Care for Some Gum?

Old Yesterday, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_7_]

Default Care for Some Gum?

On 10/15/2017 5:35 PM, Ken Hart wrote:
On 10/15/2017 05:17 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 15, 2017, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Oct 15, 2017, Ron C wrote
(in ):

On 10/12/2017 1:37 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 11, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 2017-10-11 05:14:31 +0000, Savageduck
¬* said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnpt7op5dhq5ecy/DSCF5900.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qalqaj4u4ckopx/DSCF5897.jpg
https://www.dropbox-UNINTENDED DUPLICATE.jpg

Oops! I did one twice. Here is number 3.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhaigx8l9hcqpin/DSCF5894.jpg

Now that's my type of image.

I thought you might like the concept.;-)

I find there is a Pollock feel to them with the random
application/placing
and mix of color.
Bravely daring to continue the thread .. I believe the work and the
photos
there of represent a subset of pointillism. I might go farther and
call the
subset textured chaotic pointillism. ;-)
I also suspect much of the impact of this vast gum sculpture doesn't
translate well to a photo, much (as I've heard) the full impact of
Pollock #2
doesn't get captured by photos. I will say that Savageduck #2 [wink]
captures some of that vastness. :-)

;-)

Here is a section of Pollock #2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/07nar87vykgn05r/DSC_0547C2.jpg

...and a section of said SD #2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dyhqjvsm1o0v8xu/DSCF5897C1.jpg

I think SD #2 is Pollock by way of Monet.
I looked up Pollock #2, and while I never saw it in person, to me it's
just paint spatters. It would be a nice way to break up a big expanse of
a plain wall, but I don't see the "excitement" in it. (I may not know
art, but I know what I like!)
I think SD #2 falls short when you can't see the texture of it. Or
experience the bio-hazard.

There is a lot of art that does not translate into photographs. One
example that I feel strongly about is the Baptistry Doors, in Florence.
I had looked at tons of photos of them, and could never understand what
the big deal was. I was fortunate enough to see the originals on a trip
to Florence. I stood looking at them for quite a while, while feeling
emotional. No photographic reproduction has even come close to evoking a
spiritual feeling.

--
PeterN

On 2017-10-11 05:14:31 +0000, Savageduck

...and a section of said SD #2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dyhqjvsm1o0v8xu/DSCF5897C1.jpg

There is a structure to the Pollock and a randomness to the gum
chewing. You can't properly compare the two.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

On 2017-10-11 05:14:31 +0000, Savageduck

...and a section of said SD #2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dyhqjvsm1o0v8xu/DSCF5897C1.jpg

There is a structure to the Pollock and a randomness to the gum
chewing. You can't properly compare the two.

I believe that if you check the thread, that has been said all along.
However, as I said when this got started, the gum wall evoked a Pollock FEEL,
not that they were in any way equivalent, in style, or execution. Pollock’s
work has a sense of deliberation in its application, and is of course a solo
work. The gum wall is the result of the random application of gum, by what
could be thousands of somewhat brewed up students, over years of
pre-application preparatory mastication. In the end, they are nothing alike.

--

Regards,
Savageduck