SI - postcard

Old July 3rd 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Harry Lockwood

Default SI - postcard

Here is a shot that I believe would qualify for the postcard SI,
especially if it were in color. The red building, green grass , etc.
would make a colorful postcard that you might find available inside the
building.

But in B&W (film! film!) it seems to have a slightly sinister cast.
Noirish? Hitchcockian? Or am I overreaching?

[Leica M7, 90mm Summicron, XP2]

http://www.pbase.com/hlockwood/image/81606673

HFL

--
Change hlockwood to hflockwood in email address
Old July 3rd 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

On Jul 3, 2:12 pm, Harry Lockwood wrote:
Here is a shot that I believe would qualify for the postcard SI,
especially if it were in color. The red building, green grass , etc.
would make a colorful postcard that you might find available inside the
building.

But in B&W (film! film!) it seems to have a slightly sinister cast.
Noirish? Hitchcockian? Or am I overreaching?

http://www.pbase.com/hlockwood/image/81606673

Another great scene ... ruined by B&W.

Old July 4th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Harry Lockwood

In article ,
That_Rich wrote:

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 18:12:17 GMT, Harry Lockwood
wrote:

Here is a shot that I believe would qualify for the postcard SI,
especially if it were in color. The red building, green grass , etc.
would make a colorful postcard that you might find available inside the
building.

But in B&W (film! film!) it seems to have a slightly sinister cast.
Noirish? Hitchcockian? Or am I overreaching?

[Leica M7, 90mm Summicron, XP2]

http://www.pbase.com/hlockwood/image/81606673

Used an orange filter?

RPŠ

Bare lens, no filter. This is one of my first shots with the 90mm cron,
and I can see that I didn't get the DOF right. I'll be back to the site
next week and do a better job.

HFL

--
Change hlockwood to hflockwood in email address
Old July 4th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Harry Lockwood

In article . com,
Annika1980 wrote:

On Jul 3, 2:12 pm, Harry Lockwood wrote:
Here is a shot that I believe would qualify for the postcard SI,
especially if it were in color. The red building, green grass , etc.
would make a colorful postcard that you might find available inside the
building.

But in B&W (film! film!) it seems to have a slightly sinister cast.
Noirish? Hitchcockian? Or am I overreaching?

http://www.pbase.com/hlockwood/image/81606673

Another great scene ... ruined by B&W.

Thanks, I think.

HFL

--
Change hlockwood to hflockwood in email address
Old July 4th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Harry Lockwood

In article ,
That_Rich wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 00:24:49 GMT, Harry Lockwood

wrote:

[Leica M7, 90mm Summicron, XP2]

http://www.pbase.com/hlockwood/image/81606673

Used an orange filter?

RPŠ

Bare lens, no filter. This is one of my first shots with the 90mm cron,
and I can see that I didn't get the DOF right. I'll be back to the site
next week and do a better job.

That lens has a good deal of contrast... very nice. I *thought* for
sure you had at least a yellow filter mounted.

I recently got my mits on a M4 (50 JAHRE) with a 1:2 / 50mm
Sumicron... Have yet to shoot with it as I will be dropping it for a
CLA first.

Have nice Holiday,

RPŠ
-
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst."

- Henri Cartier-Bresson -

I should have added that this 90mm Cron is of 1983 vintage. I got it,
in Ex condition, in a great deal from Calumet.

Back to you, and everyone here, on holiday wishes.

HFL

--
Change hlockwood to hflockwood in email address
Old July 5th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Jul 4, 4:12 am, Harry Lockwood wrote:
Here is a shot that I believe would qualify for the postcard SI,
especially if it were in color. The red building, green grass , etc.
would make a colorful postcard that you might find available inside the
building.

But in B&W (film! film!) it seems to have a slightly sinister cast.
Noirish? Hitchcockian? Or am I overreaching?

[Leica M7, 90mm Summicron, XP2]

http://www.pbase.com/hlockwood/image/81606673

HFL

--
Change hlockwood to hflockwood in email address

I know this is getting ridiculous, but I can't help thinking two
things about this image - which I like, by the way.

1. It really does cry out for Velvia (*and* a polariser, I reckon -
why go Disneychrome when you can go Super-Disneychrome!)

2. If you took it at a different time of year and maybe from a
slightly different angle, could those leading foreground shadows be
more 'usable'..? I mean they do sorta head for the girl.. but then
they keep going out of frame, and now that I've noticed them... (O:

Old July 5th 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Harry Lockwood

In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the comments, Mark.

As for a color version, I believe the image would then be a simple
reproduction of reality and truly appropriate for a postcard.
Subtraction of color, on the other hand, *adds* a new dimension while
disqualifying it as a postcard. (Besides, in general, I really don't
know how to use color effectively.)

Uh,oh, I think I know where you're going with the "shadows" comment;
I'll keep it in mind.

HFL

--
Change hlockwood to hflockwood in email address
Old July 5th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

My first reaction seeing this was too bad that it wasn't taken landscape
to include the signage on the side of the store and then I realized that
the attraction was the photographic innocence. Powerpole and
powerline shadows, black and white and a just slightly
risque "Farmers Daughter"

Although most post cards are over saturated colors this
"postcard" would sell Color in this image would be a
distraction. I like it.

w..

Old July 5th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Harry Lockwood

Harry Lockwood wrote:

Here is a shot that I believe would qualify for the postcard SI,
especially if it were in color. The red building, green grass , etc.
would make a colorful postcard that you might find available inside the
building.

But in B&W (film! film!) it seems to have a slightly sinister cast.
Noirish? Hitchcockian? Or am I overreaching?

[Leica M7, 90mm Summicron, XP2]

http://www.pbase.com/hlockwood/image/81606673

HFL

--
Change hlockwood to hflockwood in email address

Thanks very much, Walter.

HFL

--
Change hlockwood to hflockwood in email address