Scanning or post processing Question

Old February 9th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Scanning or post processing Question

I have scanned a photo that was printed on a pebble finish paper. The
texture of the finish is coming through on the scan. I would like to get
rid of it. Any suggestions about scanning technique, scanner, or post
processing that would reduce or eliminate the problem?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old February 9th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
I have scanned a photo that was printed on a pebble finish paper. The
texture of the finish is coming through on the scan. I would like to get
rid of it. Any suggestions about scanning technique, scanner, or post
processing that would reduce or eliminate the problem?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Work through the options for 'Noise Reduction' in Photoshop or PSP if you

have them.

Old February 9th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
I have scanned a photo that was printed on a pebble finish paper. The
texture of the finish is coming through on the scan. I would like to get
rid of it. Any suggestions about scanning technique, scanner, or post
processing that would reduce or eliminate the problem?

It's not what I'd call a problem, more a feature. It simply indicates that
your scanner is doing its job - how can you expect the scanner or its
software to know that what it perceives as a 2D image isn't really 2D, but
has a 3D element, and that it should ignore the latter?

Old February 9th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Joseph Meehan wrote:
I have scanned a photo that was printed on a pebble finish paper.
The texture of the finish is coming through on the scan. I would
like to get rid of it. Any suggestions about scanning technique,
scanner, or post processing that would reduce or eliminate the
problem?

I've read that scanning twice at 180-degree difference in orientation,
overlaying and blending might help.

Don't remember if scantips.com addresses this.

--
Frank ess

Old February 10th 06, 08:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

A lot of professinal photographers use such a finish to reduce
customers ability to copy the photos they took for them and get a good
result.

I agree with Jason. I'd open it in Photoshop and reduce the noise, or
try the blur option wih a soft brush at a low opacity to soften the
effect. If your Photoshop has the "healing brush" you can also try
that again, soft brush and low opacity or zoom in VERY tight and try
the clone stamp using an area that isn't affected to "copy" over one
that is. Patience and a soft hand can correct it pretty well. Always
make a "duplicate" of your image and "practice" on the copy so you can
try different options without ruining your original and zoom IN as much
as possible so you're working on a small area instead of a large one.
If you are talented with PS you might even try to add a layer on top of
your image and "paint" in the most obvious areas...but when I say
talented I mean TALENTED...I wouldn't even attempt it myself, but I'm
no pro.

Good luck!

Old February 11th 06, 12:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Frank ess wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
I have scanned a photo that was printed on a pebble finish paper.
The texture of the finish is coming through on the scan. I would
like to get rid of it. Any suggestions about scanning technique,
scanner, or post processing that would reduce or eliminate the
problem?

I've read that scanning twice at 180-degree difference in orientation,
overlaying and blending might help.

Don't remember if scantips.com addresses this.

Interesting idea. I will give it a try.

Thanks

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old February 11th 06, 12:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Helen wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
I have scanned a photo that was printed on a pebble finish paper.
The texture of the finish is coming through on the scan. I would
like to get rid of it. Any suggestions about scanning technique,
scanner, or post processing that would reduce or eliminate the
problem?

It's not what I'd call a problem, more a feature.

It is a problem (for me) and it is not what I would call a feature.

It simply indicates
that your scanner is doing its job -

I agree with that. I am asking it to do something it was not designed
for nor did the manufacturer make any claims for. It is not a flaw.

Old February 11th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

HeritageMom wrote:
A lot of professinal photographers use such a finish to reduce
customers ability to copy the photos they took for them and get a good
result.

In this case no. I was working at the studio that did the work (40+
years ago) I might have done the printing. The choice of paper was based on
consumer choice and the ability of the textured paper to soften a portrait
which was the style at the time. Consumers copying images was not much of
an issue back then.

[...]

Some good ideas. I will give them another try. Thanks

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old February 11th 06, 12:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jason wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
I have scanned a photo that was printed on a pebble finish
paper. The texture of the finish is coming through on the scan. I
would like to get rid of it. Any suggestions about scanning
technique, scanner, or post processing that would reduce or
eliminate the problem?

I don't think PS Elements has it, but still a good idea. Thanks.