some old sh**, different day

Old June 20th 04, 11:35 AM
colm

Default some old sh**, different day

You're using Outlook Express, so have a look under Tools Message Rules
News

Set up a rule to filter out any messages whose subjects contain "******"
or "cum" or ..... etc.
Also on windows you can set up a nice little program called Newsproxy to
filter out any posts eminating from alias.net, google.com or any of the
other supposedly anonymous remailers. Google for newsproxy or nfilter.

Justin Thyme wrote:

The annoying posts I see are all the ones with totally OT headings (eg the
current "******" series), and then there are the porno titled ones that have
a virus attached. If you filter them out, would you mind letting me know
what newsgroup reader you use, and what filter rules you apply. The trouble
is, even if it is one person, the posts are coming from different fake email
addresses, so I can't see a way of the computer determining if it is real or
garbage.

Old June 20th 04, 01:04 PM
Justin Thyme

"colm" wrote in message
You're using Outlook Express, so have a look under Tools Message Rules
News

Set up a rule to filter out any messages whose subjects contain "******"
or "cum" or ..... etc.
Also on windows you can set up a nice little program called Newsproxy to
filter out any posts eminating from alias.net, google.com or any of the
other supposedly anonymous remailers. Google for newsproxy or nfilter.

Thanks for that - did the "run now" option - ahhhh quieter already.

Old June 23rd 04, 06:10 PM
Dallas

Pieter Litchfield said:

Well some things never change. This newsgroup specializes in racial
posts, circular political arguments, namecalling, and slander. I have
kill filed a great many members of the group, but the trolls either change
their names or new ones just come and stay a while. Perhaps this group
should be re-titled "alt. perventsandtrolls" and that way there is no
pretense of an interest in ,umm I forgot - oh yes! Photography.....

This is an exceptional group. No other group I monitor stoops to such a
level of name calling and degredation. Today was as bad as it gets.
You've driven me over the edge - I'm going to quit after a couple of years
because this group really has become a desert. Enjoy standing on your
soapboxes the corner of the internet - you can't see that nobody's
listening. We just move on. There's no life here worth saving. Bye.

Some filtering tips:

1. Filter out all crossposts.
2. Take the time to identify where the teenagers are posting from and
filter out the domain name on their Message ID header.

If more drastic filtering is required (which I am considering doing
myself)...

3. Filter out anybody who replies to trollbait.
4. Filter out those who reply to crossposts but without crossposting
themselves (these numbskulls are the only way I get to see all the stupid
headers that get crossposted to various groups).

I use PAN for news. Best filtering and functionality I have ever seen in a
reader AND it's free with Linux. I'm sure there must be a Windows version
for it.

--
Oh dear. Looks like my signature took off...
Reward offered.