Fresnal for Deardorff

Old February 25th 04, 10:40 AM
Dave Wallis

Default Fresnal for Deardorff

Are there any Fresnal screens that will brighten the groundglass and
work well with a restored Deardorff both for 8x10 and the 4x5 reducing
back.
Old February 25th 04, 12:33 PM
Reciprocity Failure

I bought a BosScreen for mine and it worked very well. The BosScreen isn't a
true "brightening" screen but it has much the same effect because it spreads
the image evenly across the screen, eliminating the "hot spots" of a plain
ground glass. It's also easier to focus with than a Fresnel. If you end up
being the winning bidder for this camera I'd give the screen that's on it
now a try, it may work fine for you. I used three screens on my Deardorff,
the original non-Deardorff that came with the camera, a Deardorff screen I
found later, and the BosScreen. While the BosScreen was an improvement over
the other two, it wasn't like night and day better. I'm sure a Fresnel would
have brightened things more but I've always found Fresnels not so easy to
fine focus.

om...

Old February 25th 04, 12:47 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Dave Wallis wrote:
Are there any Fresnal screens that will brighten the groundglass and
work well with a restored Deardorff both for 8x10 and the 4x5 reducing
back.

I have found that with long lenses, a Fresnel is not really necessary.
The trouble is with the short lenses (e.g., 90mm on 4x5). There,
everything is great if the lens is on-axis, but if you use any shifts or
rise or fall, the illumination tends to be worse than no Fresnel at all.
So I no longer use them. Ron Wisner has easily removeable Fresnel
screens for his camerae. Since I imagine they are moulded vinyl plastic,
you could probably get one of his and cut it to fit (if necessary). You
could probably call him and ask.

/V\ Registered Machine 73926.
^^-^^ 7:40am up 49 days, 19:01, 2 users, load average: 2.02, 2.09, 2.08

Old February 26th 04, 01:41 AM
MikeWhy

"Dave Wallis" wrote in message
om...
Are there any Fresnal screens that will brighten the groundglass and
work well with a restored Deardorff both for 8x10 and the 4x5 reducing
back.

I bought a very thin, cut to size fresnel from Jeanie, J.M. Sharkey
. Apparently a photographer and a single person
garage business. I'm happy with mine. Being a newbie, though, I don't know
how well it compares to a "real" fresnel. It brightens the GG pretty evenly,
I'm guessing about two stops. She (he?) claims the thickness is 0.016", but
I didn't mic it. On the two test shots I made specifically for focus shift,
it was certainly within my depth of focus, although I could have chosen a
more critical test subject. There was a single hair from my yellow lab stuck
to the side of a velvet lined case, running almost broadside to my line of
view. I just don't recall which end I focused on. Works fine enough in real
life, too.

Cost was $55 for 4x5, bought through eBay. I suspect direct private sales
are possible. I have no relationship with the seller except as a
non-disgruntled customer. If I weren't curious how a "real" factory fresnel
looks, I wouldn't hesitate in the future to buy a second one.

Old February 26th 04, 10:56 PM
Stacey

Jos. Burke wrote:

I have Maxwell Screens (Maxwell Precision Optics) on both my Deardorff
4x5 Special and my 8x10 V8. My initial purchase was to aid in focus via
his Brilliant Fresnel and gridded focus screen on my 4x5. The screen was
such an improvement over the standard orig Deardorff GG on my 4x5
(Especially with my 90 mm Fuji) that I had Bill make one for my 8x10 as
well. Brightness is not the only benefit as the image is rather much finer
on his screen as opposed to the orig acid etched GG. A real pleasure to
use and absolutely no "I wish I Had's!" on my part!!

I've been tempted to try one of his screens on my 4X5, used them on
medformat cameras and they are amazing.
--

Stacey