External flash Vs built in

Old May 16th 05, 02:02 AM
Swingman

Default External flash Vs built in

I'm thinking of adding a Sunpak 383 external flash to my
FZ20 and I wonder specifically how much it will increase
its' forward range? The max rating of the Sunpak is 60 ft.,
but is it really effective at that distance? I often take
pictures of my friend's band performing in theaters. The
light from the stage is not enough and the internal flash
doesn't have the range.

Old June 4th 05, 02:48 AM

Swingman wrote:
I'm thinking of adding a Sunpak 383 external flash to my
FZ20 and I wonder specifically how much it will increase
its' forward range?

A lot.

The max rating of the Sunpak is 60 ft., but is it really effective at that distance?

The guide number is 120. If your lens is f/2, your camera is ISO 100,
then the range is 60ft. If your lens is f/4, then the range is further
halfed to 30ft. If your camera is ISO 400, then the range is doubled...

I often take
pictures of my friend's band performing in theaters. The
light from the stage is not enough and the internal flash
doesn't have the range.

If you use a tele lens longer than 200mm, then put a fresnel lens in
front of the flash.

http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#flash

Old June 4th 05, 09:47 AM
Larry

In article .com, bj286
@scn.org says...
Swingman wrote:
I'm thinking of adding a Sunpak 383 external flash to my
FZ20 and I wonder specifically how much it will increase
its' forward range?

A lot.

The max rating of the Sunpak is 60 ft., but is it really effective at that distance?

The guide number is 120. If your lens is f/2, your camera is ISO 100,
then the range is 60ft. If your lens is f/4, then the range is further
halfed to 30ft. If your camera is ISO 400, then the range is doubled...

I often take
pictures of my friend's band performing in theaters. The
light from the stage is not enough and the internal flash
doesn't have the range.

If you use a tele lens longer than 200mm, then put a fresnel lens in
front of the flash.

http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#flash

I have and use three Sunpak 383 flashes and they are quite good value for
money.

On my Sony F 828 I shoot from 30 to 50 ft from a large dark subject in an
arena that barely has enough light for the camera to focus.

At 40 feet, f3, iso 100, the 838 lights up a horse and rider quite well, and
I have no complaints.

On my Canon 300D at ISO 400, I get quite good results at f4-f5.6 up to 60
feet.

Of course these shots are made in Manual mode.

The much more expensive Sony "Auto Flash" ($200 US) is good only to about 20
feet, and the one time I tried the Canon flash designed for the DRebel, the
camera under exposed so badly, I regreted even wasting the batteries on the
Canon Flash.
--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.