Memory Cards

Old April 2nd 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Memory Cards

Hi, all. Are all memory cards equal in quality? Are there any brands
that should be avoided? What about efilm?

Thanks!

Old April 2nd 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Today VI Photo Gifts commented courteously on the subject at
hand

Hi, all. Are all memory cards equal in quality? Are there
any brands that should be avoided? What about efilm?

I have both Lexar and SanDisk CF cards. The Lexars were
originally purchased for my now defunct Nikon 5700. I bought the
SanDisk after the store droid scared the hell outta me by saying
that Lexar isn't supported by Canon and they suffer sudden,
catastrophic loss of all images.

I subsequently investigated the Lexar thingy on Canon cameras
and found that (allegedly) it is only early built 80X cards 1GB
and larger. These were supposedly recalled and the newer ones
are (again, allegedly) OK.

In some 5,000 pictures with my Rebel XT using both brands, I
have not seen a single problem.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

"Whether You Think You CAN Or CAN'T, You're Right." – Henry Ford
Old April 2nd 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"VI Photo Gifts" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, all. Are all memory cards equal in quality? Are there any brands
that should be avoided? What about efilm?

Thanks!

I use Lexar, SanDisk, Kingston and Viking brands in both Secure Digital and
Compact Flash. Haven't had a single problem with any of them so far.

Old April 2nd 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 2006-04-02, VI Photo Gifts wrote:
Hi, all. Are all memory cards equal in quality? Are there any brands
that should be avoided? What about efilm?

I have two 1 GB cards one is Kingston and one is SanDisk (Ultra II).
I only use Sandisk... I don't have anything against Kingston but that
is just a 'normal' CF card and SanDisk is much faster =)

So don't care so much about brand (probably Kingston, Sandist etc. are
good enough). If you have camera what is fast enough think more what
'speed' card you need cos there is big dífference example between my
Kingston and SanDisk on my Canon 20D camera.

--
Petri Lopia :: lid
Firework, Lightning, sun, moon, nature etc. photos
Old April 2nd 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"John A. Stovall" wrote in message
On 2 Apr 2006 05:13:39 -0700, "VI Photo Gifts"
wrote:

Hi, all. Are all memory cards equal in quality? Are there any brands
that should be avoided? What about efilm?

No, I use only SanDisk Extreme III's.

You may correctly state that portion of your reply following the comma. The
first word might require some form of objective qualifying data.
Dave Cohen

Old April 2nd 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

VI Photo Gifts wrote:
Hi, all. Are all memory cards equal in quality? Are there any brands
that should be avoided? What about efilm?

Thanks!

As one poster stated, the primary difference between cards is speed. Do
be sure that you pay attention to that if you have a camera that can
take advantage of faster cards. I certainly notice the difference
between my older cards and something like a Sandisk Ultra III.

So (1), pay attention to speed.

Two other considerations:

(2), Some cards, notably Sandisk, are designed to work under harsher
than average environmental conditions. Whether or not there is really a
difference at sub-zero temperatures is up for debate, but they are at
least built fairly well.

(3), Always buy from a name brand manufacturer. While in theory the
flash is all about the same, the main difference between a name brand
and a generic one is often quality control. It is possible to push
prices down on generic flash by simply lowering the standards for a
"passing" product. Anything from Lexar, Sandisk, Kodak, Kingston, etc
should be fine, as these folks all have a brand to protect and will
have at least some quality standards.

-drew