How do you post things on Instagramr without losing one's copyright?

Old October 10th 17, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default How do you post things on Instagramr without losing one'scopyright?

On 10/9/2017 2:13 PM, micky wrote:
How do you post things to Instagram, Imgur, or Flickr without losing
one's copyright?

I don't know that anything I have is worth anything financially but I do
want the credit. My name or my father's name accompanying every
properly used use of the photo.

Right now, two things are on the horizon. I'm transcribing my father's
trip diary from a trip he took in 1936, and I'm scanning the photos he
took on the trip.

I'm his only surviving heir. And my mother left everything he left her
to me. Does that mean I myself have any rights regarding these things?

Even if I have no rights to the pictures, since no one can get into my
house and copy them, I have the vague idea that I'd have rights to the
scanned copy I plan to make of them, for posting online, and that those
rights would last as long and be as strong as if I'd taken the pictures
myself. Am I right at all?

And how do I post these pictures and the separate text to Instagram,
Imgur, or Flickr without losing my copyrights?

Thanks

You are asking for free legal advice. Unless you are prepared to lose a
legal battle, you should not rely on any advice you get here, unless the
person giving you the advice is qualified.

--
PeterN
Old October 10th 17, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/9/2017 4:51 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 13:19:54 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Oct 9, 2017, micky wrote
(in ):

How do you post things to Instagram, Imgur, or Flickr without losing
one's copyright?

I seriously doubt that you will have much protection if you use Instagram, or
Imgur regardless of what might be stated in their terms of service. Using
ether of those and you are effectively surrendering any rights you might
hold.

https://help.instagram.com/478745558852511

https://imgur.com/tos

Flickr, and other sites such as Smugmug probably afford you better protection
of your rights, but that does not mean that they will not be vulnerable to
image poachers.

https://www.flickr.com/services/api/tos/

The protection in SmugMug is up to the user. When I create a gallery
I check off a number of preferences in "Settings". One of them is in
"Photo Protection" and it allows me to enable or disable "Downloads".

While I allow downloads, I'm under no illusion that disabling
downloads would totally prevent anyone from grabbing my photo. I
don't watermark or add a copyright text line to my photographs,
either.

If some stranger wants to appropriate one of my photos, I don't give a
rat's ass. If he can't do better than I can on my own, he needs all
the help he can get.

There seems to be some inverse ratio of capability of the photographer
and paranoia of the photographer about having his/her photographs
snatched. The people who are most concerned about their photos being
stolen often post photographs that no one would want to steal.

It's different with the pros, though. The above is about the hobby
photographer who thinks his shot of the family cat will be hijacked.

I've been a long-time user of SmugMug and will continue to renew.

That's a personal decision. I don't like the idea of anybody using my
work, without my permission. I have some prints hanging in a local
library. Just last week I had an inquiry about purchasing one of the
images. I am flattered, but not certain I want to sell. I checked the
email of the person who asked, and saw she is an officer of a not for
profit organization. I will donate the print, including the frame,
provided she exhibits it in her organization. I don't care if she puts
my name on it or not.

--
PeterN
Old October 10th 17, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/9/2017 2:44 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , android
wrote:

And how do I post these pictures and the separate text to Instagram,
Imgur, or Flickr without losing my copyrights?

In real life terms you can't:

yes you can.

Do a lot of reading about abandonment of rights.

"Instagram does not claim ownership of any Content that you post on or
through the Service.

in other words, you retain the copyright.

Instead, you hereby grant to Instagram a
non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, transferable,
sub-licensable, worldwide license to use the Content that you post on or
through the Service, subject to the Service's Privacy Policy"

license != lose copyright.

--
PeterN
Old October 10th 17, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

so step up to the plate and advise him what to do.
Old October 10th 17, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 9, 2017, RichA wrote
(in ):

How about posting on Istagram and losing one's dignity?

;-)

Savageduck

Old October 10th 17, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
micky

In rec.photo.digital, on Mon, 9 Oct 2017 16:20:48 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

How about posting on Istagram and losing one's dignity?

What I heard asbout Instagram is that you could put a separate caption
on each picture. I would use that to say a little bit about what the
picture was, where it was taken. Maybe the very words my father put
under the picture, and maybe a little more.

(But it's complicated installation procedure, and that it probably wont'
even run on XP (which is all I had with me on my trip) intimidated me.)

Do Flickr or Smugmug allow individual captions?

I got the impression that some sites don't allow captions at all?

I'll check it out myself of course but this all takes so much time.
Old October 10th 17, 02:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
micky

In rec.photo.digital, on Mon, 09 Oct 2017 13:19:54 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Oct 9, 2017, micky wrote
(in ):

How do you post things to Instagram, Imgur, or Flickr without losing
one's copyright?

I seriously doubt that you will have much protection if you use Instagram, or
Imgur regardless of what might be stated in their terms of service. Using
ether of those and you are effectively surrendering any rights you might
hold.

https://help.instagram.com/478745558852511

https://imgur.com/tos

Flickr, and other sites such as Smugmug probably afford you better protection
of your rights, but that does not mean that they will not be vulnerable to
image poachers.

https://www.flickr.com/services/api/tos/

I would use Flickr, or Smugmug exclusively.
Remember that you have added an additional level of intellectual rights by
making digital scans of analog images in which you have inherited rights.

I don't know that anything I have is worth anything financially but I do
want the credit. My name or my father's name accompanying every
properly used use of the photo.

My suggestion is to add a Creative Commons License, with you as the copyright
holder to the metadata of the scanned image files. I use a CC by-nc-sa for my
photos especially if I have shared them online. There are different types of
free CC licenses. You can find out more he
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
https://creativecommons.org/faq/

Right now, two things are on the horizon. I'm transcribing my father's
trip diary from a trip he took in 1936, and I'm scanning the photos he
took on the trip.

I'm his only surviving heir. And my mother left everything he left her
to me. Does that mean I myself have any rights regarding these things?

Yes, and your scanning of the images enhances their value, and extends your
rights with regard to those specific images.

Even if I have no rights to the pictures, since no one can get into my
house and copy them, I have the vague idea that I'd have rights to the
scanned copy I plan to make of them, for posting online, and that those
rights would last as long and be as strong as if I'd taken the pictures
myself. Am I right at all?

Yes.

And how do I post these pictures and the separate text to Instagram,
Imgur, or Flickr without losing my copyrights?

Instagram, and Imgur will do nothing to protect your rights, in fact you are
granting them a perpetual license to use your images as the see fit. Flickr
will lay no claim on your images and you will always retain full ownership.

Thanks

Thanks again, for your detailed answer, and confirming what I thought.
I have a lot more research to do.
Old October 10th 17, 02:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
micky

In rec.photo.digital, on Mon, 09 Oct 2017 16:51:25 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 13:19:54 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Oct 9, 2017, micky wrote
(in ):

[...]

By watermark, you're including both dim images and clearly-visible ones?

or add a copyright text line to my photographs,
either.

If some stranger wants to appropriate one of my photos, I don't give a
rat's ass. If he can't do better than I can on my own, he needs all
the help he can get.

As I worked on this thread, I realized that it would be great if any of
them got recirculated, and all I want is my father's name or mine, the
month, and the year in a corner of the picture. Which is the best
corner?=

These are not valuable pictures, I don't think, and I certainly don't
expect any money. I photocopied them and in 1990, one or two people
told me I should take them to a guy who publishes picture books of old
pictures. So I called him and he invited me over, but 1936 was not old
enough for him. He wanted more 1800's.

There seems to be some inverse ratio of capability of the photographer
and paranoia of the photographer about having his/her photographs
snatched. The people who are most concerned about their photos being
stolen often post photographs that no one would want to steal.

It's different with the pros, though. The above is about the hobby
photographer who thinks his shot of the family cat will be hijacked.

Fluffy is an outstanding cat. I can't help it if you don't see that.

I've been a long-time user of SmugMug and will continue to renew.

Old October 10th 17, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/9/2017 7:48 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

Unlike some other folk here, I understand enough about the subject, to
know that I am not an expert on copyright law.

--
PeterN
Old October 10th 17, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , micky
wrote:

What I heard asbout Instagram is that you could put a separate caption
on each picture. I would use that to say a little bit about what the
picture was, where it was taken. Maybe the very words my father put
under the picture, and maybe a little more.

(But it's complicated installation procedure, and that it probably wont'
even run on XP (which is all I had with me on my trip) intimidated me.)

Do Flickr or Smugmug allow individual captions?

I got the impression that some sites don't allow captions at all?

I'll check it out myself of course but this all takes so much time.

Yes, by all means, just do it. Don't go by what you "heard." Instagram
is designed for iPhone

Alas, I have no iPHone. My mother was an android and my father was
human so she insisted I use Android.

instagram works just fine on android.