HDR (Photomatix) from the one photograph.

Old November 16th 07, 07:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

Default HDR (Photomatix) from the one photograph.

I have been going over some of my old
photographs, especially the contrasty ones,
to try and redeem them.

If I use the PShop CS2 curves and generate
two photos from one, one with the shadows
fixed, and one with the highlights darkened,
and then combine them with Photomatix, then
I get a presentable whole.

Has anyone used this method too, because it
saves the tedious layering process in PS.

Is there some sort of downside?

PJ

Old November 16th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Pugh[_2_]

In message , Peter Jason
writes
I have been going over some of my old
photographs, especially the contrasty ones,
to try and redeem them.

If I use the PShop CS2 curves and generate
two photos from one, one with the shadows
fixed, and one with the highlights darkened,
and then combine them with Photomatix, then
I get a presentable whole.

Has anyone used this method too, because it
saves the tedious layering process in PS.

Is there some sort of downside?

PJ

I've dropped a few of my efforts onto the web for you to have a look at:

http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/nei...tos/index.html

Most are from a single RAW, letting Photomatix sort it out. One is from
a three JPGs (one as taken, one lightened and one darkened as you
outlined above).

Some photos work better than others for Photomatix. It's awfully easy to
get some very odd colours and fringes (as you will see from a couple of
the examples I've given!). I'm still playing with HDR, and as you will
see from the examples, I'm certainly no expert.

Neil Pugh
Old November 17th 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Douglas[_4_]

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:06:18 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:

I have been going over some of my old photographs, especially the
contrasty ones, to try and redeem them.

If I use the PShop CS2 curves and generate two photos from one, one
with the shadows fixed, and one with the highlights darkened, and then
combine them with Photomatix, then I get a presentable whole.

Has anyone used this method too, because it saves the tedious layering
process in PS.

Is there some sort of downside?

PJ

I'm not sure what you find about Photoshop's HDR that drives you to
Photomatix. You can use HDR in Photoshop with one image. Just develop
high and low, save as TIFF files and use them. I frequently do it when I
need to recover blown highlights.

Douglas

--
If you don't defend your rights... You end up without any!
Old November 17th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Nov 16, 1:06 am, "Peter Jason" wrote:
I have been going over some of my old
photographs, especially the contrasty ones,
to try and redeem them.

If I use the PShop CS2 curves and generate
two photos from one, one with the shadows
fixed, and one with the highlights darkened,
and then combine them with Photomatix, then
I get a presentable whole.

Has anyone used this method too, because it
saves the tedious layering process in PS.

Is there some sort of downside?

PJ

I used photomatix to recover old photos (both digital or scanned
photos) and convert into HDR. Check them at
http://picasaweb.google.com/aniramca/Photomatix_HDR
All photos come from a single JPEG file, or scanned from a print into
JPEG file. I usually create duplicates using Gamma correction in my
old Paint shop Pro version 6 (or 7?). I made 2 under exposures
(usually with gamma = 25% and 50-60%, and 2 over exposures (usually
gamma = 190-200% and 360-400%).
Old November 17th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
The Spider Formally Seated Next To Little Miss Muffet

wrote in message
[...]

Well, those are without a doubt the must ass with terd ugly things I have
ever seen.

The Spider

--
Ignorance really is bliss, just look how happy President Bush is.

Old November 17th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

wrote in message
On Nov 16, 1:06 am, "Peter Jason"
wrote:
[...]

Thanks, this is what I had in mind. I
photograph buildings and this produced high
contrast when the sun is shining.
Normally I wait for an overcast day to get in
all the detail, but this method might save
some trouble.

DxO Optics Pro v4 has some form of
optimization, but I do not know if they use
this one.

Old November 17th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

Jason wrote:

I have been going over some of my old
photographs, especially the
contrasty ones, to try and redeem them.

If I use the PShop CS2 curves and generate
two photos from one, one
with the shadows fixed, and one with the
highlights darkened, and then
combine them with Photomatix, then I get
a presentable whole.

Has anyone used this method too, because
it saves the tedious layering
process in PS.

Is there some sort of downside?

PJ

I'm not sure what you find about
Photoshop's HDR that drives you to
Photomatix. You can use HDR in Photoshop
with one image. Just develop
high and low, save as TIFF files and use
them. I frequently do it when I
need to recover blown highlights.

Douglas

I have not yet tried the one in PS, but I
will.

Old November 17th 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Douglas[_4_]

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 20:57:42 -0800, The Spider Formally Seated Next To
Little Miss Muffet wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Ha, ha, ha... ROTFL. Art is art no matter where it comes from.
Do you have no sole, spiderman?

--
If you don't defend your rights... You end up without any!
Old November 17th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug McDonald

The Spider Formally Seated Next To Little Miss Muffet wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.com/aniramca/Photomatix_HDR

Well, those are without a doubt the must ass with terd ugly things I
have ever seen.

The Spider

Quite the troll, Mr. Spider, aren't we ... OOPS, PARDON,
they really ARE exactly what you say they are ... REALLY BAD!!!

Old November 17th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug McDonald

Douglas wrote:
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:06:18 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:

I have been going over some of my old photographs, especially the
contrasty ones, to try and redeem them.

If I use the PShop CS2 curves and generate two photos from one, one
with the shadows fixed, and one with the highlights darkened, and then
combine them with Photomatix, then I get a presentable whole.

Has anyone used this method too, because it saves the tedious layering
process in PS.

Is there some sort of downside?

PJ

I'm not sure what you find about Photoshop's HDR that drives you to
Photomatix. You can use HDR in Photoshop with one image. Just develop
high and low, save as TIFF files and use them. I frequently do it when I
need to recover blown highlights.

Douglas

Even that is not necessary. Just use Photoshop to convert the RAW image
to a low contrast (say -30) 16 bit Photoshop file, making sure you get the
whole image into the more or less linear part of the curve. Make sure you have the
whole high and low parts unclipped. 16 bits is plenty to get any image
from current cameras, even the newest "claimed 14 bit" Canons, if done right.

Save the original. Then go to work in Photoshop. Use Noise Ninja on the dark parts.

Doug McDonald