Epson Stylus Photo R200, Missing USB cable?

Old February 28th 05, 01:06 AM

Default Epson Stylus Photo R200, Missing USB cable?

I just started setting up my Epson Stylus Photo R200 photo printer, and
I got to step 4 when it says: "connect to printer." I need the USB
cable to connect the printer to the computer, but it was not included
in the box. On the list of items in the box that they said to unpack,
they list: printer, software CD-ROM, printer basics booklet, power
cord, small CD insert, CD/DVD tray, CD position check disk, and ink
cartridges.

Is this USB cable supposed to be included? Or do I have to buy it
separately? In the diagram, the USB cable is the normal shape on one
side, and on the other it is square. Where is this missing cable?!?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

-Colleen

Old February 28th 05, 01:24 AM
Harvey

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just started setting up my Epson Stylus Photo R200 photo printer, and
I got to step 4 when it says: "connect to printer." I need the USB
cable to connect the printer to the computer, but it was not included
in the box. On the list of items in the box that they said to unpack,
they list: printer, software CD-ROM, printer basics booklet, power
cord, small CD insert, CD/DVD tray, CD position check disk, and ink
cartridges.

Is this USB cable supposed to be included? Or do I have to buy it
separately? In the diagram, the USB cable is the normal shape on one
side, and on the other it is square. Where is this missing cable?!?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

-Colleen

You have to buy one. Printer manufacturers save a fortune by not including
one in the box (or so they'd have you believe).

What you want is known as a USB A to B cable, with plugs like these
http://www.lastar.net/images_lastar/...ages/13172.jpg. The A part is
the rectangular plug that goes in your PC, the B is the square plug that
goes in the back of the printer.

Old February 28th 05, 01:25 AM
Sheldon

Wouldn't it be the same cable you use to transfer images from your camera to
a computer (USB)? So many people use a card reader they forget that you can
transfer directly from the camera with the supplied cable.

oups.com...

Old February 28th 05, 06:03 AM
Mark²

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just started setting up my Epson Stylus Photo R200 photo printer, and
I got to step 4 when it says: "connect to printer." I need the USB
cable to connect the printer to the computer, but it was not included
in the box. On the list of items in the box that they said to unpack,
they list: printer, software CD-ROM, printer basics booklet, power
cord, small CD insert, CD/DVD tray, CD position check disk, and ink
cartridges.

Is this USB cable supposed to be included? Or do I have to buy it
separately? In the diagram, the USB cable is the normal shape on one
side, and on the other it is square. Where is this missing cable?!?

They appear to be returning to the old and similar tendency to NOT include Parallel cables
with printers. Most of us have half a dozen or more USB cables collecting dust from the
various readers, and other devices that include them without purpose.

I've probably got 15 of those things lying around my office...

Old February 28th 05, 02:36 PM
wire 54

"Mark²" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The reason that they don't include them is to allow those retailers selling
printers at a low profit margin to recoup
by selling USB cables at great profit !. So you go to buy a printer, look
round and my store may not have the best
price but hey, I will discount the USB cable from £9.95 to £1.00 to you as a
valued customer. You get a good deal
and so do I as the USB cable only cost me £0.50 anyway.

But then if I sell the USB cable at full price I will probably make more
actual profit on that than on the printer.

Sad but true, I ran such a shop.