Care for Some Gum?

Old October 16th 17, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_7_]

Default Care for Some Gum?

On 10/15/2017 5:35 PM, Ken Hart wrote:
On 10/15/2017 05:17 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 15, 2017, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Oct 15, 2017, Ron C wrote
(in ):

On 10/12/2017 1:37 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 11, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 2017-10-11 05:14:31 +0000, Savageduck
Â* said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnpt7op5dhq5ecy/DSCF5900.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qalqaj4u4ckopx/DSCF5897.jpg
https://www.dropbox-UNINTENDED DUPLICATE.jpg

Oops! I did one twice. Here is number 3.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhaigx8l9hcqpin/DSCF5894.jpg

Now that's my type of image.

I thought you might like the concept.;-)

I find there is a Pollock feel to them with the random
application/placing
and mix of color.
Bravely daring to continue the thread .. I believe the work and the
photos
there of represent a subset of pointillism. I might go farther and
call the
subset textured chaotic pointillism. ;-)
I also suspect much of the impact of this vast gum sculpture doesn't
translate well to a photo, much (as I've heard) the full impact of
Pollock #2
doesn't get captured by photos. I will say that Savageduck #2 [wink]
captures some of that vastness. :-)

;-)

Here is a section of Pollock #2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/07nar87vykgn05r/DSC_0547C2.jpg

...and a section of said SD #2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dyhqjvsm1o0v8xu/DSCF5897C1.jpg

I think SD #2 is Pollock by way of Monet.
I looked up Pollock #2, and while I never saw it in person, to me it's
just paint spatters. It would be a nice way to break up a big expanse of
a plain wall, but I don't see the "excitement" in it. (I may not know
art, but I know what I like!)
I think SD #2 falls short when you can't see the texture of it. Or
experience the bio-hazard.

There is a lot of art that does not translate into photographs. One
example that I feel strongly about is the Baptistry Doors, in Florence.
I had looked at tons of photos of them, and could never understand what
the big deal was. I was fortunate enough to see the originals on a trip
to Florence. I stood looking at them for quite a while, while feeling
emotional. No photographic reproduction has even come close to evoking a
spiritual feeling.

--
PeterN

On 2017-10-11 05:14:31 +0000, Savageduck

...and a section of said SD #2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dyhqjvsm1o0v8xu/DSCF5897C1.jpg

There is a structure to the Pollock and a randomness to the gum
chewing. You can't properly compare the two.

Eric Stevens

On 2017-10-11 05:14:31 +0000, Savageduck

...and a section of said SD #2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dyhqjvsm1o0v8xu/DSCF5897C1.jpg

There is a structure to the Pollock and a randomness to the gum
chewing. You can't properly compare the two.

I believe that if you check the thread, that has been said all along.
However, as I said when this got started, the gum wall evoked a Pollock FEEL,
not that they were in any way equivalent, in style, or execution. Pollock’s
work has a sense of deliberation in its application, and is of course a solo
work. The gum wall is the result of the random application of gum, by what
could be thousands of somewhat brewed up students, over years of
pre-application preparatory mastication. In the end, they are nothing alike.

Savageduck

Old October 20th 17, 05:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Ron C

Default Reason for an image, was ( Care for Some Gum?)

On 10/13/2017 6:34 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 10/13/2017 12:38 PM, Ron C wrote:
On 10/13/2017 10:35 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 10/12/2017 11:38 PM, Ron C wrote:

snip

Ah well, continuing the hijacked thread ..

I changed the subject line. ;-)

**if we're into creating a
feeling, here's
one I created way back in 1969, long before Photoshop.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjyxuv7h1x...Fire%2001b.jpg

I was looking to create a feeling of drama and loss.

The twist here is that the fire was that night but the photo was
taken the morning after
the fire.

I like your vision. If the image conveys that feeling to you, from my
POV, that is the most important element. Candidly, I am not certain
that the line drawing technique used, conveyed that feeling to me.

Yes, it's a YMMV thing as always with these things.

As an aside: I was studying EE at the time and had just learned about
using Kodalith for making printed circuit boards and started
experimenting
with it for photographic effects.
I'll have to dig up the original negative for comparison.

When I had my wet darkroom I used expired X-ray film for posterizatons,
and would print through Vaseline covered glass, to simulate brush
strokes. It would take hours to put brush strokes on the Vaseline, while
tracing the projected image. I still do that using Corel Painter, but I
often cheat and use the automated painting feature, and just touch up
manually.

~
Here's what I did for my end of summer twitter header.
Intended to evoke the feeling of things closing down.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9repn6y0t...r-Summer-1.jpg

Kewl. It's precisely what I was talking about when I implied that photo
art need not be realistic.

~~
And for the heck of it, some artistic variations on forget-me-nots:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qo5pvh2fyo...%20%28C%29.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/41wvvg1vw9...%20%28D%29.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xot9b5spj7...%20%28E%29.jpg

I like the last one best. The subject is the flower grouping. To my eye
in the first two images, the green stalk and leaves on the left keep
drawing my eyes away from the flowers, because they are much brighter.

For what little it's worth:
Summer's gone .. here's my current Halloween twitter header:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/89qs7etjg5...20%233A%20.jpg
--
==
Later...

Old October 20th 17, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/20/2017 12:30 AM, Ron C wrote:

snip

For what little it's worth:
Summer's gone .. here's my current Halloween twitter header:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/89qs7etjg5...20%233A%20.jpg

Very imaginative and well executed. I like it. Fits Halloween perfectly.

--
PeterN

Old October 20th 17, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Ron C

On 10/20/2017 10:47 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 10/20/2017 12:30 AM, Ron C wrote:

snip

For what little it's worth:
Summer's gone .. here's my current Halloween twitter header:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/89qs7etjg5...20%233A%20.jpg

Very imaginative and well executed. I like it. Fits Halloween perfectly.

Thanks. Thought you might like it.
--
==
Later...

Old October 20th 17, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Ron C

On 10/20/2017 1:07 PM, David_B wrote:
On 20-Oct-17 3:47 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 10/20/2017 12:30 AM, Ron C wrote:

snip

For what little it's worth:
Summer's gone .. here's my current Halloween twitter header:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/89qs7etjg5...20%233A%20.jpg

Very imaginative and well executed. I like it. Fits Halloween perfectly.

+1

IAWTP* :-)
Wow, unusual to get likes for creative stuff in this group. :-)

Thanks.
--
==
Later...

Old October 21st 17, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/20/2017 1:48 PM, Ron C wrote:
On 10/20/2017 10:47 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 10/20/2017 12:30 AM, Ron C wrote:

snip

For what little it's worth:
Summer's gone .. here's my current Halloween twitter header:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/89qs7etjg5...20%233A%20.jpg

Very imaginative and well executed. I like it. Fits Halloween perfectly.

Thanks. Thought you might like it.

As I've said before, what matters is if you like it. If you have a
vision, and execute it to your satisfaction, that's what it is all about.

--
PeterN
Old October 21st 17, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Ron C

On 10/20/2017 7:37 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 10/20/2017 1:48 PM, Ron C wrote:
On 10/20/2017 10:47 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 10/20/2017 12:30 AM, Ron C wrote:

snip

For what little it's worth:
Summer's gone .. here's my current Halloween twitter header:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/89qs7etjg5...20%233A%20.jpg

Very imaginative and well executed. I like it. Fits Halloween perfectly.

Thanks. Thought you might like it.

As I've said before, what matters is if you like it. If you have a
vision, and execute it to your satisfaction, that's what it is all about.

I get that, but in a way it feels a bit too self centered.

When I mixed live sound I always did it to enhance the
audience experience. At the end of the night I had the
satisfaction that I had served well. Audience response
allowed me to evaluate my tweaks.

When on stage acting it was never about me, but
about connecting.
~~
That said, my neighbor sent me an odd shot of my cat taken
with her phone. I gave it a rather extreme artistic work-over.

I'm not sure if I'm seeking an audience or adapting to the
one at hand. Anyway, I'll throw it out for an audience response:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qp19vpusxq...ykat-3B%27.jpg

--
==
Later...