close up with Canon p'shot A40

Old December 13th 05, 12:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

Default close up with Canon p'shot A40

Dear r.p.d.p+s,

I would like to understand how to take decent close up shots
using my Canon powershot A40. The system seems highly configurable
and has macro function, however I don't know the quality of such
features and how to get the best results.

My subject is a small white hamster who doesn't stay still much.
She doesn't like the flash, so I can use some soft lighting from lamps etc.

I would like to find:

A good article on close up photography for the beginnner
A good article on how to achieve good results with modest hardware
A good article on how to accomplish this specifically with an A40.
A good article for close ups on small animals.

Many thanks for any input.

Rob (and Lottie)