D70s or D200 ?

Old March 15th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.digital

Default D70s or D200 ?

I plan to order another camera for my collection. I'd like a D200. But it
weighs two pounds! The D70s is a half pound lighter.

What are the differences? I plan to shoot at a low resolution (I only put
pictures on the web), so the 10 MP vs 6 MP does nothing for me. I see the
70s has some modes, which the 200 doesn't have. (It assumes you're a pro
and know how to tweak every parameter yourself.) They both have the fill
flash mode, which I need for the Mermaid Parade. The difference in price is
not an issue.

The thing that could convince me the extra weight is worth it is the 200
taking better pictures on full auto using the same resolution. The press
release says the 200 has a new sensor. Is it actually better? Or just newer
technology with more pixels?

To the curious as to which lens I'm getting: the 18-200 VR, which is so
back ordered that it may not even be shipping right now.

Don www.donwiss.com/pictures/ (e-mail link at page bottoms).
Old March 15th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.digital

Per Don Wiss:
is worth it is the 200

One thing that might be relevant is the ability to stay in remote control mode.

One thing I find inconvenient about my D70s is that even though I put it into
remote control mode, the mode times out after so-and-so many minutes. I think I
heard somebody say that the 200's remote control mode persists until the user
cancels it.
--
PeteCresswell
Old March 15th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.digital

Look at the d50 if you want P&S simplicity. You could have saved a bit of $
by getting a Sigma or Tamron 18-200. I doubt the Nikon will have
significantly less barrel distortion at the very widest end of the zoom
range.

Old March 16th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.digital

The auto off of the remote control is adjustable in the D70 from 1 min to 15
min. I have mine in 15 min and I find it fine. Anyway, to set again the
remote mode is two click only.

The D200 does not have in the body an infrared sensor for the remote
control. It can be remote controlled by many different ways. The most common
is via the cable remote control. For the IR remote, it needs an extra IR
sensor.
--
Dimitris M

Old March 16th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.digital

I have the 18-200 VR and it is an excellent lens for this range. "To good to
be true". The difference in definition between this lens and the other two
(Tamron & Sigma) is impressive. I have also the D70.

The D200 is a little bit havier, but as it is a little bigger, it balances
better with this "fat" lens. Also D200 have better noise control, so you can
use it with better results in night parades
--
Dimitris M

Old March 16th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.digital

Don Wiss wrote:
I plan to order another camera for my collection. I'd like a D200. But it
weighs two pounds! The D70s is a half pound lighter.

Personally, I think the choice now is between the D50 and the D200.
Yes, the D70s has some extra features, but the consensus is that the
D50 has better picture quality.

If you are just ordering a camera for a collection, what do you care
what it weighs? If you want to take pictures, you have to decide for
yourself whether the extra resolution and features of the D200 are
worth the extra money and weight.

Old March 16th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.digital

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
[...]

It's probably not fair for me to comment on the D70, as I have a D100 and
D200. The thing that bothered me about the D70 was lack of easy control. WB,
ISO and Qual can be selected rapidly on the D100 and even more rapidly on
the D200. On the D70, I believe you have to go through the menu which is
slower and difficult (at least for me) in bright sunlight.

I don't know what modes the D70 has that the D200 doesn't, but the D200 has
4 shooting menu banks, and 4 custom setting banks. I'll bet you can create
those modes by utilizing the banks, and then some.

I like the weight, but along with it goes a rugged and weather resistant
construction. It just feels good to me, knowing that I can shoot without
worrying about pampering it.

Scott

Old March 16th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.digital

On the D70, I believe you have to go through the menu which is
slower and difficult (at least for me) in bright sunlight.

On D70 you press the WB button and with the wheel you choose the WB you
need. If you want to calibrate a custom WB (preset), then yes, you have to
go through the menu. Then you can choose it among the others with the wheel
as usual.
--
Dimitris M

Old March 16th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.digital

cjcampbell wrote:
Don Wiss wrote:
I plan to order another camera for my collection. I'd like a D200. But it
weighs two pounds! The D70s is a half pound lighter.

Personally, I think the choice now is between the D50 and the D200.
Yes, the D70s has some extra features, but the consensus is that the
D50 has better picture quality.

If you are just ordering a camera for a collection, what do you care
what it weighs? If you want to take pictures, you have to decide for
yourself whether the extra resolution and features of the D200 are
worth the extra money and weight.

Can you give us a reason why D50 has better image quality than D70s,
considering they are released at the same time?
Old March 16th 06, 09:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.digital

D50 have no better image quality than D70. D50 have more "consumer" like
image, as it includes noise reduction algorithms and process ala Canon. In
D70s, Nikon continues the same as in D70. They does not include such a
process, as they believe that is better to post process for noise. They
assume that D70 is addressed to power users (prosumers) and D50 to amateurs.

My opinion is that they have well done. Post NR is far better. In D200,
after the marketing success of 20D they have decided to include noise
reduction to, but user selectable and ajustable.

The above refers to high ISO noise reduction, not to the long exposure NR.
--
Dimitris M