Comparing D2X to Canon 5D - lens question

Old December 9th 05, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Comparing D2X to Canon 5D - lens question

During an approaching shoot I'm going to be able to use both a Nikon
D2X and Canon 5D. I thought this would be a good opportunity to compare
the images produced by both cameras.

I have an 85mm f1.8 lens for the Canon, and I thought a good comparison
would be the 50mm f1.8 for the Nikon, as the crop factor should bring
me quite close to the 85mm focal length.

Does this seem like a fair comparison? Or are there factors with my
lens selection/crop factor/ sensor size that might handicap one camera
over the other?

Thanks,
Dave

Old December 9th 05, 10:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote in message
oups.com...
During an approaching shoot I'm going to be able to use both a Nikon
D2X and Canon 5D. I thought this would be a good opportunity to compare
the images produced by both cameras.

I have an 85mm f1.8 lens for the Canon, and I thought a good comparison
would be the 50mm f1.8 for the Nikon, as the crop factor should bring
me quite close to the 85mm focal length.

Does this seem like a fair comparison? Or are there factors with my
lens selection/crop factor/ sensor size that might handicap one camera
over the other?

I can't comment on the Nikon but to use anything but an L lens on the Canon
is a waste of camera body. If you intend to to use non-L lenses on a Canon
DSLR you are doing the camera and yourself a disservice.

I have a Canon G5 and it produces better pictures with its fixed lens than
my 350D does with its kit lens. True - the DSLR has significantly less
shutter lag but to spend £600 on a body but only £150 on a lens seems
illogical.

John

Old December 9th 05, 10:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

If you have interests in angle of view and achievable shutter speed, 50mm
f/1.8 for the Nikon will be good to compare.
But for the same amount of background blur with same angle of view, you'll
need 50mm f/1.0 for the Nikon.

oups.com...

Old December 9th 05, 10:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an 85mm f1.8 lens for the Canon, and I thought a good comparison
would be the 50mm f1.8 for the Nikon, as the crop factor should bring
me quite close to the 85mm focal length.

Does this seem like a fair comparison? Or are there factors with my
lens selection/crop factor/ sensor size that might handicap one camera
over the other?

If you shoot with the 85mm wide open you will have substantially less depth
of field with the 85 than with the 50mm. You would get closer (but still
not there) with a 50mm 1.4.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

85mm f1.8 on the D5 at 10 feet has 0.44 feet total depth of field.
50mm f1.8 on the D2X at 10 feet has 0.86 total depth of field.
50mm f1.4 on the D2X at 10 feet has 0.68 total depth of field
The program doesn't offer f1.2 as an option (and presumably you don't have a
58mm f1.2 Noct), but even at 50mm/f1.0 you still get 0.48 feet which is
slightly greater than the canon.

If you stop the 85mm down to f2.8 or smaller then you can effectively match
it by shooting the D2X ~1.5-2 stops more open.

The bigger problem is trying to find a DX equivalent to 50mm/f1.4. A
"normal" lens for DX would be ~28mm, and the 28mm/f1.4 is ridiculously
expensive, and won't come close to providing the same depth of field.

Regards,
Andrew

Old December 10th 05, 02:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Eatmorepies" wrote in message

I can't comment on the Nikon but to use anything but an L lens on the

Canon
is a waste of camera body.

You obviously haven't tried the non-L EF 50 f1.4, nor the EF 85 f1.8.

I have a Canon G5 and it produces better pictures with its fixed lens than
my 350D does with its kit lens. True - the DSLR has significantly less
shutter lag but to spend £600 on a body but only £150 on a lens seems
illogical.

John

Your statement may be true for non-L zoom lenses, but many of Canon's primes
produce excellent results, without the need for the special glass or exotic
features which then give the lens an "L" designation.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old December 10th 05, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Or 100mm f2.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old December 10th 05, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
"Eatmorepies" wrote in message

I can't comment on the Nikon but to use anything but an L lens on the

Canon
is a waste of camera body.

You obviously haven't tried the non-L EF 50 f1.4, nor the EF 85 f1.8.

I have a 50mm f1.4 - it is ok but does not compare with the L lenses I have.
Sorry - but it's the way things are.

John

Old December 11th 05, 01:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article ,
Eatmorepies wrote:

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
"Eatmorepies" wrote in message

I can't comment on the Nikon but to use anything but an L lens on the

Canon
is a waste of camera body.

You obviously haven't tried the non-L EF 50 f1.4, nor the EF 85 f1.8.

I have a 50mm f1.4 - it is ok but does not compare with the L lenses I have.
Sorry - but it's the way things are.

In what way? I too have this optic, as well as L glass, which I use on a 5D
and my experience is the complete opposite to yours - the 50 is one of the
best pieces of glass in the EF mount.
--
Sarah (nee Chris) Brown - business as usual during renovation

Gender Dysphoria info: http://www.looking-glass.greenend.org.uk/help.htm
http://www.elevated.fsnet.co.uk/index-page7.html
Old December 11th 05, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Sarah Brown" wrote:
Eatmorepies wrote:

I have a 50mm f1.4 - it is ok but does not compare with the L lenses I
have.
Sorry - but it's the way things are.

In what way? I too have this optic, as well as L glass, which I use on a
5D
and my experience is the complete opposite to yours - the 50 is one of the
best pieces of glass in the EF mount.

At f/8, that's what all the reviews say. There are a couple of expensive
telephotos (and maybe a macro lens or two) that test better, but for
resolution test charts, it's one of the best lenses made. Prior to one
(otherwise completely sensible) guy over on dpreview, there was near
unanimous infatuation with its bokeh as well. I find it to be excellent for
low-light work on the 300D, but haven't gotten around to working with it
much on the 5D.

Nikon's quite the opposite: their cheap 50/1.8 is quite a bit better than
Canon's cheap 50/1.8 but their 50/1.4 isn't quite as good as Canon's.
According to the reviews, that is.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan