Issues connecting RH Designs ZoneMaster and StopClock Pro

Old January 29th 04, 06:32 PM
Tony Terlecki

Default Issues connecting RH Designs ZoneMaster and StopClock Pro

I was wondering whether anyone else had this combination of timer and
analyser and is connecting the two so that the measured reading from
the Zonemaster is automatically passed onto the StopClock?

I'm having a problem when the two are connected where it is taking an
inordinate amount of time to get a Zonemaster reading from the
baseboard. A measurement that would usually take about 3-4 seconds
using the Zonemaster on its own will take 30-60 (or more) seconds when
connected to the StopClock Pro. This basically renders this
connectivity feature useless (it's far quicker just to keep the two
separate and manually enter the reading on the Stopclock).

If anywone else is using this combination how long does it take you to
get a reading from the Zonemaster passed onto the Stopclock?

Thanks,

Tony Terlecki

Old January 29th 04, 07:33 PM
Bruce

I don't haave an answer but have you mentioned this to Richard or Ross? They
seem quite helpful with their products.

I'm having a problem when the two are connected where it is taking an
inordinate amount of time to get a Zonemaster reading from the baseboard. A

measurement that would usually take about 3-4 seconds using the Zonemaster on
its own will take 30-60 (or more) seconds when connected to the StopClock Pro.
This basiclly renders this connectivity feature useless (it's far quicker just
to keep the two separate and manually enter the reading on the Stopclock).

_________________
Ready, Fire, AIM.
Bruce
Brooklyn, N.Y.

Old January 30th 04, 05:09 AM
Dan Williams

I'm having a problem when the two are connected where it is taking an
inordinate amount of time to get a Zonemaster reading from the

baseboard. A
measurement that would usually take about 3-4 seconds using the

Zonemaster on
its own will take 30-60 (or more) seconds when connected to the

StopClock Pro.
Tony:
I have the same set up you are using and have no problems. My times with
the units connected appear no different to me than what I got when I used
the Zonemaster alone.

I have had the Zonemaster for several years and just bought the StopClock a
few months ago. I needed to have it modified to work with the StopClock.
Richard recommended that I have him hold the timer until he received my
Zonemaster so that he could test them together to be sure they interacted
correctly. I don't have any idea if this could be the cause of your problem
but you might ask Richard.

Dan Williams

Old February 3rd 04, 10:17 PM
Christopher Woodhouse

Tony, the Zonemaster has a special software feature that measures and
remeasures the light level until it is stable. Sometimes a small variation
in light intensity or noise can cause the unit to wait for long periods
before probability makes two successive measurements the same. If the ZM is
working well on its own, I can only believe it might be interference getting
picked and being transmitted back to the meter. You have two options, remove
the interference at source, or try to suppress it. Sometimes interference is
created by motors and dimmer switches on the same mains circuit.

One thing to check is that your stopclock is earthed and there is a fresh
battery in the ZM. The other thing to try is one of those clamp-on ferrite
filters that you find on some firewire and USB cables. The other possibility
is that the cable itself is picking up interference. We buy a ready made
cable and it did change a while back in construction. I'll ask Richard if
the version is a lapped or braided screen. On some of my early prototypes I
had the same issue and a change of cable fixed it.

Regards Chris Woodhouse MEng. ARPS

Darkroom resources and products
www.ktphotonics.co.uk

On 29/1/04 5:32 pm, in article