rest of the innards. Looks like the 1D MkII is supported by its own
plastic exoskeleton. Definitely belongs to the arthropod world, my wee
DSLR may have an even softer skin but inside it's a vertebrate like me
with a proper set of bones...

Still wouldn't trust a 300mm f2.8 not to break them though.

We are just testing a Sigma SD14 with 50-500mm, and son Richard who has
got this job to do keeps having to remember to grab the strap on the
LENS not the camera.

David
Old May 10th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

frederick wrote:
Rudy Lacchin wrote:

"Pete D" wrote in message

Enjoy your metal body, how much resale value now?
http://www.sportsshooter.com/port_po...96&i_id=586715

Wow - how heavy is that lens?!

Heavy enough so that much less damage would have been done if it had a
cheap replaceable plastic mount.

It looks like the lens might be fine.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old May 10th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

MarkČ wrote:

Pete D wrote:

Enjoy your metal body, how much resale value now?

http://www.sportsshooter.com/port_po...96&i_id=586715

See? The metal lens mount isn't even broken!

Wow. That's a painful photo. -Even worse than mine:
A D30 is one thing...but a 1 series is a bit more painful, not to mention
the lens elements were likely toast as well.

This is all it took to disable my plastic D70:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/photography/cameras/2006-04-27-smashed-d70&PG=1&PIC=1
I sold the back LCD to a guy who cracked his & he reported that it
worked like a charm. I just gave him the whole back panel & I think he
simply switched that out. Hoping my metal D200 holds up better with the
next drop.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old May 10th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On May 10, 2:25 am, "Pete D" wrote:
Enjoy your metal body, how much resale value now?

http://www.sportsshooter.com/port_po...96&i_id=586715

That looks like the camera of the race shooter who got hit by an F1
car last week.
I'm sure if his camera had been plastic, that 5lb lens slamming into
it would have had no effect.

Old May 10th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
l v

Pete D wrote:
Enjoy your metal body, how much resale value now?

http://www.sportsshooter.com/port_po...96&i_id=586715

Why can't I get my plastic 300D Canon to break so I can upgrade?

--

Len
Old May 10th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

Paul Furman wrote:
frederick wrote:
Rudy Lacchin wrote:

"Pete D" wrote in message

Enjoy your metal body, how much resale value now?
http://www.sportsshooter.com/port_po...96&i_id=586715

Wow - how heavy is that lens?!

Heavy enough so that much less damage would have been done if it had a
cheap replaceable plastic mount.

It looks like the lens might be fine.

It does. It's a situation where the body is worth more than the lens -
the owner should seek cheap plastic lenses to use with such a camera.
Valuable lenses should only be used with cheap plastic cameras.