Pentax "K" & "M" Lenses ?

Old June 21st 04, 04:11 PM
michel.[pas]carrere-[de]gee[spam]

Default Pentax "K" & "M" Lenses ?

michel.[pas]carrere-[de]gee[spam] a écrit :

Radio Man a écrit :

I have a manual Richo camera that accepts pentax K mount lenses.
Can i use a pentax "M" mount lens with my richo? Also what is the
difference between a "K" & "M" mount lens? .

Pentax M lenses are only "small" size lenses, often the same optic as K
lenses.
The K mount is stictly the same, full compatible.

Mo there is no "K" lens and no "M" mount !
Pentax never built a lens named "K", is a consensus to name the first
lenses with K bayonnet.
A M lense has the same K mount, no M mount.
Old June 21st 04, 06:14 PM
TP

Martin Trautmann wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:16:50 +0100, TP wrote:
I would not recommend any Pentax zoom lenses; these were never a
Pentax strength, at least not until the A series.

there are some good performers here, too,
e.g. SMC-A 35-105/3.5

That is exactly why I said "at least not until the A series".

Yes, the SMC-A 35-105/3.5 is a fine performer. Mine get a lot of use.

I say "get" because I own two, keeping one as a back-up. A few months
ago I dropped one and damaged it beyond repair. I have been using the
spare ever since. At last, I managed to find a good example on eBay
and my outfit is now back to full strength.

The 35-105mm is a remarkable lens; not only is it sharp throughout the
zoom range, it has well controlled distortion and the bokeh is good
enough for serious portraiture. It is probably my favourite Pentax
lens, although the SMC 35mm f/2 runs it close.

Old June 21st 04, 09:30 PM
Warren B. Hapke

Radio Man wrote:
: I have a manual Richo camera that accepts pentax K mount lenses.
: Can i use a pentax "M" mount lens with my richo? Also what is the
: difference between a "K" & "M" mount lens? .

You can use the Pentax M moutn lens on your Ricoh without problems.

"K-Mount" can mean two things. It can be either the entire series of
lenses that use the Pentax bayonet mount, or it can refer to the first
generation of Pentax lenses that used this mount. These lenses were
introduced with the first generation of Pentax K cameras in 1975. Very
soon after that, Pentax went to a series of smaller camera bodies and
lenses, called the M series. The mount itself was unchanged, but most of
the lenses were smaller than the original K series.

In the early 1980's, Pentax released another variant, called the A series.
This added an "A" setting to the diaphragm ring, which allowed
aperture-preferred automation, and it also had contacts on the lens mount
that helped communicate information to the camera for metering. Later
variants (F and FA) added autofocus. All the variants have the same
physical dimensions, so they will mount on your camera.

You can find much more detailed information at this site:
http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/

Warren B. Hapke

Old June 23rd 04, 02:39 AM
Lewis Lang

Subject: Pentax "K" & "M" Lenses ?
From: TP
Date: Mon, Jun 21, 2004 1:14 PM
Martin Trautmann wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:16:50 +0100, TP wrote:
I would not recommend any Pentax zoom lenses; these were never a
Pentax strength, at least not until the A series.

there are some good performers here, too,
e.g. SMC-A 35-105/3.5

That is exactly why I said "at least not until the A series".

Yes, the SMC-A 35-105/3.5 is a fine performer. Mine get a lot of use.

I say "get" because I own two, keeping one as a back-up. A few months
ago I dropped one and damaged it beyond repair. I have been using the
spare ever since. At last, I managed to find a good example on eBay
and my outfit is now back to full strength.

The 35-105mm is a remarkable lens; not only is it sharp throughout the
zoom range, it has well controlled distortion and the bokeh is good
enough for serious portraiture. It is probably my favourite Pentax
lens, although the SMC 35mm f/2 runs it close.

Hi Tony:

How does the 24-90 FA, 20-35 FA, 24/2.8 A and the 24/2 FAL and the 24-35/3.5
K?/M? compare to the 35-105/3.5 A lens you own (I'm hoping you've used or own
or seen results from at least one of these other lenses I mentioned... ;-).

TIA

Check out my photos at "LEWISVISION":

http://members.aol.com/Lewisvisn/home.htm

Remove "nospam" to reply

***DUE TO SPAM, I NOW BLOCK ALL E-MAIL NOT ON MY LIST, TO BE ADDED TO MY LIST,
PING ME ON THE NEWSGROUP. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE. :-) ***
Old June 23rd 04, 06:29 PM
TP

"Bandicoot" wrote:

There are the M 24-35 f3.5 and M 75-150 f4 - both pre-A zooms that are
truly excellent.

True, I had forgotten the M 75-150 f4, but I feel its performance is
eclipsed by that of the 75-150 f3.5 Nikon Series E, which the Pentax
lens cannot hope to match. But few other lenses can, either.

In general though it is true, everyone's early zooms were way below the ffl
lenses (now they are only a bit below) and for Pentax the A / pre-A split is
a good cut-off point to use as a rough guide when looking at older lenses.

I would agree.

However, there were still some mediocre SMC-A zooms. I remember being
particularly disappointed with the 28-135mm because of its (very)
severe barrel/pincushion distortion at the wide and tele ends
respectively.

Old June 23rd 04, 10:23 PM
Bandicoot

"TP" wrote in message
"Bandicoot" wrote:

[...]

Yes - everyone has made a few zoom-dogs, especially at the consumer end. I
think that 28-135mm was one of the first zooms Pentax made with a 'wider'
ratio (apart from the 135-600mm monster that was always a press/sports lens
and was OK for that purpose but not really for anything else.)

They steered clear of wide zooms as long as they could, with reason, and
this near 1:5 ratio is big - even now we don't expect much of lenses beyond
28-105, and all of the best zooms that start at 28 are the ones that only go
to 70.

That said, the 40-80mm wasn't that good either...

Peter