Nikon D70 dSLR or Nikon CP8800 Non dSLR (Non-CCD Cleaning!!) ??

Old March 9th 05, 06:03 PM
Oliver Costich

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 07:30:48 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

Oliver Costich wrote:
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 07:47:15 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

Oliver Costich wrote:
[]
The 8800 has lots of shutter lag. It was the deciding factor in my
buying a D70 instead.

I would be surprised if it has "shutter" lag. Are you really talking
about "auto-focus" lag? You can eliminate that with a half-press of
the shutter release.

David

Auto focus plus file storing time. Call it whatever, it's quite long
in the 8800 compared to the D70.

Is that shooting RAW? File storing time has never been an issue on my
Nikon 5700 or 8400, but I don't shoot RAW.

David

I shoot RAW most of the time. I notice no difference between RAW and
FINE on the D70 but it's apparent on the Coolpix 5400
Old March 10th 05, 07:32 AM
David J Taylor

Oliver Costich wrote:
[]
Is that shooting RAW? File storing time has never been an issue on
my Nikon 5700 or 8400, but I don't shoot RAW.

David

I shoot RAW most of the time. I notice no difference between RAW and
FINE on the D70 but it's apparent on the Coolpix 5400

OK, writing RAW was slow with some of the earlier models. With the later
8400 and 8800 there is an "extra-fine" mode available which might satisfy
your quality needs.

Cheers,
David

Old March 18th 05, 07:41 AM
Patrick Boch

That Panasonic....Is certainly the best I've seen in its class...
"Patrick Boch" wrote in message
The Panasonic is a sure bet...I agree it needs a MP boost...I'd think
that's coming very soon.

--
____________________________
PATRICK//////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\

"Joseph Miller" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:
"Patrick Boch" wrote in message

You can read all you like..Very good informative...But for me: I go to a
good dealer-and just plain use them. The right camera will come forward.

--

That *used* to be what I would do, but there is literally no
knowledgeable dealer within driving distance. When I was young, we used

MaryL

In this case you must try an 8800. I decided it was the camera for me
based on reviews. My first was a Coolpix 950, and the shutter lag never
bothered me that much with that camera. I tend to frame a subject and
push the shutter half-way at the same time, so when I push all the way,
there is virtually no lag. I thought the 8800 shutter lag wouldn't bother
me, but it really did. There was something about the EVF and the way
things behaved when you pushed the button that put me off. It also
hunted around at full zoom in light that was a bit dim. I really wanted
to love this camera and played with it for about 30 minutes in the store.
The salesman was extremely knowledgable, as he was using one
professionally. But in the end I just found it didn't feel right to me.
Once again I concluded you must try it out for yourself. I could well
imagine that others would love this camera. I was very disapointed. On
the other hand, I tried a Panasonic Z20, and immediately it felt just
right in my hands. I thought it was perfect except I wanted 8 Mpix. Now
I have done a careful comparison of 5 and 8 Mpix cameras and have
decided, that for a while at least, the Panasonic should do just fine.

Joe