First sensor cleaning - tips?

Old November 29th 05, 02:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default First sensor cleaning - tips?

The Canon 20D's a couple of weeks old now; getting used to it through
experimentation.

Its time for me to learn/practice how to clean the CMOS sensor, before
I start to "shoot for the record".

From what I've picked up in reading so far, there generally seems to be

three basic skills that I'm going to need to develop:

1. How to determine if the sensor needs cleaning

2. A dry cleaning

3. A wet cleaning

For the first, the process seems to be to shoot an (out of focus?)
image of a blank white wall and then look for spots.

For the second, this would be a blow and brush.

For the third, this is reserved for when (2) doesn't clean up a
stubborn spot.

FAQ's / How-to webpages and/or other comments would be greatly
appreciated.

I've looked through the archives and several random webpages on the
subject seen a couple of very different (contradictory) comments on
various aspects of these steps, such as the use of a air bulb -vs-
compressed air -vs- CO2 and issues/concerns with some of the latter
potential containing an oil residue within, etc, etc.

At this point, I'm looking for some concensis opinion on what would
represent at least one way to "skin the cat" to get rid of / prevent
bad dust spotting.

TIA,

-hh

Old November 29th 05, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

-hh wrote:

The Canon 20D's a couple of weeks old now; getting used to it through
experimentation.

Its time for me to learn/practice how to clean the CMOS sensor, before
I start to "shoot for the record".

I first suggest patience. I've had a DSLR since March, and shoot a lot,
with a lot of lens changes. Dust motes really began to appear noticable
recently (yes there were a few, but almost never noticable in a finished
image).

So, the other day did the first cleaning of the sensor in 8 months. I
used a small blower bulb with a thin tube attached and holding the
camera lens end down, squirted air onto the sensor from a distance of
1/4 to 1/2 inch. It took 5 or 6 tries before most (not all) of the dust
motes were removed.

I then used "canned" air ***CAUTION*** with very short bursts and not
anywhere near full pressure. ****CAUTION**** clear the tube by shooting
a good blast away from the camera and always keep the can upright.

There are still a couple stubborn motes, but not noticable in an
ordinary photo. I'll eventually get a "wipe" kit.

For the first, the process seems to be to shoot an (out of focus?)
image of a blank white wall and then look for spots.

I find the best way is set for a small aperture (eg: f/22) and set
exposure for 2 to 4 seconds (say an interior wall indirectly lit by
sunlight). Out of focus and point at wall and expose while moving the
camera around (circling motion). This blurs out all wall detail, but of
course the dust remains right where it is creating a shaddow image of
the dust on the sensor.

Then in the monitor (on camera) zoom in and scan around for the dust, or
upload to PC and do the same (at 100% magnification, of course).

At this point, I'm looking for some concensis opinion on what would
represent at least one way to "skin the cat" to get rid of / prevent
bad dust spotting.

Prevention: change lenses in the cleanest environment possible. OTOH,
the lenses "breath" as they focus/zoom so dust is always being brought
into the lens barel, and some of that will get into the camera body at
some point.

Not really prevention as much as delaying the inevitable.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old November 29th 05, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Check out VisibleDust

www.visibledust.com

Don't be like me and 'experiment' first.

"-hh" wrote in message
ups.com...
The Canon 20D's a couple of weeks old now; getting used to it through
experimentation.

Its time for me to learn/practice how to clean the CMOS sensor, before
I start to "shoot for the record".

From what I've picked up in reading so far, there generally seems to be

Old November 29th 05, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

I experimented first. A word of advice - don't use sandpaper, as
there's a possible risk of damage.

Last week I wrapped a Calotherm lens cloth around the end of a
chopstick, folded over to give a flat edge of cloth, which I then
sprayed with lens cleaning spray. This sort of worked, except that I
gave up with the chopstick and simply wrapped the Calotherm cloth
around my finger in the end. I got rid of the dust I was after, but in
doing so, managed to fill the camera with about five times as much dust
as was there hitherto (mainly around the edges where my finger doesn't
reach.

A few days later I purchased a nice nylon paintbrush, and a rocket
blower. The brush has proved most effective for significant dust
build-up, and the blower gets rid of transient dust. I change lenses
quite frequently, and have only had the camera a matter of a month or
so, and dust has already become an irritation. Hopefully I'll get in
the swing of it after a while.

Old November 29th 05, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

-hh wrote:

[.. he wants to clean his sensor ..]

www.google.com: how to clean a dslr sensor

groups.google.com: how to clean a dslr sensor

Like tying shoelaces, or using a fork, there isn't much more that can
be said about this beyond that being a clean freak is Really, Really,
Bad when it comes to optics.

Old November 29th 05, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Ian Tindale" wrote in message
oups.com...
I experimented first. A word of advice - don't use sandpaper, as
there's a possible risk of damage.

hahaha

Last week I wrapped a Calotherm lens cloth around the end of a
chopstick, folded over to give a flat edge of cloth, which I then
sprayed with lens cleaning spray. This sort of worked, except .......

Christ i hope you are still joking.

Old November 29th 05, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On 11/29/05 8:49 AM, in article
, "-hh"
wrote:

The Canon 20D's a couple of weeks old now; getting used to it through
experimentation.

Its time for me to learn/practice how to clean the CMOS sensor, before
I start to "shoot for the record".

From what I've picked up in reading so far, there generally seems to be

[...]

Here is one link that you can take a look at:
http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_...rush_Your_Sens
or.html
Just a few additional tips:
When taking a test photo of a blank white wall or other such object stop
your camera down - all the way to the lowest f stop. This prevents the
light spread that you might get from a larger aperture that can obscure some
of the dust spots that you might have.
Don't ever spray compressed air on to your sensor; use something like a
rocket blower.
Shoot another test shot after using the rocket blower, you may not need to
brush at all.
IF wet cleaning is required I would go with the Sensor Swabs and Eclipse
fluid. There are cheaper solutions but wet cleaning should not be required
all that often and why take a chance with your expensive sensor?
When you clean your sensor make sure you are doing it with a fully charged
battery - it would be a really bad day if your shutter closed and mirror
came down on a rocket blower or sensor swab!
Chuck

Old November 30th 05, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Barry Hartigan" wrote in message
Check out VisibleDust

www.visibledust.com

Don't be like me and 'experiment' first.

Rather than spending a small fortune for their nylon brushes, you can pick
up a good nylon cosmetic brush for around $ 10.00 or so, works just fine.

Old November 30th 05, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Don't all sensors have an IR filter on them, so the risk of damage is
generally the same as cleaning a lens, e.g. removing coatings or
scratching the glass?
Old November 30th 05, 10:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
"Barry Hartigan" wrote in message
Check out VisibleDust

www.visibledust.com

Don't be like me and 'experiment' first.

Rather than spending a small fortune for their nylon brushes, you can pick
up a good nylon cosmetic brush for around $ 10.00 or so, works just fine.

Yes. I've used most recognized ways, and the nylon cosmetics brush is
best and cheapest IMO. Except I paid $1.97 for mine at WalMart after I
didn't like the size of the extra my wife had. I washed it with
distilled water, rinsed very well, then used a can of compressed air to
blow through it and set some static to lift dust. Works like a charm.

To check for dust if it isn't showing up in photos, I go outside, find
some sky, set the lens to f22 and shoot.

That shows it up well, and is a check I make after cleaning, too.

For all this, it is usually three to five months between cleanings,
even in the dust-laden environments I usually shoot in (woodworking
shops, garages, etc.).