Holy ****!!! Did Microsoft get religion?

Old September 28th 16, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Holy ****!!! Did Microsoft get religion?

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

It's very possible, because I don't think there was any problem with
Windows itself.

To answer David's question at the same time, the first clue was when I
opened LR after both updates. When I tried to scroll through the
collections on the left side of the window, it took forever. Then I
saw that the menus would not open, and right clicking did not work on
anything. When other windows opened, only the outline and title bar
would appear. And everything that did work worked very slowly.

What impressed me is that the MS tech was very good, and got to the
source very quickly. He told me that he ended all 3d party processes,
and the PC came back to life immediately. He then used Malwarebytes to
scan for any issues, but found nothing with that.

I am so used to hearing that the only fix is a clean install of
Windows that it was just a relief to stumble across someone who took
the time to look for the actual problem, instead of using the usual
shotgun overkill approach.

Thanks, Bill. As you say, the problem was 3rd-party software, not
Windows. This is not an unknown situation! Hope it's remained OK.

wrong. it was because two updates happened at the same time, one of
which rebooted in the middle of the other.
Old September 28th 16, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| Yes. That's what I'm saying. They don't want
| to be. They need a stable fleet. The difference
| with Win10 is that Microsoft is providing the
| "consumer" market as a forced sucker beta test
| group to make sure things are stable when
| corporate customers get them:
|
| win10 is plenty stable....

Which Win10 are you referring to?

the one from microsoft.

The one Bill W
had before the update, or the unusable version
he had after the update?

it was unusable for a day only because two updates occurred at the same
time.

that problem was *fixed*.

Or maybe you're referring
to the pre-anniversay update version? Or some
other version? Maybe next week's version? Win10
is a moving target. It's unstable by definition.

you don't use windows 10 so you're not in a position to comment. you
still use windows xp for reasons that defy logic which means you can't
even run the apps bill runs.

the reality is that win10 is stable, not a moving target, and that
you're incredibly misinformed.

There's no sense trying to explain it all over again,
especially to someone who doesn't even use Windows.
Anyone who's curious can read my link.

i use multiple systems depending on the task, including windows 10,
which is by far, the most usable version of windows microsoft has ever
released. it's way the **** better than windows xp that you (still)
use.
Old September 28th 16, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Savageduck wrote:
The passport thing I have handled with Mobile Passport, and I have
copies of those two pages in a protected Dropbox folder.
Mobile Passport is great, as in quite a few US Port of Entry airports
you can by-pass the normal ICE check line with a smartphone CBP receipt
and a barcode. Fortunately SFO is one of those airports.
http://mobilepassport.us

Savageduck

Thanks fr the Mobile Passport tip. Are the data in that app secure? I go
from JFK to LAX once or twice per year,and they are both terrible
airports. This app sounds as if it could really save some time at the
airpots.

Mort Linder
Old September 28th 16, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Nathan Hale" wrote

| I would never give them permission to take remote control of my
| system. A company requested that a few months ago and the tech was
| shocked that I refused. He had to talk me through things. They were
| simple procedures, and not at all something that required such a
| horrendous breach of security.

Indeed. It's nuts. Here's just one easily
found example:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../ms15-067.aspx

But it's the way most tech support people
work now. It saves on housecalls. And it
saves on the hairpulling that results when trying
to walk people through repairs over the phone.

The general public is gradually getting accustomed
to having locked down shopping devices that they
have little control over and little access to. Remote
Desktop-type functionality is likely to become far
more common. In a way, that's what Win10 is.
Microsoft have locked you out of the system and
they fiddle with it at will. I guess the only difference
is that their idea of a fix may not be yours.

Old September 28th 16, 03:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mort wrote:

Savageduck wrote:
The passport thing I have handled with Mobile Passport, and I have
copies of those two pages in a protected Dropbox folder.
Mobile Passport is great, as in quite a few US Port of Entry airports
you can by-pass the normal ICE check line with a smartphone CBP receipt
and a barcode. Fortunately SFO is one of those airports.
http://mobilepassport.us

Thanks fr the Mobile Passport tip. Are the data in that app secure? I go
from JFK to LAX once or twice per year,and they are both terrible
airports. This app sounds as if it could really save some time at the
airpots.

you don't need a passport to go between jfk-lax.

if you want to minimize waiting in lines and also skip the undressing
at security, sign up for tsa pre, and if you do any international
travel, get global entry (which includes pre).
Old September 28th 16, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Bill W wrote:

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 18:51:12 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Monday, 26 September 2016 21:26:12 UTC-4, Bill W wrote:
So I tried to do the Adobe updates last night - I just clicked "update
all", and went to bed. At the same time, MS decided to install the
latest and greatest update to Win 10. I woke up this morning, and my
PC was completely munged. Simply unusable. I determined that it was
not an Adobe issue, so I called MS, and... wait for it... they
actually got it fixed! None of this reinstall Windows crap, or any
other all-day headaches. They remoted in, and just fixed it in
minutes. And I could even understand the tech!

It's a miracle.

First time I've heard someone thank someone for screwing them up then fixing
them. It's the computer version of the Helsinki Syndrome.

Stockholm?...

No... The MS sent a finish looking dude with a finish sounding name from
Canada to Espoo/Helsinki to make the then worlds largest smartphone
outfit to shrink into non existence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espoo
--
teleportation kills
Old September 28th 16, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

wrote:

On Monday, 26 September 2016 21:26:12 UTC-4, Bill W wrote:
So I tried to do the Adobe updates last night - I just clicked "update
all", and went to bed. At the same time, MS decided to install the
latest and greatest update to Win 10. I woke up this morning, and my
PC was completely munged. Simply unusable. I determined that it was
not an Adobe issue, so I called MS, and... wait for it... they
actually got it fixed! None of this reinstall Windows crap, or any
other all-day headaches. They remoted in, and just fixed it in
minutes. And I could even understand the tech!

It's a miracle.

First time I've heard someone thank someone for screwing them up then
fixing them. It's the computer version of the Helsinki Syndrome.

Stockholm?...

Unless you were kidnapped and held in a sauna.

They think that whipping is a good thing...
--
teleportation kills
Old September 28th 16, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,

wrote:

On Monday, 26 September 2016 21:26:12 UTC-4, Bill W wrote:
So I tried to do the Adobe updates last night - I just clicked "update
all", and went to bed. At the same time, MS decided to install the
latest and greatest update to Win 10. I woke up this morning, and my
PC was completely munged. Simply unusable. I determined that it was
not an Adobe issue, so I called MS, and... wait for it... they
actually got it fixed! None of this reinstall Windows crap, or any
other all-day headaches. They remoted in, and just fixed it in
minutes. And I could even understand the tech!

It's a miracle.

First time I've heard someone thank someone for screwing them up then
fixing them. It's the computer version of the Helsinki Syndrome.

Stockholm?...

Unless you were kidnapped and held in a sauna.

Okay, that one went over my head. On top of that, now I see that
Helsinki and Stockholm are used interchangeably. I'm floundering.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Stockholm+syndrome
--
teleportation kills
Old September 28th 16, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

wrote:

[...]

Edit I should have addedd that the "Helsinki Syndrome" should not be
confused with the "China Syndrome"! Close thou...
--
teleportation kills
Old September 28th 16, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-09-28 14:51:22 +0000, Mort said:

Savageduck wrote:
The passport thing I have handled with Mobile Passport, and I have
copies of those two pages in a protected Dropbox folder.
Mobile Passport is great, as in quite a few US Port of Entry airports
you can by-pass the normal ICE check line with a smartphone CBP receipt
and a barcode. Fortunately SFO is one of those airports.
http://mobilepassport.us

Savageduck

Thanks fr the Mobile Passport tip. Are the data in that app secure? I
go from JFK to LAX once or twice per year,and they are both terrible
airports. This app sounds as if it could really save some time at the
airpots.

Mort Linder

....but for that cross country flight you don't need your passport.

Mobile Passport is for US Citizens returning to the U.S., so the time
saving is with dealing with customs and immigration.
Your passport is registered in the system by scanning the code on the
bottom of the data page of the physical PP, and the data is encrypted
at both ends.
Then instead of filling out the paper customs declaration, you do it
with the Mobile Passport app on your phone and that is linked to the
specific U.S. entry. You end up by-passing the regular CBP line, hence
the time saving.

If you are a frequent flyer there is also the "TSA Pre" program which
costs $85.
https://www.tsa.gov/precheck

Savageduck