HELP selecting flash please

Old December 2nd 04, 03:26 PM
Paul Bielec

"dantesdead" wrote in message
news:xcwrd.271$Vo.268@lakeread08...
Hi,

I have a Canon Rebel 2000 EOS with a Tamron 28-200 lens. The thing that
drives me nuts about the Canon is the auto focus/red eye "feature" that
blasts subjects with a strobe light in low light situations.

Apparently, a decent flash would stop this feature. I don't know. In low
light do people use manual focus? How can I get candid shots with auto

focus
in low light?

Regardless, I need a better flash than the one that pops up, standard with
the camera.

Suggestions?

Thanks so much. This has been a serious annoyance for me for too long.

I have a Rebel 2000 as well (EOS 300) and a Digital Rebel.
I am about to buy the Speedlite 420ex.
The 220ex has a fixed head and I absolutely want a flash that can be bounced
and swiveled.
On the other hand, the 580 is more that what I need.

Old December 2nd 04, 04:43 PM
Robert Barr

Default HELP selecting flash please

Regardless, I need a better flash than the one that pops up, standard with
the camera.

Suggestions?

It really depends on your budget. The standard 'EX' series would be
fine. I use a 380EX, but it would be considered underpowered by some.

The 220EX, as simple as it is, would get the job done, within its
limited range, and still provide autofocus assist.

For a really tight budget, there are Vivitar (and other aftermarket)
flash units with focus assist. The 730AF is one example, and can be
found dirt cheap. I'm not sure if these function with the E-TTL
(preflash) though -- that'd require a little research.

I've used the 730AF with a film Rebel with pretty good success.

Thanks so much. This has been a serious annoyance for me for too long.

Old December 2nd 04, 05:22 PM
dantesdead

I don't *want* manual focus. AF just isn't working for me right now and I am
wondering how I can successfully use AF in low light situations to get
candid shots, that is, without hitting subjects with light so the camera can
focus before I can shoot.

Thanks!

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
dantesdead wrote:
Hi,

I have a Canon Rebel 2000 EOS with a Tamron 28-200 lens. The thing
that drives me nuts about the Canon is the auto focus/red eye
"feature" that blasts subjects with a strobe light in low light
situations.
Apparently, a decent flash would stop this feature. I don't know. In
low light do people use manual focus? How can I get candid shots with
auto focus in low light?

Why do you want to use manual focus? Auto should work fine with any
fully compatible flash.

Regardless, I need a better flash than the one that pops up, standard
with the camera.

Suggestions?

Thanks so much. This has been a serious annoyance for me for too long.

Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old December 2nd 04, 05:38 PM
dantesdead

Great! Thanks.

The 420 is in my price range. I just want to make sure of two things:

1) Does it matter what lens I use? I am using a Tamron 28-200.
2) Will I now be able to focus on people in low light without them knowing
it? That sounds like I am a stalker or something, but realy I just love
taking candids and need a camera set up that provides light for the shot,
but doesn't alert the subject that the shot is coming.

I really appreciate your help. There are so many choices out there and it
all gets so technical. I have barely enought time to take pictures, let
alone dive into all this information.

Oh, one other thing of minor importance, I also have a Canon G2. Will the
420 work with it?

Thanks again.

Old December 2nd 04, 08:30 PM
dantesdead

Thanks!

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
dantesdead wrote:
Ahhhh. So there it is, IR focus assist vs. pre-flash. Okay. I will be
sure to get a flash with IR.

Make sure it works with your camera. I believe most do, but I don't
know about all.

dantesdead wrote:
I don't *want* manual focus. AF just isn't working for me right now
and I am wondering how I can successfully use AF in low light
situations to get candid shots, that is, without hitting subjects
with light so the camera can focus before I can shoot.

Look to see if the flash has a IR focus assist. No pre-flash

dantesdead wrote:
Hi,

I have a Canon Rebel 2000 EOS with a Tamron 28-200 lens. The thing
that drives me nuts about the Canon is the auto focus/red eye
"feature" that blasts subjects with a strobe light in low light
situations.
Apparently, a decent flash would stop this feature. I don't know.
In low light do people use manual focus? How can I get candid
shots with auto focus in low light?

Why do you want to use manual focus? Auto should work fine with
any fully compatible flash.

Regardless, I need a better flash than the one that pops up,
standard with the camera.

Suggestions?

Thanks so much. This has been a serious annoyance for me for too
long. m

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old December 3rd 04, 10:47 PM
Patrick L.

"dantesdead" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a Canon Rebel 2000 EOS with a Tamron 28-200 lens. The thing that
drives me nuts about the Canon is the auto focus/red eye "feature" that
blasts subjects with a strobe light in low light situations.

Apparently, a decent flash would stop this feature. I don't know. In low
light do people use manual focus? How can I get candid shots with auto

focus
in low light?

Regardless, I need a better flash than the one that pops up, standard with
the camera.

Suggestions?

Thanks so much. This has been a serious annoyance for me for too long.

A simple Sunpack 433 AF TTL for Canon EOS SLRs, (not the "D" model) works
very nicely with the Rebel.

You can probably find one on Ebay for $50.

Patrick