Handy tip for camera safety.

Old August 14th 05, 06:44 AM
Matt Ion

Default Handy tip for camera safety.

A lot of electronics you buy these days, including cameras, have those
little packets of silica "rocks" in them (the baggies labeled "Do not
eat") to absorb mositure in shipping and storage.

I discovered it's particularly handy to keep one each compartment of my
camera bag, especially if I have to pack it in the trunk of the car in
wet or winter weather, or when taking the camera out in the cold and
then bringing it back inside. It really helps to keep down the
condensation.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0532-6, 08/13/2005
Tested on: 8/13/2005 10:43:34 PM

Old August 14th 05, 10:23 AM
Andy Dee

Matt Ion wrote:

A lot of electronics you buy these days, including cameras, have those
little packets of silica "rocks" in them (the baggies labeled "Do not
eat") to absorb mositure in shipping and storage.

I discovered it's particularly handy to keep one each compartment of
my camera bag, especially if I have to pack it in the trunk of the car
in wet or winter weather, or when taking the camera out in the cold
and then bringing it back inside. It really helps to keep down the
condensation.

But don't forget to dry them out in a warm oven occasionally as the
crystals become saturated.

Old August 14th 05, 06:24 PM
King Sardon

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 05:44:13 GMT, Matt Ion
wrote:

A lot of electronics you buy these days, including cameras, have those
little packets of silica "rocks" in them (the baggies labeled "Do not
eat") to absorb mositure in shipping and storage.

I discovered it's particularly handy to keep one each compartment of my
camera bag, especially if I have to pack it in the trunk of the car in
wet or winter weather, or when taking the camera out in the cold and
then bringing it back inside. It really helps to keep down the
condensation.

Silica gel absorbs water from the air until its capacity is used up.
After that, it doesn't absorb any more water and is useless.

But you can regenerate the water-logged silica gel to restore its
water-absorbing powers. This is done by heating it to around 150 C
(300 F), allowing free air flow around the silica gel. Allow it to
cool, covering it quickly so it doesn't start to absorb moisture
again. Don't make the cover air-tight until it has fully cooled, lest
you collapse the container.

This regenerated stuff should be pretty effective, but you are
probably going to need A LOT more than you expect. If your camera bag
is reasonably well sealed, then think around 250 gram (1/2 lb) of
silica gel per cubic foot of space. But a camera bag that is in use is
not going to be well sealed, so much more will be needed. If the bag
is left open to the air then the silical gel will not serve its
intended purpose at all.

One of those silica gel packets probably weighs 1 or 2 grams.

Basically, silica gel is a useful desiccant in spaces that are sealed
off from the outside, but not at all in situations where there is free
access to air.

Don't let any silica gel dust get into your gear.

K.S.
Old August 14th 05, 07:46 PM
Harri Suomalainen

You won't need huge amounts of silica gel. Put a few small bags in and
there it is. One won't do a thing, a few will. They won't last too long.
Regenerate/change them often enough.

Avoid keeping camera bag open more than needed anyway, if you keep it
open a lot you'll need constant changing even with huge amounts of
silica gel!
--
harri
Old August 15th 05, 03:30 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I discovered it's particularly handy to keep one each compartment of my
camera bag, especially if I have to pack it in the trunk of the car in
wet or winter weather, or when taking the camera out in the cold and then
bringing it back inside. It really helps to keep down the condensation.

But don't forget to dry them out in a warm oven occasionally as the
crystals become saturated.

So when the crystals become saturated, you put the camera in a warm oven?

Sorry, when I first read it, it actually thought that's what it meant... for
about five seconds. Long day. :)

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old August 15th 05, 04:11 AM
Tom B. Stone

With winter coming along here in the northern hemisphere sooner than we'd
like, I was thinking about using some of those chemical hand warmer packets
in my camera bag this winter. I never bothered when I was shooting film,
but now that I'm taking my 20D out into the elements, I got to thinking
that the electronics within might need to be kept a little warmer when I'm
out. I believe the batteries aren't too happy when chilled. Any thoughts?

Old April 26th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr

Andy Dee wrote:

But don't forget to dry them out in a warm oven occasionally as the
crystals become saturated.

How warm should the oven be (in degrees) and how long should the
desiccant be left in the oven?

Can I use the little ones that come in my vitamin bottles? If so,
how many should I use with my Dimage Z5? Would it be a good idea to
keep my Z5 sealed in a plastic bag with some desiccant packets when
I am not using it?

Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
It is very hard to type with a 12 pound cat lying on
your arms. So if there are any errors in this message