Why these deep-set grips make little sense

Old March 1st 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Why these deep-set grips make little sense

Notice the hand position in this image. It illustrates why the
deep-set grips don't work well.
There is no way for the fingers to curl around the grip and have good
hand contact with the
camera. Look at the gap between the palm area and the camera body.
The hand should be
contacting the camera more fully. A partially deep grip would do a
much better job, yet
the camera makers have moved away from this, except with some P&S
cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma...n/IMG_1515.jpg

Old March 1st 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Rich" wrote in message
oups.com...
Notice the hand position in this image. It illustrates why the
deep-set grips don't work well.
There is no way for the fingers to curl around the grip and have good
hand contact with the
camera. Look at the gap between the palm area and the camera body.
The hand should be
contacting the camera more fully. A partially deep grip would do a
much better job, yet
the camera makers have moved away from this, except with some P&S
cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma...n/IMG_1515.jpg

Just change (twist) your grip so your palm is against the side of the camera
and your finger is on the shutter release.

Old March 1st 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Rich" wrote in message
oups.com...
Notice the hand position in this image. It illustrates why the
deep-set grips don't work well.
There is no way for the fingers to curl around the grip and have good
hand contact with the
camera. Look at the gap between the palm area and the camera body.
The hand should be
contacting the camera more fully. A partially deep grip would do a
much better job, yet
the camera makers have moved away from this, except with some P&S
cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma...n/IMG_1515.jpg

Nobody holds a camera like that

Old March 1st 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article .com,
Rich wrote:

Notice the hand position in this image. It illustrates why the
deep-set grips don't work well.
There is no way for the fingers to curl around the grip and have good
hand contact with the
camera. Look at the gap between the palm area and the camera body.
The hand should be
contacting the camera more fully. A partially deep grip would do a
much better job, yet
the camera makers have moved away from this, except with some P&S
cameras.

Plus, they're made out of plastic.
Old March 1st 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Rich" wrote in message
oups.com...
Notice the hand position in this image. It illustrates why the
deep-set grips don't work well.
There is no way for the fingers to curl around the grip and have good
hand contact with the
camera. Look at the gap between the palm area and the camera body.
The hand should be
contacting the camera more fully. A partially deep grip would do a
much better job, yet
the camera makers have moved away from this, except with some P&S
cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma...n/IMG_1515.jpg

You certainly do have problems, and a bad grip on the camera.

Old March 1st 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Battleax wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message
oups.com...
Notice the hand position in this image. It illustrates why the
deep-set grips don't work well.
There is no way for the fingers to curl around the grip and have good
hand contact with the
camera. Look at the gap between the palm area and the camera body.
The hand should be
contacting the camera more fully. A partially deep grip would do a
much better job, yet
the camera makers have moved away from this, except with some P&S
cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma...n/IMG_1515.jpg

Nobody holds a camera like that

Hahaha...

Old March 1st 06, 10:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Rich wrote:
Notice the hand position in this image. It illustrates why the
deep-set grips don't work well.
There is no way for the fingers to curl around the grip and have good
hand contact with the
camera. Look at the gap between the palm area and the camera body.
The hand should be
contacting the camera more fully. A partially deep grip would do a
much better job, yet
the camera makers have moved away from this, except with some P&S
cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma...n/IMG_1515.jpg

The picture is of a hand setting the camera down on a table. I don't
feel your conclusion is valid as the person using the camera would
hardly be taking a picture in that position. The deep grip you see
would contact the palm were the camera in a normal position for taking a
picture. Most P&S cameras are too small to have a grip which contacts
the palm, and are held in only the fingers, which is why I advocate
pressing the camera to the eyebrow when taking a picture to gain the
stabilizing mass of the head to prevent shake.
Old March 1st 06, 10:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
In article .com,
Rich wrote:

Notice the hand position in this image. It illustrates why the
deep-set grips don't work well.
There is no way for the fingers to curl around the grip and have good
hand contact with the
camera. Look at the gap between the palm area and the camera body.
The hand should be
contacting the camera more fully. A partially deep grip would do a
much better job, yet
the camera makers have moved away from this, except with some P&S
cameras.

Plus, they're made out of plastic.

the material out of which they are made has nothing to do with the grip,
period.
Old March 1st 06, 11:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Rich" wrote in message
oups.com...
Notice the hand position in this image. It illustrates why the
deep-set grips don't work well.
There is no way for the fingers to curl around the grip and have good
hand contact with the
camera. Look at the gap between the palm area and the camera body.
The hand should be
contacting the camera more fully. A partially deep grip would do a
much better job, yet
the camera makers have moved away from this, except with some P&S
cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma...n/IMG_1515.jpg

It was being held to take a picture OF it, not with it. I've never held my
S2 like that.

Mark

Old March 1st 06, 12:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 28 Feb 2006 19:22:52 -0800, "Rich" wrote:

Notice the hand position in this image. It illustrates why the
deep-set grips don't work well.
There is no way for the fingers to curl around the grip and have good
hand contact with the
camera. Look at the gap between the palm area and the camera body.
The hand should be
contacting the camera more fully. A partially deep grip would do a
much better job, yet
the camera makers have moved away from this, except with some P&S
cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma...n/IMG_1515.jpg

The grip on the S2 doesn't fit my hand real well either
although I hadn't thought of it before. I use both hands and the
viewfinder so any deficiencies in the ergonomics of the grip haven't
been an issue. Perhaps my method is an unconscious compensation. I
do find that with the back of the camera peppered with switches that I
accidentally hit them, particularly the menu one. Just taking a look
with camera in hand now I see that I can't hold my finger on the
shutter release with my palm fully wrapped on the grip. The bottom
corner makes a pressure point at the base of my thumb so your point is
well taken. The case might be better illustrated if the camera was
held as if ready to take a picture.

Anyway for me the left arm is tucked against the body with the
hand forming a platform and the camera resting on my nose, glasses and
forehead relieving the right hand of much of its gripping duties.

Looks like you have a pre release S3. You an "insider"? ;-)

John H