edge shadow on negative 6x7

Old January 28th 04, 09:02 PM
Don

Default edge shadow on negative 6x7

I just developed a couple of 6x7 negatives from a mamiya rb67 camera and
some of the frames have a very light shadow on the edge of the frame. There
is no detail in the shadow just a very light shadow along the left and right
sides of the image. It is not there on all frames. When comparing the
affected frame with that of a good one the image area is equal except the
slight increase that the shadow creates.

Any ideas as to why this may be happening. I assume it is no real big deal
as it does not seem to affect the image within the frame but I am curious as
to why this happens.

Don

Old January 29th 04, 12:43 AM
Richard Knoppow

"Don" wrote in message
I just developed a couple of 6x7 negatives from a mamiya

rb67 camera and
some of the frames have a very light shadow on the edge of

the frame. There
is no detail in the shadow just a very light shadow along

the left and right
sides of the image. It is not there on all frames. When

comparing the
affected frame with that of a good one the image area is

equal except the
slight increase that the shadow creates.

Any ideas as to why this may be happening. I assume it is

no real big deal
as it does not seem to affect the image within the frame

but I am curious as
to why this happens.

Don

By shadow do you mean a dark area on the print or a dark
area on the negative?

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old January 29th 04, 01:29 AM
Don

By shadow do you mean a dark area on the print or a dark
area on the negative?

--

Richard, the shadow is on the negative, if I were to put
the negative into a negative carrier I do not believe the shadow would exist

Don

Old January 29th 04, 03:54 AM
Francis A. Miniter

I have a Koni Omega (coincidentally, a 6x7) and some of the backs have
had edge shadow poroblems. I finally concluded that the pressure plate
on the back was not firmly tight, so that a little bit of light was
admitted to the area beyond the bounds of the negative. My remedy was
to adjust the springs behind the pressure plate.

Francis A. Miniter

Old February 1st 04, 02:08 PM
Dabar

If I am getting this right, it is because You left the exposed, sealed film
in the light instead of pocketing it. Some light slips between the edge of
the spool and the edge of the paper that covers the film. If the frames
closer to the surface, the ones exposed later (7,8,9 in a 6x7 camera), are
affected more than the ones closer to the spool, there is Your answer. Also,
if the light falling on the film after You sealed it was coming from one
direction, for example falling from a single window or a bulb towards the
film, the side facing it will be affected, while the one in the shadow
won't. Always put your exposed rolls in the bag or in Your pocket. Although
this is usually not a problem if You enlarge Your prints with a carrier that
completely covers the edges of the negative, it's better not to have this
problem

cheers

Dabar