AF Cpu

Old February 1st 05, 06:17 AM
William Graham

"Joyce" wrote in message
om...
I just finished reading about the AF System and how it works. I was
wondering what are the main functionalities in the AF Cpu?? Where is
all of this phase detection, phase shifting and all the comparisons of
sensors located inside the AF cpu?? Also, how does the AF CPU work
with the main CPU of the camera. How to they work together??

-Joyce

I don't know how the other manufacturers do it, but Nikon has the camera
body focus the lens through a mechanical linkage. So the only difference
between the new lenses and the old, is that the lens has this
capability....That it's focus can be adjusted from a screw fitting just
inside the lens mount. The body does all the fancy computer/sensing work,
and just turns the little screwdriver that moves the elements in the lens.
When you install a non-autofocus lens, the camera senses this, (or you can
turn the auto-focus off) and just lets you do all the focussing work by
hand-eye coordination, and doesn't bother to turn the little driver.....

Old February 1st 05, 07:24 PM
William Graham

"me" wrote in message
"Joyce" wrote in message
om...
I just finished reading about the AF System and how it works. I was
wondering what are the main functionalities in the AF Cpu?? Where is
all of this phase detection, phase shifting and all the comparisons of
sensors located inside the AF cpu?? Also, how does the AF CPU work
with the main CPU of the camera. How to they work together??

-Joyce

Who cares? Go ask the chip manufacturer. That information will not improve
your photography or advance your understanding of how to use your camera.
Are you a student looking for info or just trolling?

Before AF was invented a computer known as the human brain gathered data
from sensors known as eyes and formed a closed feedback loop with the
thumb
and fore finger acting as mechanical servos to twist the focus ring in
either direction until perfect focus was achieved.

It amazes me how engineers can find new ways to complicate what are
otherwise perfectly simple and elegant processes often for no more reason
than to justify their existence.
Film best,
me

You're kidding. Right? - So, when we take pictures of the surface of Mars,
it's going to cost us 100 times as much money, because you will insist that
we send some ASCAP photographer up there to focus the camera? - Come on! -
Get real. Do you have any idea what kind of a world we would be living in
were it not for engineers? I'll give you a hint....Your biggest problem
today would be getting the fire restarted at the entrance of the cave to
keep the tigers out......

Old February 1st 05, 09:57 PM
William Graham

"me" wrote in message
"William Graham" wrote in message
"me" wrote in message
"Joyce" wrote in message
[...]

Your scenarios are silly, seek help. And who said we didn't need
engineers?
Wouldn't it be nice if they had a better grasp of the kiss principal?
Consider that no two microwave ovens can be set by the same method or that
most people never determine how to set their VCR or use their software
fully, etc etc etc. How many more examples of over/under/poor engineering
would you like?
Film best,
me

I agree that many things are poorly designed, but if it bothers you that
much, why don't you become a designer yourself? It is possible to regulate
the design of almost any item, and there are mil-spec standards that do
this, but the down side is that some really great innovations are
lost/discouraged when too many manufacturers conform to those regulations.
In the long run, the world is a better place, and the engineering
advancements proliferate when everybody does, "their own thing". If Honda
had built all his engines to some regulated specification, the automotive
engine designs today would be set back by at least ten years.

Old February 2nd 05, 12:52 AM
William Graham

"me" wrote in message
"Joyce" wrote in message
[...]

I have done design for myself, however I never make a change unless I'm
certain it's an improvement.

It is possible to regulate
the design of almost any item, and there are mil-spec standards that do
this, but the down side is that some really great innovations are
lost/discouraged when too many manufacturers conform to those
regulations.
In the long run, the world is a better place, and the engineering
advancements proliferate when everybody does, "their own thing". If Honda
had built all his engines to some regulated specification, the automotive
engine designs today would be set back by at least ten years.

Are you just happy I'm talking to you or what? Do you condemn the dewey
decimal system, zip codes, area codes or a spoon as rigidly standardized?
When I step on the brake pedal I don't want some engineer doing his thing
and getting me killed because he decided it should be the accelerator. In
future use better logic or this conversation is over.
Sign,
me

I am only too happy to terminate the conversation....I'm sorry to have
interfered with your train of thought, but getting back to the original
question, I must confess that I seldom use the auto focus feature on my
camera, since most of my lenses are manual focus types, however the little
green led that tells me that the camera thinks it is in focus is sometimes
helpful, so I am glad I paid the extra money for the auto focus feature.

Old February 2nd 05, 02:25 PM
Matt Clara

"Joyce" wrote in message
om...
I just finished reading about the AF System and how it works. I was
wondering what are the main functionalities in the AF Cpu?? Where is
all of this phase detection, phase shifting and all the comparisons of
sensors located inside the AF cpu?? Also, how does the AF CPU work
with the main CPU of the camera. How to they work together??

-Joyce

It's in the upper right portion of the cpu, 7th layer down, third office on
the right. It works with the camera's cpu by organizing committee meetings,
deliberating over decisions that could otherwise be made instantaneously,
until finally it's a non-issue, and all the 1s and 0s at the meeting can
wipe their collective brows and breath a sigh of relief...

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old February 2nd 05, 02:34 PM
Eric Miller

Yeah, you are right. There is no good reason for autofocus and anyone who
uses it ought to be shot.

Same for electricity.

Eric Miller

Old February 2nd 05, 03:32 PM
me

"Eric Miller" wrote in message
news
"me" wrote in message
"Joyce" wrote in message
[...]

A gross generalization and in no way related to my post, unless of course
you're an engineer.
Film best,
me

PS: The OP was non sequitur as evidenced by the other replies to OP. You
lost in the last debate about what was/is OT too.

Old February 2nd 05, 03:49 PM
Eric Miller

"me" wrote in message
"Joyce" wrote in message
[...]

Just agreeing with your assertion that AF was a new way, developed by
engineers, to complicate an otherwise perfectly simple and elegant process
for the sole purpose of justifying their existence.

Same for electricity.

Eric Miller (not an engineer)