Photo software

Old October 17th 05, 03:35 PM
Thames_side

Default Photo software

I have ACDSee supplied with my camera. It seems OK but not teribly clever.
Can anyone tell me what is the best software to get for storing, sorting and
modifying digital photos.

Old October 18th 05, 04:54 AM
MartinS

"Thames_side" wrote:

I have ACDSee supplied with my camera. It seems OK but not teribly
clever. Can anyone tell me what is the best software to get for
storing, sorting and modifying digital photos.

IrfanView is pretty versatile, for the price. (It's free!)
Of course, it doesn't do everything that Photoshop does.

--
Martin S.
Old October 18th 05, 06:19 PM
Rob Weekhout

Thames_side schreef:
I have ACDSee supplied with my camera. It seems OK but not teribly clever.
Can anyone tell me what is the best software to get for storing, sorting and
modifying digital photos.

Try Picasa2.
Distributed by Google (!) and its free : www.picasa.com

* Beautiful user interface

* It can also easily make a rather nice (but straight forward) web page
of pictures you choose.

* It can do several photo-enhancements, but the original file is NOT
affected !! (it creates an .ini-file, where the enhancements are stored in)

* you can make backups

etc. etc. etc.

Please give it a try !

Rob.
Old October 19th 05, 04:44 AM
Brigitte

"Rob Weekhout" wrote in message
. nl...
Thames_side schreef:
I have ACDSee supplied with my camera. It seems OK but not teribly

clever.
Can anyone tell me what is the best software to get for storing, sorting

and
modifying digital photos.

Try Picasa2.
Distributed by Google (!) and its free : www.picasa.com

* Beautiful user interface

* It can also easily make a rather nice (but straight forward) web page
of pictures you choose.

* It can do several photo-enhancements, but the original file is NOT
affected !! (it creates an .ini-file, where the enhancements are stored

in)

* you can make backups

etc. etc. etc.

Please give it a try !

Rob.

Thanks Rob. I like this program.

Brigitte

Old October 19th 05, 06:27 PM
Rob Weekhout

Thames_side schreef:

[...]

Brigitte,

One important thing.
I have read several reactions from new Picasa-users that they didn't
like the way Picasa handles your folders on your harddisk.
They all thought Picasa made a mass of it. Nothing of that kind !.
Remember that all your subfolders are being seen as "stand-alone"v
folders within Picasa.
So when you give your photofolders a name like : "yyyy_foldername" you
can find them easily in your Picasa library.

One other thing : your menu-item "tools"
(or is it the menu-item "extra" ?, because I have the Dutch
Picasa-version !!)
has an option something like "folder-watcher" or something like that.
Here you can tell Picasa what folders should constantly be watched and
which absolutely do NOT.

Further on :
read the on-line manual
visit the picasa forum
read the online support-page of Picasa
mail me if you want to know more and hate to read manuals
remove the "NOSPAM" from my emailadress.

Rob.
Old October 20th 05, 01:25 AM
Morton Linder

Rob Weekhout wrote:
Thames_side schreef:

I have ACDSee supplied with my camera. It seems OK but not teribly
clever. Can anyone tell me what is the best software to get for
storing, sorting and modifying digital photos.

Try Picasa2.
Distributed by Google (!) and its free : www.picasa.com

* Beautiful user interface

* It can also easily make a rather nice (but straight forward) web page
of pictures you choose.

* It can do several photo-enhancements, but the original file is NOT
affected !! (it creates an .ini-file, where the enhancements are stored
in)

* you can make backups

etc. etc. etc.

Please give it a try !

Rob.

Hi,

I agree that Picasa2 is excellent. It sharpens nicely with one
keystroke, can crop manually or to a format, can change brightness,
contrast, color, etc.. Verticals can be rotated to appear vertically
onscreen with no detail loss or pixel loss. Your changes are kept
separately from the original image, which remains pristine and lossless.
It is free.

Morton

Old October 22nd 05, 05:47 PM
Thames_side

Thanks for all the input. Picasa certainly seems popular. Anybody tried
Adobe Photoshop Elements?

Doug

Old October 22nd 05, 08:42 PM
Markeau

ACDSee is excellent, well at least the full version is ... I use it
for photo management and as a front-end to 3 different editing tools:
- Adobe Photoshop CS2
- Adobe Photoshop Elements
- Microsoft Digital Image

..... I suggest downloading the Elements trial at
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/main.html

Old December 3rd 05, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

"Markeau" wrote in message
ACDSee is excellent, well at least the full version is ... I use it for
photo management and as a front-end to 3 different editing tools:
- Adobe Photoshop CS2
- Adobe Photoshop Elements
- Microsoft Digital Image

.... I suggest downloading the Elements trial at
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/main.html

"Thames_side" wrote in message
I have ACDSee supplied with my camera. It seems OK but not teribly clever.
Can anyone tell me what is the best software to get for storing, sorting
and modifying digital photos.

I use Serif PhotoPlus for serious editing and did use Irfanviewfor for quick
image adjustment resizing/resampling etc. It's my default viewer.
I recently downloaded FastStone. This is an excellent replacement for
Irfanview and is superior except for batch resampling/renaming, for which
Irfanview is still tops.
After all the fuss over Picasa, I dowloaded and tried Picasa2. In the
absence of those mentioned above I suppose it would be a good choice, but I
much prefer FastStone.
The choice of a more serious editor is more difficult. Prior to retirement,
I could evaluate applications as part of my job for free. I certainly can't
go out and get say elements, Photo Shop, Paint Shop Pro etc.to determine
which I like best. Since I already use Serif PagePlus and have been doing so
for many years, I was able to get PhotoPlus as part of a good offer. It does
far more than I will ever use. I did download The Gimp, this is probably
excellent, but I don't like the interface and probably will continue with
what I have. I should add that I use my own scheme for storing cataloging
pics, so that might be a factor in what I have said above.
Dave Cohen