Microphotography

Old February 6th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Microphotography

I am looking for a DSLR which has a mirror lock up. I want to reduce
vibration when using the body with a microscope or telescope.

For the same reason, the metering must be shutter priority and this must
function with only a T2 mount in place to connect the microscope /
telescope to the body.

Any suggestions please?

Robert
Old February 6th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Robert" wrote in message
o.uk...
I am looking for a DSLR which has a mirror lock up. I want to reduce
vibration when using the body with a microscope or telescope.

For the same reason, the metering must be shutter priority and this must
function with only a T2 mount in place to connect the microscope /
telescope to the body.

Any suggestions please?

With shutter-priority, you're asking the camera to adjust the lens aperture
to get the right exposure. But you have no aperture connected to the camera
directly or indirectly to be adjusted.

Perhaps you mean aperture-priority where the camera assumes that the lens is
already set and it chooses the correct shutter speed?

Norm

Old February 6th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Robert wrote:
I am looking for a DSLR which has a mirror lock up. I want to reduce
vibration when using the body with a microscope or telescope.

For the same reason, the metering must be shutter priority and this must
function with only a T2 mount in place to connect the microscope /
telescope to the body.

Any suggestions please?

Robert

The 20D has a neat mirror lock up feature where if you use it with the
timer it will lock the mirror up on the shutter push wait 3 seconds and
then take the photo. If you don't use the timer it will lock the
mirror on on the first push and the take the photo on the second push.

Scott

Old February 6th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Olympus E-500. It is new, costs aboutg $699 with the kit lens.

Old February 7th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Robert" wrote in message
o.uk...
I am looking for a DSLR which has a mirror lock up. I want to reduce
vibration when using the body with a microscope or telescope.

For the same reason, the metering must be shutter priority and this must
function with only a T2 mount in place to connect the microscope /
telescope to the body.

Any suggestions please?

I just bought a Nikon D200 which meters excellently with all sorts of weird
manual lenses, bellows, etc. I am using some extreme Olympus micro lenses
with RMS mounts on bellows, which is basically the same as microphotography,
and it works great--plus mirror lockup. For telescopes, however, you
probably want excellent high ISO performance--go with the full frame Canon
5D for that (but it is expensive).

Toby

Old February 7th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

In article , Toby
writes

"Robert" wrote in message
. co.uk...
I am looking for a DSLR which has a mirror lock up. I want to reduce
vibration when using the body with a microscope or telescope.

For the same reason, the metering must be shutter priority and this must
function with only a T2 mount in place to connect the microscope /
telescope to the body.

Any suggestions please?

I just bought a Nikon D200 which meters excellently with all sorts of weird
manual lenses, bellows, etc.

Glad to know Nikon have improved this - what I said yesterday related to
the D100/D70 series, which my Nikon-using friend had problems with.

I am using some extreme Olympus micro lenses
with RMS mounts on bellows, which is basically the same as microphotography,

photomicrography!

and it works great--plus mirror lockup. For telescopes, however, you
probably want excellent high ISO performance--go with the full frame Canon
5D for that (but it is expensive).

Toby

David
--
David Littlewood
Old February 7th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"David Littlewood" wrote in message
Norm Dresner writes
"Robert" wrote in message
. co.uk...
I am looking for a DSLR which has a mirror lock up. I want to reduce
vibration when using the body with a microscope or telescope.

For the same reason, the metering must be shutter priority and this
must function with only a T2 mount in place to connect the microscope
/ telescope to the body.

Any suggestions please?

With shutter-priority, you're asking the camera to adjust the lens
aperture to get the right exposure. But you have no aperture connected
to the camera directly or indirectly to be adjusted.

Perhaps you mean aperture-priority where the camera assumes that the
lens is already set and it chooses the correct shutter speed?

Norm

Norm is right. Also, be aware that some DSLRs are less happy to meter
without a "proper" lens in place. My EOS 10D does just fine, as do other
EOS models, but I know others who use Nikons and they say it is less
satisfactory - there is a workaround, but it's more fiddly.

I don't believe that's the case with any Nikon DSLRs that have mirror
lockup, or with the new D200.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old February 7th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
. ..
"David Littlewood" wrote in message
Norm Dresner writes
"Robert" wrote in message
. co.uk...
[...]

The D50 and D70 cannot meter without a CPU lens. You're restricted to using
M-mode with these cameras. The D200 finally removed this restriction.
"Pro" Film bodies like the N90, F100, F5 & F6 also allow A-mode metering
with any lens but the Mass-Market cameras like the N75 and it's cousins are
as incapable as the D50/D70 in this regard.

Norm

Old February 7th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
"Matt Clara" wrote in message
. ..
"David Littlewood" wrote in message
Norm Dresner writes
"Robert" wrote in message
. co.uk...
[...]

Yes, that's what I said--the D70/D50 don't have mirror lockup, while the pro
line, D1 D1x, etc., do.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com