purchasing a new camera

Old March 23rd 06, 09:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.zlr

Default purchasing a new camera

Agron wrote:
I am currently looking at:
Panasonic DMC-FZ7. It has relatively good marsk in various reviews

Canon Powershot A620 also looks good
(http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona620/)

as does: Fujifilm FinePix E900 Zoom
(http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...nepixe900z.asp)

All three camera's are in the same price group and the features are
quite similar. I would like someone to give some recommendations as
the time has definitively come for me to change my aging Fuji FinePix
304 after I made over 8000 shots with it.

You might want to ask in the ZLR group:

rec.photo.digital.zlr

as that is the group for fully controllable, SLR format cameras like the
Panasonic FZ7. I'll cross-post and set follow-ups there.

I have the Panasonic FZ5 and my wife the FZ20, and we have both been
delighted with the cameras. The image stabilisation works very well
indeed, and I would never wish to have a camera without IS in the future.

David

Old March 23rd 06, 10:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

"David J Taylor"
wrote

I have the Panasonic FZ5 and my wife the FZ20, and we have both been
delighted with the cameras. The image stabilisation works very well
indeed, and I would never wish to have a camera without IS in the future.

David

Thanks,
Iknow the FZ5 was a good camera but was wondering what the FZ7 is.

Old March 23rd 06, 10:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Agron wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote

I have the Panasonic FZ5 and my wife the FZ20, and we have both been
delighted with the cameras. The image stabilisation works very well
indeed, and I would never wish to have a camera without IS in the
future. David

Thanks,
Iknow the FZ5 was a good camera but was wondering what the FZ7 is.

Good question - looking at the review I get the impression that some
things have been improved, but some of the new features (like high ISO)
haven't been well thought out. My /tentative/ view is that unless you
really need the extra megapixels or the other new features, the 5MP FZ5
may be the better value camera to get. What are the comparative prices
now?

DP Review include the paragraph:

"The FZ5 was a camera that stood out in a very crowded market by virtue of
an excellent lens, comprehensive set of photographic controls and fast,
reliable operation. And most of the issues we did have - poor movie mode,
fiddly manual exposure control, lack of external ISO control and poor
low-light screen visibility have been addressed pretty convincingly in the
FZ7."

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicFZ7/page14.asp

Cheers,
David

Old March 23rd 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:38:10 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:
Agron wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote

I have the Panasonic FZ5 and my wife the FZ20, and we have both been
delighted with the cameras. The image stabilisation works very well
indeed, and I would never wish to have a camera without IS in the
future. David

Thanks,
Iknow the FZ5 was a good camera but was wondering what the FZ7 is.

Good question - looking at the review I get the impression that some
things have been improved, but some of the new features (like high ISO)
haven't been well thought out. My /tentative/ view is that unless you
really need the extra megapixels or the other new features, the 5MP FZ5
may be the better value camera to get. What are the comparative prices
now?

I was looking at this on Amazon yesterday (a coworker was drooling over
my FZ5, and thinking of buying one) and it looks like:

FZ5: $326
FZ7: $376

with the caveat that the FZ5 was on 1-2 week backorder.

-dms
Old March 23rd 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

David J Taylor wrote:

Agron wrote:

"David J Taylor"
wrote

I have the Panasonic FZ5 and my wife the FZ20, and we have both been
delighted with the cameras. The image stabilisation works very well
indeed, and I would never wish to have a camera without IS in the
future. David

Thanks,
Iknow the FZ5 was a good camera but was wondering what the FZ7 is.

Good question - looking at the review I get the impression that some
things have been improved, but some of the new features (like high ISO)
haven't been well thought out. My /tentative/ view is that unless you
really need the extra megapixels or the other new features, the 5MP FZ5
may be the better value camera to get. What are the comparative prices
now?

Yes the new features appear worthwhile and the list price of the FZ7 is
lower than the FZ5. I have not seen any big sales prices on either
camera so I do not think there will be much of a difference. I am
planning on getting an FZ7. Based on the test reports I read the
results should be about the same and the new features (like the
joystick) should be a help. The movies mode has also improved for the
few times most will use it.

Old March 23rd 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Daniel Silevitch wrote:

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:38:10 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

Agron wrote:

"David J Taylor"
wrote

[...]

Like I said in another post, I think the new features of the FZ7 is
worth the price difference. You may not.

-dms

Old March 23rd 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:22:35 GMT, measekite wrote:

Daniel Silevitch wrote:

I was looking at this on Amazon yesterday (a coworker was drooling over
my FZ5, and thinking of buying one) and it looks like:

FZ5: $326
FZ7: $376

with the caveat that the FZ5 was on 1-2 week backorder.

Like I said in another post, I think the new features of the FZ7 is
worth the price difference. You may not.

If I were in the market for a camera right now, I'd also go with the 7.
I don't, however, think that there's enough of an improvement to warrant
selling my FZ5 and buying the newer model.

-dms
Old March 27th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Good question - looking at the review I get the impression that some
things have been improved, but some of the new features (like high ISO)
haven't been well thought out. My /tentative/ view is that unless you
really need the extra megapixels or the other new features, the 5MP FZ5
may be the better value camera to get. What are the comparative prices
now?

FZ7 has manual focus (with joystick); my understanding is that
FZ5 does not.

I was looking at this on Amazon yesterday (a coworker was drooling over
my FZ5, and thinking of buying one) and it looks like:

FZ5: $326
FZ7: $376

with the caveat that the FZ5 was on 1-2 week backorder.

Funny thing; Circuit City has been advertising the FZ7 in silver
(FZ7S) for 50-60 bucks less than in black (FZ7K).

Old March 27th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

On 26 Mar 2006 20:14:25 -0500, tjab wrote:

Good question - looking at the review I get the impression that some
things have been improved, but some of the new features (like high ISO)
haven't been well thought out. My /tentative/ view is that unless you
really need the extra megapixels or the other new features, the 5MP FZ5
may be the better value camera to get. What are the comparative prices
now?

FZ7 has manual focus (with joystick); my understanding is that
FZ5 does not.

I was looking at this on Amazon yesterday (a coworker was drooling over
my FZ5, and thinking of buying one) and it looks like:

FZ5: $326
FZ7: $376

with the caveat that the FZ5 was on 1-2 week backorder.

Funny thing; Circuit City has been advertising the FZ7 in silver
(FZ7S) for 50-60 bucks less than in black (FZ7K).

I'll bet the black is selling better overall. All of the FZ5s I've seen
in the wild (including my own) are black; I think the only silver ones
I've seen have been in reviews.

I think the black just looks better, though for 50 bucks, I might be
persuaded to change my mind.

-dms
Old March 27th 06, 09:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

tjab wrote:
[]
FZ7 has manual focus (with joystick); my understanding is that
FZ5 does not.

Correct - but to be honest the autofocus is so good that I have never
found the lack of manual focus to be a drawback.

[]
Funny thing; Circuit City has been advertising the FZ7 in silver
(FZ7S) for 50-60 bucks less than in black (FZ7K).

Funny that - I also thought the black FZ5 looked better and wanted one
over and above the silver model. Who would have thought that more people
wanting the camera made it demand a higher price? G

David