Face Recognition - is it useful?

Old January 8th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Tuthill

Default Face Recognition - is it useful?

There is a 15-30 minute Kodak advertisement on Youtube.com
currently going the rounds. I found it extremely boring
so I'm not going to dignify it with a URL.

One of the things the video touted was face recognition software.
Fuji has this in the F30 upgrade (can't remember model number)
so it must be in other digital cameras.

Has anybody seen, or can anyone offer, comparisons of portraits
with and without the feature enabled?

Old January 9th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message
There is a 15-30 minute Kodak advertisement on Youtube.com
currently going the rounds. I found it extremely boring
so I'm not going to dignify it with a URL.

One of the things the video touted was face recognition software.
Fuji has this in the F30 upgrade (can't remember model number)
so it must be in other digital cameras.

Has anybody seen, or can anyone offer, comparisons of portraits
with and without the feature enabled?

Hi.

It might be of some use at sometime, if it actually works.

If I was taking a portrait, I think I would be aware of that fact, and would
choose the Camera settings to produce the effect I wanted.

Roy G

Roy G

Old January 9th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
timeOday

Bill Tuthill wrote:
There is a 15-30 minute Kodak advertisement on Youtube.com
currently going the rounds. I found it extremely boring
so I'm not going to dignify it with a URL.

One of the things the video touted was face recognition software.
Fuji has this in the F30 upgrade (can't remember model number)
so it must be in other digital cameras.

Has anybody seen, or can anyone offer, comparisons of portraits
with and without the feature enabled?

Sounds good to me. Faces are the subject of many a photo, so why not
set the focal length and exposure to get them right? (Is that what they
do?) I know how to use my manual controls, but I'm not above using auto
when it suffices.
Old January 9th 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

timeOday wrote:
Bill Tuthill wrote:
There is a 15-30 minute Kodak advertisement on Youtube.com
currently going the rounds. I found it extremely boring
so I'm not going to dignify it with a URL.

One of the things the video touted was face recognition software.
Fuji has this in the F30 upgrade (can't remember model number)
so it must be in other digital cameras.

Has anybody seen, or can anyone offer, comparisons of portraits
with and without the feature enabled?

Sounds good to me. Faces are the subject of many a photo, so why not
set the focal length and exposure to get them right? (Is that what they
do?) I know how to use my manual controls, but I'm not above using auto
when it suffices.

My impression is that face recognition was more important in setting
auto focus, then exposure, but I doubt it zooms the damn lens.
--
John McWilliams
Old January 9th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Little Juice Coupe

I thought it only adjusted contrast, saturation, etc. for the best portrait
picture and otherwise had not other effect?

ljc

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 9th 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
timeOday

John McWilliams wrote:
timeOday wrote:
Bill Tuthill wrote:
There is a 15-30 minute Kodak advertisement on Youtube.com
currently going the rounds. I found it extremely boring
so I'm not going to dignify it with a URL.

One of the things the video touted was face recognition software.
Fuji has this in the F30 upgrade (can't remember model number)
so it must be in other digital cameras.

Has anybody seen, or can anyone offer, comparisons of portraits
with and without the feature enabled?

Sounds good to me. Faces are the subject of many a photo, so why not
set the focal length and exposure to get them right? (Is that what
they do?) I know how to use my manual controls, but I'm not above
using auto when it suffices.

My impression is that face recognition was more important in setting
auto focus, then exposure, but I doubt it zooms the damn lens.

My bad, I meant focal plane (not length), as in, focusing the camera.
Old January 9th 07, 05:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Little Green Eyed Dragon

In article ,
timeOday wrote:

Sounds good to me. Faces are the subject of many a photo, so why not
set the focal length and exposure to get them right? (Is that what they
do?) I know how to use my manual controls, but I'm not above using auto
when it suffices.

Hell with features like these you can let the camera go to the shot and
take the pictures by it self.

Talk about frickin lazy.

--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
Old January 9th 07, 05:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Little Green Eyed Dragon

In article , Bill Tuthill
wrote:

There is a 15-30 minute Kodak advertisement on Youtube.com
currently going the rounds. I found it extremely boring
so I'm not going to dignify it with a URL.

One of the things the video touted was face recognition software.
Fuji has this in the F30 upgrade (can't remember model number)
so it must be in other digital cameras.

Has anybody seen, or can anyone offer, comparisons of portraits
with and without the feature enabled?

Next option up butt recognition. For those pain full moments when
pulling the proper exposure out of your yazoo is more than you can
manage.

Old January 9th 07, 06:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 09:09:44 -0800, Bill Tuthill wrote
(in article ):

There is a 15-30 minute Kodak advertisement on Youtube.com
currently going the rounds. I found it extremely boring
so I'm not going to dignify it with a URL.

One of the things the video touted was face recognition software.
Fuji has this in the F30 upgrade (can't remember model number)
so it must be in other digital cameras.

Has anybody seen, or can anyone offer, comparisons of portraits
with and without the feature enabled?

Small point&shoots sometimes have this feature. It works. It is useful when
taking a picture of some scenic area or landmark and you have a person facing
the camera at one side of the picture. You know, the standard tourist photo.
The camera focuses on the face and adjusts exposure for it. Some Nikon
Coolpix cameras have it, I believe. It would be difficult, but not
impossible, to implement in a DSLR.

Old January 9th 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Russell

"Little Green Eyed Dragon" wrote in
message
Next option up butt recognition. For those pain full moments when
pulling the proper exposure out of your yazoo is more than you can
manage.

LOL - and watch it spin its wheels figuring out which end of Rush Limbaugh
is which.
--

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/