Canon A710 pr G7

Old October 26th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gerald Mann

Default Canon A710 pr G7

Being clumsy, I recently dropped my Canon SD500. Rather than having it
repaired I intended to buy the A710 IS. However I saw the new G7 and wonder
whether it pays to spend the extra $ for it when most of my pictures are in
the point and shoot tradition. I have some aspirations to learning more
about using the camera on manual. I like the A's AA batteries, but the G7
seems to be better for learning to be a real photographer. I want a
compact, as I really hate a camera around my neck. Some comments please.

Old October 26th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bruce Chastain

"Gerald Mann" wrote in message
link.net...
Being clumsy, I recently dropped my Canon SD500. Rather than having it
repaired I intended to buy the A710 IS. However I saw the new G7 and
wonder whether it pays to spend the extra $ for it when most of my
pictures are in the point and shoot tradition. I have some aspirations to
learning more about using the camera on manual. I like the A's AA
batteries, but the G7 seems to be better for learning to be a real
photographer. I want a compact, as I really hate a camera around my neck.
Some comments please.

I've never used the G7 but I recently bought the A-710 IS and I can say that
I'm very, very happy with it. It has all the bells and whistles and manual
controls, plus image stabilization which I've come to love. My previous
camera was a Canon G2 (which still works but I never use it anymore).

I only have 2 gripes with the A-710 after taking well over 600 pictures on a
recent vacation. The back display tends to wash out on sunny days. I
gather that's a common problem with a lot of cameras.

And the optical viewfinder, which I use a lot, is very inaccurate. I would
estimate the viewfinder shows only about 70% of the actual picture being
taken. That makes accurate framing using the optical viewfinder difficult.
The back display is of course 100% acurate.

I bought Lithium AA batteries for it (it takes 2) and they're still going
strong after over 600 shots.

Bruce.

Old October 26th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

"Bruce Chastain" writes:
I only have 2 gripes with the A-710 after taking well over 600 pictures on a
recent vacation. The back display tends to wash out on sunny days. I
gather that's a common problem with a lot of cameras.

How well does the IS work at the wider zoom settings?

And the optical viewfinder, which I use a lot, is very inaccurate. I would
estimate the viewfinder shows only about 70% of the actual picture

All compact P/S digicams seem to be like this.
Old October 26th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
JohnR66

"Gerald Mann" wrote in message
link.net...
Being clumsy, I recently dropped my Canon SD500. Rather than having it
repaired I intended to buy the A710 IS. However I saw the new G7 and
wonder whether it pays to spend the extra $ for it when most of my
pictures are in the point and shoot tradition. I have some aspirations to
learning more about using the camera on manual. I like the A's AA
batteries, but the G7 seems to be better for learning to be a real
photographer. I want a compact, as I really hate a camera around my neck.
Some comments please.

They are both nice cameras considering the zoom range and IS. I have not
been impressed by the low IS noise of the 10mp sensors though. It seems
great cameras are being handicapped by the "Megapixel Race". I have not seen
test shots from the 7mp A710. It has a tiny 1/2.5" sensor so I too question
the noise and optical quality from it. The A710 seems to run forever on just
two standard AA batteries, where the G7 uses a lithium-ion, so consider a
spare battery if your out in the boonies often.

Also consider the A620, if you like smooth low ISO images, a near perfect
lens but less zoom.
John

Old October 26th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 00:10:04 GMT, Gerald Mann wrote:

Being clumsy, I recently dropped my Canon SD500. Rather than having it
repaired I intended to buy the A710 IS. However I saw the new G7 and wonder
whether it pays to spend the extra $ for it when most of my pictures are in
the point and shoot tradition. I have some aspirations to learning more
about using the camera on manual. I like the A's AA batteries, but the G7
seems to be better for learning to be a real photographer. I want a
compact, as I really hate a camera around my neck. Some comments please.

If you consider learning to take process RAW files, which can be
beneficial when images weren't taken with the most ideal exposure
and WB settings, then you might be better off trying to get a G6
instead of the G7. The G6 and G7 probably have more features than
the A710, but any of these cameras would allow you to learn to be a
real photographer. A really good photographer would be able to take
better pictures with the A710 IS than most amateurs would with
better cameras having more features. That said, the G series
cameras have better lenses and can produce higher quality images.
While I haven't seen figures, the G series cameras probably perform
better (such as focus quicker and more accurately, especially in dim
light) than cameras such as the A710 that use only two AA cells.
The A710's IS is a nice feature, but "real" photographers know that
if you can tolerate the bulk, tripods produce better images than IS,
so if you get an A710 and it prevents or delays your use of tripods,
it will slow you down on the road to learning to be a real
photographer. Maybe. A lot depends on you too.

Old October 26th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bruce Chastain

"Paul Rubin" wrote in message
How well does the IS work at the wider zoom settings?

Very nicely. No complaints. I was visiting a few dim museums and so was
taking lots of flashless hand-held available light pictures at slow shutter
speeds I wouldn't have dared try before. Most came out razor sharp despite
my shaky hands.

Here's more owner reviews:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...y=canon_a710is

Plan on getting a 1GB SD card at the same time. I also got the Canon
softcase that has a belt loop, so I can wear the camera conveniently.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...s=t&shs=psc-60

Bruce.

Old October 26th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

ASAAR wrote:
[...]

A friend of mine has the G6, I have the A95. While I think the G6 is a
great camera, it's getting awfully close to the low end dslr's in both
cost and size. If I had to get another camera I think I would go the
A620/630 route, larger sensor, flip out display and uses AA's. The
longer range zooms with IS models are very attractive though. I think
basically you can't go far wrong with any of them. Just don't be like my
son, buy something then bug your father by obsessing over what you might
have got (or paid).
Dave Cohen
Old October 26th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:49:48 GMT, Dave Cohen wrote:

A friend of mine has the G6, I have the A95. While I think the G6 is a
great camera, it's getting awfully close to the low end dslr's in both
cost and size. If I had to get another camera I think I would go the
A620/630 route, larger sensor, flip out display and uses AA's. The
longer range zooms with IS models are very attractive though. I think
basically you can't go far wrong with any of them. Just don't be like my
son, buy something then bug your father by obsessing over what you might
have got (or paid).

I agree with most of this, although the size of the G6 is self
limiting, since unlike with DSLRs, G6 owners don't catch or suffer
from the results of lens fever. I'd rather have an A610/A620 than
the newer higher res. models. In my own case the Fuji S5100 has
only a 4mp sensor, and I'd be more interested in upgrading by going
the tripod / lens filter route than moving up to a camera with an
8mp or 10mp sensor. Because of this, if I upgraded the camera at
all it might be to get the S5200 with "only" a 5mp sensor, since
unlike the S5100, it's nonextending lens allows the easy use of
filters. Like the A610/A620, the S5100 gets excellent life from its
AA batteries, and from what I've read, the S5200 does even better.

BTW, what camera did your son get and what does he wish he had
bought instead? If he had gotten the other one, I wonder if he
might now have been coveting an even better camera. Such is the
life of the camera collector.

Old October 27th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

ASAAR wrote:
[...]

I mislead with my tongue in cheek comment. The remark was quite generic,
it could apply to anything he gets.
Dave Cohen
Old October 27th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
DHB

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 16:43:33 -0400, ASAAR wrote:

[...]

I think Canon had to respond to Fuji's F10/11/30 which
offered "usable" ISO as high as (1600-F10/11 & 3200-F30) as well as
also provide a higher MP which marketing likely feels *most* people
want or expect. Fuji wisely held @ 6.3MP with a fairly large
*physical sized* sensor, with it's design & some quality in-camera
Noise Reduction, they produced a quality pocket size, low light
camera.

Not trying to rekindle the Fuji/Canon debate because I like
Canon & own a few of their cameras including the G2, A40, A60, A70,
A95, A610 & 300D & 30D DSLR. Had considered upgrading to the A630/640
for the larger 2.5" swivel LCD but was put off by the 8 & 10MP sensors
which I think are too noisy because of their sensor's *physical size*.
The A610\A620 seems to be where the Axx(x) line peaked but I hope
things will improve with their next offering in this line.

As to the Original Poster's choice/dilemma:
"Being clumsy, I recently dropped my Canon SD500. Rather than
having it repaired I intended to buy the A710 IS. However I saw
the new G7 and wonder whether it pays to spend the extra $ for it
when most of my pictures are in the point and shoot tradition."

My suggestion here is either buy the A710 IS or Fuji F30 but
always use the wrist strap. Doing so has saved more than 1 of my
Axx(x) cameras from a short life, mostly because I often prop them up
on almost anything to take long exposures in low light with the self
timer. Keeping the wrist strap on but slack has kept the camera from
a fall when I was accidentally bumped into in a crowded room & few
times when the railing I choose to place the camera was not as stable
as I thought. There always seems to be need of a good quality pocket
camera.

I have some aspirations to learning more about using the camera
on manual. I like the A's AA batteries, but the G7 seems to be better
for learning to be a real photographer. I want a compact, as I really
hate a camera around my neck. Some comments please."

For the above reason, I would stay clear of the G7 (10MP)
because I think it's too noisy & too big for what you want. If you
decide to learn more about photography an entry level DSLR would
likely be a much better choice when your ready. When that day comes
you will still want a good pocket size camera for when a DSLR is just
to big to carry around with you.

Best of luck, with whatever you select. Also keep in mind
that the *camera* does not define a "real photographer". A good
camera certainly helps 1 take a better picture but is far from a
guarantee of such. There are many people with top quality DSLR gear
who are "snap shot" photographers & there are those with very modest
cameras who take captivating pictures.

You *are* a "real photographer" if taking pictures gives you &
others pleasure. We can all improve but always enjoy where *you* are
*now*, live in the moment.

I am & will always be an amateur photographer by choice
because I don't ever want photography to feel like "work" or like I
"have to do it" when I am not in the mood to do so.

Respectfully, DHB

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918