Canon 20D or Nikon D70s?

Old November 27th 05, 04:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Canon 20D or Nikon D70s?

John A. Stovall wrote:

L is for Luxury.

I believe I have read in Canon literature that the L stands for
use of low dispersion glass in the design. The use of such glass
tends to result in better performance (but not necessarily),
and canon has made some L lenses more rugged. Note, however,
that not all L lenses are weather sealed (the 100-400 zoom,
for example).

Roger
Old November 27th 05, 11:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

jmorelan1-temp wrote:
"nick c" wrote in message

Skip, I recall reading a magazine article where the reporter was
interviewing someone in the Canon hierarchy. The 17-85 "S" lens was
mentioned along with other lenses and the Canon person said if it were not
for the 17-85 lens being a "S" lens, the lens is so good it would be have
been released as an "L" lens.

I have the 17-85 lens and it's almost always on the 20D camera. As to it
being good enough to be labeled an "L" lens ... shrug. But it is a darn
good lens.

Nick,

The article was in either Shutterbug or Pop Photography (I still have the
issue somewhere). It was about the 10-22 EF-S lens. They said that if it
wasn't for the "S" designation and the lack of weather-proofness, it could
compete with nearly any of the "L" lenses.

The 10-22? Damn, I remembered it being the 17-85 primarily because I'm
not interested in getting the 10-22. That is if we read the same
article, which on the face of it seems more than likely that we did.

Thanks.

Old November 27th 05, 02:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote in
message ...
John A. Stovall wrote:

L is for Luxury.

I believe I have read in Canon literature that the L stands for
use of low dispersion glass in the design. The use of such glass
tends to result in better performance (but not necessarily),
and canon has made some L lenses more rugged. Note, however,
that not all L lenses are weather sealed (the 100-400 zoom,
for example).

Roger

Several years ago, I was corrected by Chuck Westfall, himself, when I said
that very same thing. L is for luxury.
BTW, if you can find a reference to back up what you said, I'd like to see
it, just to prove I wasn't nuts... ;-)

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old November 27th 05, 02:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

John A. Stovall wrote:

L is for Luxury.

I believe I have read in Canon literature that the L stands for
use of low dispersion glass in the design. The use of such glass
tends to result in better performance (but not necessarily),
and canon has made some L lenses more rugged. Note, however,
that not all L lenses are weather sealed (the 100-400 zoom,
for example).

Roger

Several years ago, I was corrected by Chuck Westfall, himself, when I said
that very same thing. L is for luxury.
BTW, if you can find a reference to back up what you said, I'd like to see
it, just to prove I wasn't nuts... ;-)

How does a lens get classed as luxury?

Old November 27th 05, 02:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Rich" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 13:57:03 -0800, "Skip M"
wrote:

A Corvette has about the same EPA rating as the 300C, but has an annoying
"skip shift" feature that skips from 1st to 4th under low load situations,
thus improving the fuel mileage on the EPA tests, but not in real world.
And its 6 speed transmission has two overdrive ratios, as opposed to the
300C's 5 speed and one overdrive.

No one uses the 6th gear in a Vette except maybe on long highway runs
where you get good fuel economy anyway. The Hemi according to some
users nets about 14mpg or less, depending on the vehicle.
I figure my Mach-1 gets worse mileage than the current Corvette.
-Rich

By the way i am about to quote toyota cos that is my source. Although it
can obvioiusly be generalised to the whole industry but i will avoid that as
my source is strictly a toyota one.

At this point i must point out that foreign imports usually need to have the
braking system improved upon cos fitted as standard it would fail an mot.
As to performance v emissions if a car is properly burning the fuel the bad
emissions are less. It is the incompletely burnt fuel that becomes CO
instead of CO2. As well as the other nasties. The toyotas newest machines
will send some of the exhaust gasses round again to be reburned in order to
improve emissions. These models also have improved fuel economy.

You will often find increasing efficiency of an engine will produce both
more power and more mpg.

The easiest way to achieve this is a sports exhaust system. Tend to be
noisier but allow the engine to breathe better. Fuel injection systems also
improved both performance and economy.

Old November 27th 05, 03:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

After a lot of research I decided on the 20D with the 17-85 IS lens. Love
it. Wouldn't change for anything. The image stabilization of that lens is
wonderful. Really helps old shaky guys like me. I'm looking to add the NEW
70-300 IS lens now.

Every review I read on line (dcresource.com, steve's , etc.) & in Popular
Photography rated the 20D tops. Better resolution than the D70 and faster
between shots. Of course now Nikon has the new D200, which looks like an
amazing camera. Of course it's more money.

All are good cameras. I'm big on imaged stabilized lenses. I think they
make a big difference. Enjoy whichever you buy.

--
Terry
Remove the rodent from my email address to reply directly.
"Per Ting" wrote in message
How these two compare, the price of cannon is slightly higher, but in
terms
of quality how do they compare. I am thinking of D70s with 18-70 kit lens
and 20D with 17-85 IS lens. How do the lenses compare? Any suggestion for
better wakl around lenses to go with each? I have heard good things about
Sigma 18-50 and 18-200 lenses.

Thanks

Old November 27th 05, 07:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 19:31:32 -0800, "Skip M"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

A Corvette has about the same EPA rating as the 300C, but has an annoying
"skip shift" feature that skips from 1st to 4th under low load situations,
thus improving the fuel mileage on the EPA tests, but not in real world.
And its 6 speed transmission has two overdrive ratios, as opposed to the
300C's 5 speed and one overdrive.

No one uses the 6th gear in a Vette except maybe on long highway runs
where you get good fuel economy anyway. The Hemi according to some
users nets about 14mpg or less, depending on the vehicle.
I figure my Mach-1 gets worse mileage than the current Corvette.
-Rich

That was my point, the 6th gear on the 'Vette only really affects the EPA
ratings, since the highway mileage tests are done in that gear.
And that 14mpg figure is probably for the trucks, which don't have the
"Displacement on Demand" feature. I've heard that figure bandied about for
the Ram, anyway. Car and Driver got something in the neighborhood of 20mph,
IIRC, during their road test of the 300C, which includes their acceleration
runs, handling course and braking tests.
And I'm sure your Mach I gets worse mileage than most of the performance
cars on the road today, electronic fuel injection and electronic ignitions
are much more efficient than the old ways.

Sorry! My Mach-1 is a 2004. I should have said that.
-Rich
Old November 27th 05, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:37:19 -0700, "Roger N. Clark (change username
to rnclark)" wrote:

John A. Stovall wrote:

L is for Luxury.

I believe I have read in Canon literature that the L stands for
use of low dispersion glass in the design. The use of such glass
tends to result in better performance (but not necessarily),
and canon has made some L lenses more rugged. Note, however,
that not all L lenses are weather sealed (the 100-400 zoom,
for example).

Roger

This reminds me of using two spotting scopes. One, a Kowa fluorite
(terribly over-rated scopes) the other a lowly Bushnell from the 1960s
with an achromatic lens. The Bushnell creamed the Kowa on detail.
Why? Because exotic glass can control some aberrations (notably CA)
but there is no guarantee that the lens itself is ground correctly or
that the design is as good as it could be. Using a high powered
eyepiece on the Kowa revealed a distorted diffraction pattern, it
was a piece of junk.
-Rich

Old November 27th 05, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

John A. Stovall wrote:

L is for Luxury.

I believe I have read in Canon literature that the L stands for
use of low dispersion glass in the design. The use of such glass
tends to result in better performance (but not necessarily),
and canon has made some L lenses more rugged. Note, however,
that not all L lenses are weather sealed (the 100-400 zoom,
for example).

Roger

Several years ago, I was corrected by Chuck Westfall, himself, when I
said
that very same thing. L is for luxury.
BTW, if you can find a reference to back up what you said, I'd like to
see
it, just to prove I wasn't nuts... ;-)

How does a lens get classed as luxury?

The same way Jaguars and Lecias are classed as luxury, Quality.

Define quality

Ever tried to keep a Jag running? They're better now that they are owned by
ford.