iso200 options, et. al.

Old February 26th 04, 08:42 PM
Collin Brendemuehl

Default iso200 options, et. al.

The Bergger & FortePan are the only two sheet films I've seen that
rate ISO200. But the Bergger definitely performs better with .5 or
1 stop extra, making it much less than 200.

How is the FortePan WRT its iso200 rating?

Are there any other iso200 8x10 options? (I saw some TMax 400 work
and didn't like the highlight loss.)

(Now a bit of rambling, looking for the best direction to take this
hobby.)

Or should I be looking at processing options?

This gets to the basic issue, doesn't it: I want to see shadow
detail,
clean contrast in the mid tones, and visible highlight details.
But no film is perfect. And no chemistry perfectly matched to give
this.

In the past I've been satisfied with a good exposure, with 135-format
Plus-X and 120 Acros giving very pleasing images. But every time I
try
a larger format the differences show themselves and I need to make
more
choices.

Right now with 4x5 & 8x10 I concentrate on getting a pleasing mid-grey
result. I scan the shoft shadow areas using a Spotmeter V, pick the
rough average, and then lose 1/2 stop. Works pretty well overall.
Amateurish, yes, but it seems to do the job.

Is that why I should get a densitometer & learn the zone system?

Collin
Old February 26th 04, 10:20 PM
Largformat

Subject: iso200 options, et. al.
From: (Collin Brendemuehl)
Date: 2/26/2004 1:42 PM Mountain Standard Time
[...]

How about HP5+. It will rate around 320. The new version of Tri-X is probably
200-250.

steve simmons
Old February 27th 04, 05:20 PM
sympatico.ca

How is the FortePan WRT its iso200 rating?

It rates at 200; its difficult to get the 200 as 8x10 through conventional

channels
of distribution aka your local Photo store because Omega Satter does not
order it except as a special order,...case quantity.

From what I know though J&C stocks it under the "Classic" designation.
If memory serves me well.

http://www.eightelmphoto.com/

all at crazy canuck dollar prices...