pixels of the wrong color

Old January 5th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default pixels of the wrong color

Hello,

I don't know the correct name for what I'm talking about, otherwise I
would use it.

In many of the digital pictures I've taken, a few pixels are way off
color. For example, a few random pixels on a face might be purple or
green. A few random pixels of a blue sky might be pink, for no reason
outside of the camera itself.

This effect increases with low light, but it is present at all light
levels.

If there is a correct name for this phenomenon, someone can tell me.
Until then, we can call it mis-pixelation.

Anyway:
It's pretty obvious that I'm not using a top-of-the-line camera. (Nor
do I spend all of my money on a car, aquarium, garden, computer, books,
etc. I have a budget. Please don't tell me that my only option is to
"get serious" and spend a year's income, or else I'd better forget it.)

How much, realistically, should I expect to spend on a digital camera
that doesn't "mispixelate"?

Thank you for all answers!

Ted Shoemaker

Old January 6th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

Are the off colour pixels always in the same location on the image?

--
Joan

wrote in message
ups.com...
: Hello,
:
: I don't know the correct name for what I'm talking about, otherwise
: would use it.
:

Old January 6th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

wrote:
Hello,

I don't know the correct name for what I'm talking about, otherwise I
would use it.

In many of the digital pictures I've taken, a few pixels are way off
color. For example, a few random pixels on a face might be purple or
green. A few random pixels of a blue sky might be pink, for no reason
outside of the camera itself.

This effect increases with low light, but it is present at all light
levels.

If there is a correct name for this phenomenon, someone can tell me.
Until then, we can call it mis-pixelation.

I *think* what you're talking about is "noise". The correlation with
low light is highly indicative. (If it's always the *same* pixel or
three, then it's a "hot pixel" problem instead, a completely different
issue.)

Anyway:
It's pretty obvious that I'm not using a top-of-the-line camera. (Nor
do I spend all of my money on a car, aquarium, garden, computer, books,
etc. I have a budget. Please don't tell me that my only option is to
"get serious" and spend a year's income, or else I'd better forget it.)

How much, realistically, should I expect to spend on a digital camera
that doesn't "mispixelate"?

Look at the noise values for cameras given on dpreview.com in their
camera reviews. And while you're at it look closely at their noise
sample photos and see if that's really the issue you're dealing with.

You won't find any digital camera at any price that doesn't do it at
all; however, some cameras do it less than others, even in the cheap
range. For example the Fuji F30 handles low light and high ISO shots
much more cleanly than other cameras in its price range. And the DSLRs
generally do much better than the point-and-shoots. And there's a lot
variation between the DSLRs still. In general, physical pixel size
correlates with low noise -- larger sensors, or lower resolution, mean
lower noise (at any given technology level).

Software like Noise Ninja or Neat Image (or others I don't currently
remember) can mitigate the problem significantly without creating too
many other problems if used with restraint (is that guarded enough to
avoid starting a flame war?).

Since I moved to DSLRs (a Fuji S2 for a few years, and now a Nikon D200)
I've found that noise, with a bit of mitigation, is less of a problem
than film grain in the low-light situations I shoot in a lot. But film
grain has been my constant enemy my whole photographic life, so "less of
a problem than film grain" still leaves LOTS of room for some pretty
hideous noise artifacts.
Old January 7th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Judging from everyone's comments, my problem is NOISE. I'll keep that
in mind when shopping for the next camera.

Thanks to all who responded.

Ted Shoemaker

Old January 8th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On 7 Jan 2007 08:28:06 -0800, "Don Stauffer in Minnesota"

Judging from everyone's comments, my problem is NOISE. I'll keep that
in mind when shopping for the next camera.

Thanks to all who responded.

Ted Shoemaker

If it is an interchangable lens camera, keep it in mind when shopping
for lenses also. Faster lens (lower f/#) gives less noise in dim light
situations.

Well, it will *allow* for less noise, if the ISO speed is lowered to
take advantage of the increased aperture.
But you knew that. :-)

--
Hillary Clinton was sworn
into the Senate Thursday