my buying question, a canon a610 or a630?

Old October 8th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default my buying question, a canon a610 or a630?

hi all....

Here I am with a camera buying problem. I really like the canon a610,
but alas they cannot be found in stores, but these are several places
on the net where they can be bought for $180 to $220
refurbished, and with canon warrenty.
Then there is Best buy with the new canon a630, at $300, and a $60
protection plan to boot.

but IS the 630 worth the extra $100, or so?!

I have a canon a410 now, and I *sort* of like it, but often it fails to
capture a good image in low light and i do not like the flash. Most of
my Flickr pictures are of scenes or of indoor things/people at low
natural light and then there are the sunset cloud pictures that I can
get, living on the
5th floor! a good clear image is important for me, on my flickr site.

I read that the 410, compared to the 620, is better in low light. but
the 630?!!

very little yet on the net for this 630.

so.
What are you all's experiences and thoughts about the a630, especially
compared with the a610?!

Is the a630 worth that $100+ difference?

thanks...freestone

Old October 8th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
DHB

On 8 Oct 2006 11:40:09 -0700, wrote:

hi all....

Here I am with a camera buying problem. I really like the canon a610,
but alas they cannot be found in stores, but these are several places
on the net where they can be bought for $180 to $220
refurbished, and with canon warrenty.
Then there is Best buy with the new canon a630, at $300, and a $60
protection plan to boot.

but IS the 630 worth the extra $100, or so?!

CUT

Is the a630 worth that $100+ difference?

thanks...freestone

freestone,
Here is my opinion as an A95 & A610 owner.

The A610, A630 & A640 all have the same physical size sensor,
1/1.8" with 5MP, 8MP & 10MP respectively. *If* all other factors are
the *same* then sensor noise should increase with the higher density
(smaller pixel size), less light per pixel per unit of time.

From what little I have seem thus far I won't be adding an
A630 to my collection for 2 reasons:

1 The A630 (8MP) may exhibit higher noise or added in-camera
processing effects employed to reduce image noise.

2 The A630 (8MP) lacks the remote image capture firmware just as the
A610 (5MP) does, however both the A620 (7.1MP) & the A640 (10MP) have
it. Likely Canon's was to justify the added cost for those who want
this feature.

Another thing to consider is @ Canon's web site:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=113

Download their "Sample Images" from the cameras of
consideration & look @ the EXIF DATA & you will see that they have
been processed through Adobe PS SC on a Mac. This may have been done
only to reduce the image file size, but there is no way to know "if"
that's all that was done. Even so, just reducing file size alone
still makes direct comparisons much less meaningful with uncompressed
files from their other cameras.

Bottom line:

If you're not in a rush to replace what you have, I would hold
out until more information is available including a review from:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

Until then, this may help:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a610.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a620.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a630.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a640.html

Best of luck with whatever you decide & if low noise in a P&S
is important to you, you may also want to consider the FUJI F30:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../fuji_f30.html

Respectfully, DHB

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

I thank you DHB!

I am coming around to the very same conclusion: that canon is pushing
the 630 and taking the 610..620 out, but new may not be best!

someone on a ???forum says that canon made a small mistake, to make a
camera in the point/click line that is nearly equal to a SLR!
goota fix *that*!!

the fuji will need, i see, the most expensive reader card and battery
proprietory. all of my 1 gib SD cards would be useless. I also
compared the images with vthis camera against the
a610, and that schoolhouse, there was a tremendus difference in favor
of the 610, for me at least!

I will probably go for the 610, unless I soon read differently!

thanks....freestone